Blackburn v Wigan Athletic, Sunday 4th March 2018, KO 12 high noon

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

To poll or not to poll?

That is the question
No votes
Whether tis nobler for the mind to suffer the gibbons and kestrels of outrageous fortune
25%
Something something something, Igor Tudor
No votes
Frequently Asked Quokkas
No votes
Finding the right balance between resentment for Rovers current position and happiness
8%
The deluge of Nordic Bakeware Bake-Off Championship episodes on Friday night
8%
Watching Miss Marple (which you did not buy from Amazon, but they decided to throw it in with the cookbooks and slippers you bought) and realizing the production value of the movies is absolute crap, but you enjoy it anyway because it is so underwhelming and over the top.
25%
Attempting to be more over the top then the movie "Over the Top" with Sylvester Stallone.
No votes
Enjoying 80 degrees and sunny down on Bourbon Street (26.66666667 Celsius for the rest of the world)
17%
Last Option
17%

Total votes: 12

Joe
Ageing international

Re: Blackburn v Wigan Athletic, Sunday 4th March 2018, KO 12 high noon

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:41 am

Would have taken a point before the game.

But after being 2-0 up it was a bitter pill to swallow to end up with a draw.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:55 am

Routine??? Clanger??? Wow very harsh in my view. Just watched it again and how you can say it wasn’t a great free kick is beyond me. The pace and whip on it was fantastic. Bodies in the way and the bouce makes it very hard for Raya.

bobbyoc
Promising youngster

Post by bobbyoc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 am

Gaz wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:55 am
Routine??? Clanger??? Wow very harsh in my view. Just watched it again and how you can say it wasn’t a great free kick is beyond me. The pace and whip on it was fantastic. Bodies in the way and the bouce makes it very hard for Raya.
Agree, it was one of those free kicks that are a balls for keepers to deal with. No foul in my opinion, but give credit where it is due, excellent free kick.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Gaz wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:55 am
Strange. There's an angle on the Sky Sports' highlights from right behind Raya, showing no one was in his line of sight. And I'm not sure why you're making a deal out of the bounce, Raya wrong-footed himself by going too far to the right and couldn't dive back for it whatever height it passed by at. It wasn't like the Pedersen ones we used to see where he'd swing it right across the goal mouth to the back post. This crossed the goalline dead centre, coming in from a narrow angle. If it's acceptable to let that in why bother with a goalie?

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Bodies in the way, yes, I can see how Raya might have been distracted, but he should be saving that. I'd also argue that it shouldn't have made it through in the first place, there were no defenders anywhere near it.
2:10 on the highlights

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Generally speaking the games I've seen live or on TV in full I've been fairly disappointed and frustrated with the standard and consistency of the referring at this level. Whether we had players at fault or not the freedom at which Wigan could get freekicks was something I also saw against Portsmouth and the decision for the freekick for the second is just ridiculous.

Putting referees to one side we're good enough to secure one of the top 2 spots but we simply have to defend better as a team, considering how good we are and yes it's great to have Lenihan back we conceded too many soft goals still that are often of our own making. You look at the table alone we've scored 8 more goals than Wigan and 22 more than Shrewsbury, but we've conceded 9 more than Shrewsbury and 15 more than Wigan.

We have absolutely no issue scoring goals, we're the best and most potent attacking force in the division but over these last few games we could do with defending better as a team and I don't feel that'll be at the expense of our attacking flair, it's often just silly errors leading to a turnover of play, or giving away silly freekicks.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:19 pm

Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:12 pm
I'd also argue that it shouldn't have made it through in the first place, there were no defenders anywhere near it.
This. You put your keeper in the position of having to make a decision between covering a touch from a number of players or going for the ball assuming no touch. It's 50/50. The issue is in allowing the ball to get there in the first place.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:37 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:19 pm
Dan wrote:
I'd also argue that it shouldn't have made it through in the first place, there were no defenders anywhere near it.
This. You put your keeper in the position of having to make a decision between covering a touch from a number of players or going for the ball assuming no touch. It's 50/50. The issue is in allowing the ball to get there in the first place.
Yeah I'm more of this opinion. In those situations a keeper gets in a position where they have to anticipate a split second reaction to any touch on the ball, which is why you see so many of these types of goals every season when it doesn't get a touch at all. The main thing is blocking the ball getting into the cliched 'corridor of uncertainty' and it was a relatively low hard delivery and although Armstrong was 10 yards as a token wall we should have had bodies in line of the back post and ball between the 6 and 18 yard box which would then have been a simple header away from danger.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Pause the video just before the ball goes in, there are two strikers that have got goalside of our defenders and are following in looking for a touch. The ball has come in quickly, but the defenders have to stay between the attackers and the goal, otherwise they can't hope to clear anything.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:18 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:19 pm
Dan wrote:
Well it's all part of the same issue - if you give the defenders the job of cutting out the ball before an attacker gets to it, then your 'keeper doesn't need to make a 50/50 choice, he just has to make sure he's in position to gather the ball if it evades everyone else. Then you're covered either way.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:47 pm

The problem is Raya didn't do his job: make sure it doesn't go in direct from the freekick. Yes the defence also let their men get the slip, but that's irrelevant if the keeper just lets it go in direct.

Poor goalkeeping.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:21 am

Its not the first time Raya has been caught out with crosses into the penalty area. The last time was away at Portsmouth. One gaff every now and then can be over looked especially when Rovers win but when it starts to cost points that is when it gets highlighted.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:53 am

Should be saving that.

But he's a very good goalkeeper. His distribution and confidence on the ball is something you're lucky to get at this level. His shot stopping in general has been good too. Needs to control his box more though.....hopefully he's young enough to learn...

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:23 am

He's made some incredible saves this season, errors are human and I don't think he's solely to blame for that goal at all. He'll look at it, see what he could have done better, and move on. It's a slightly dodgy position, from a ball that he would be expecting to come in as a cross rather than a shot on target, and he's had a fraction of a second to react to the lack of defenders to be getting near it. It's not in the same league of mistake as clearing the ball into a defender, mis-controlling a backpass, standing statuesque as the ball rolls past etc.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 am

This ^