Walsall v Blackburn, Sat, 24 Feb 2018, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Best Christmas Movie of All Time

Die Hard
38%
Lethal Weapon
No votes
Die Hard 2
No votes
Batman Returns
13%
Gremlins
13%
Reindeer Games
No votes
Home Alone
13%
_____________-----------____________
No votes
------------------________-----------------
25%

Total votes: 8

thehatts
Ageing international

Re: Walsall v Blackburn, Sat, 24 Feb 2018, KO 15:00

Post by thehatts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:33 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:06 pm
I'm not sure how goals are a luxury.....
If you don’t help to defend or hold the ball up properly you put your defence under pressure. For all his goals and ruddy’s we still didn’t even make the playoffs :shrug:

As soon as his goals dried up in his last season for us he was not needed any more. We cashed in at the right time. He has continued his terrible form for numerous clubs since leaving. Why would you want an 8m player producing blanks in your squad. Fair enough if he left us and he found his form again. It’s a rarity to see Rhodes pop up with a goal these past few seasons. I hope we sign him for £2.50 and he finds his form again but this time I hope we have a team that can cope with all his faults.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:49 pm

Blackbat we've done this before, you always seem to forget that Rhodes put in a transfer request and asked to leave.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:50 pm

After he was pretty much forced out, yeah.

And it still doesn't change the fact we're a weaker squad, nor that Danny Graham didn't replace Steele and Lowe as you seemed to suggest.... ;)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:51 pm

thehatts wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:33 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
If you don’t help to defend or hold the ball up properly you put your defence under pressure. For all his goals and ruddy’s we still didn’t even make the playoffs :shrug:

As soon as his goals dried up in his last season for us he was not needed any more. We cashed in at the right time. He has continued his terrible form for numerous clubs since leaving. Why would you want an 8m player producing blanks in your squad. Fair enough if he left us and he found his form again. It’s a rarity to see Rhodes pop up with a goal these past few seasons. I hope we sign him for £2.50 and he finds his form again but this time I hope we have a team that can cope with all his faults.
For all his goals we didn't make the playoffs, no. But for all your hero Danny Graham (his replacement)'s goals, we went down.

Your point?

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:00 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:51 pm
thehatts wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:33 pm
mrblackbat wrote:

For all his goals we didn't make the playoffs, no. But for all your hero Danny Graham (his replacement)'s goals, we went down.

Your point?
Point is he scored more goals in the first 10 games he played compared to the last 10 games Rhodes played for us. All in the same division. Money in the bank and more goals. Job done. Perfect transfer. I’m happy at the mo. Some people you just can’t please.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:16 pm

But we still went down. Sounds like a luxury we can't afford to me.... :yeahright:

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:23 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:50 pm

And it still doesn't change the fact we're a weaker squad, nor that Danny Graham didn't replace Steele and Lowe as you seemed to suggest.... ;)
I was making a general point about players. And the stats suggest we've been better off with Graham over Rhodes, so you're actual point is also wrong.

You're allowed to say you were wrong about Graham, it's okay ;)

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:28 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:16 pm
But we still went down. Sounds like a luxury we can't afford to me.... :yeahright:
But Rhodes 1 goal in 10 games sent us on our way to relegation. We got out at the right time.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:43 pm

The 10 that Rhodes had already scored did more to save us than Graham's 7. And then we went down woth a season of Graham.

I know who I'd choose to have in my team.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:44 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:23 pm
mrblackbat wrote:

I was making a general point about players. And the stats suggest we've been better off with Graham over Rhodes, so you're actual point is also wrong.

Graham's been a decent signing. But I'd still rather have a team built around a player like Rhodes and be pushing for promotion to the PL, or perhaps already there, than likely getting promoted from League 1.

Who knows how many Rhodes would have scored if we'd not hired Lambert and continued to use him to his strengths. I dispute Graham's stats are better. For us, Rhodes scored 83 in 159 league appearances.

The wiki page isn't quite up to date, but at the 6th Jan Graham had scored 17 in 53. He's popped a few more in since then, but is no where near as prolific.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:01 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:44 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:23 pm
mrblackbat wrote:

Graham's been a decent signing. But I'd still rather have a team built around a player like Rhodes and be pushing for promotion to the PL, or perhaps already there, than likely getting promoted from League 1.

Who knows how many Rhodes would have scored if we'd not hired Lambert and continued to use him to his strengths. I dispute Graham's stats are better. For us, Rhodes scored 83 in 159 league appearances.

The wiki page isn't quite up to date, but at the 6th Jan Graham had scored 17 in 53. He's popped a few more in since then, but is no where near as prolific.
Could have been more or could have been less. Who knows. Different managers have struggled to get the goals out of Rhodes since. I would sooner have messi but needs must. We needed the cash. We were massively on a downward trend even with Rhodes. I might be wrong here because I can’t be bothered to check. Since falling out of the premier league have we finished lower each season? You need to remember we were massively in a relegation battle in Rhodes last season. He was misfiring and had 1 in his last 10 games before he requested to leave us. Which could be a reason for his bad form. We got a cheaper alternative who straight away scored more goals. Seems good enough to me. Chances our even with Rhodes and the fact we got worse each season we probably would have been relegated with him. Any way i’m More than happy at the mo.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:09 pm

No we haven't finished lower each season, we were improving under Bowyer. Of course then we sacked him and replaced him with someone determined to dismantle that progress.....

Happy in League 1? Ambitious, then....

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:31 pm

For all the goals he scored for us I wouldn't have Rhodes back - I still wonder what happened to Rocky Santa Cruz- he left as a superb goalscorer, came back as poo.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:37 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:09 pm
No we haven't finished lower each season, we were improving under Bowyer. Of course then we sacked him and replaced him with someone determined to dismantle that progress.....

Happy in League 1? Ambitious, then....
We finished championship in the order below. We did get worse each season.

8th
9th
15th
22nd

My ambition is to get back to championship with a better squad than the one we went down with. Add some players and try to sneak a playoff place. Something we never managed to do with a multi million pound squad.

I’m still happy being top and can see progress with the squad. Even you can bring me down :hyper:

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:39 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:31 pm
For all the goals he scored for us I wouldn't have Rhodes back - I still wonder what happened to Rocky Santa Cruz- he left as a superb goalscorer, came back as poo.
I would get him back but only if dirt cheap and within the wage structure. Also only if TM could get him to become a more well rounded striker.