Blackburn v Wigan Athletic, Sunday 4th March 2018, KO 12 high noon

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

To poll or not to poll?

That is the question
No votes
Whether tis nobler for the mind to suffer the gibbons and kestrels of outrageous fortune
25%
Something something something, Igor Tudor
No votes
Frequently Asked Quokkas
No votes
Finding the right balance between resentment for Rovers current position and happiness
8%
The deluge of Nordic Bakeware Bake-Off Championship episodes on Friday night
8%
Watching Miss Marple (which you did not buy from Amazon, but they decided to throw it in with the cookbooks and slippers you bought) and realizing the production value of the movies is absolute crap, but you enjoy it anyway because it is so underwhelming and over the top.
25%
Attempting to be more over the top then the movie "Over the Top" with Sylvester Stallone.
No votes
Enjoying 80 degrees and sunny down on Bourbon Street (26.66666667 Celsius for the rest of the world)
17%
Last Option
17%

Total votes: 12

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Blackburn v Wigan Athletic, Sunday 4th March 2018, KO 12 high noon

Post by WacoRover » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:55 pm

It could have been more, but I will take this result. We didn’t lose ground today.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:59 pm

Fair result. Made them fight for it. Just really disappointed to give a goal away off that free kick. Everyone caught flat footed.

bobbyoc
Promising youngster

Post by bobbyoc » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:33 pm

Thought we really let them back into the game, they scored 2 goals without really threatening too much. Lenihan looked solid and aggressive which is good to see. Main thing, we didn’t lose and are still top, need to continue to pick up the wins now starting next week. And hope Wigan and Shrewsbury mess up along the way.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:35 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:55 pm
It could have been more, but I will take this result. We didn’t lose ground today.
Sure we did. Shrewsbury can finish above us now and there’s nothing we can do about it. That wasn’t the case before kick off. ;)

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:27 pm

We kept giving away free kicks just outside the penalty area - one led to the goal. Something that Mowbray will have to work on.
After today I expect Wigan to enter the diving championships at the next Olympics, they are assured of a gold.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:35 pm
WacoRover wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:55 pm
Sure we did. Shrewsbury can finish above us now and there’s nothing we can do about it. That wasn’t the case before kick off. ;)
I should have said we did not lose ground to Wigan.

But with 10 to play, we could conceivably fall behind Rotherham, & even Plymouth. Even the most hopeful of us never believed we would win all 11 games. We are still in good shape. Wigan is still our chief competition, & we are still 5 points up. I know that can evaporate quickly, but we took 2 pts from Wigan this year.

I am not feeling despondent about the possibilities for promotion.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:35 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:00 pm
Thought the second really was a foul but watching it back they effectively foul each other and the ref let's it play on so it was just about okay.

We've looked really lively in the final third :hyper:
It evened up with the obvious penalty on Dack that wasn't given... And then swung their way with that really soft foul for their second.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:40 pm

Raya at fault for Wigan's second goal. The goal keeper must command his six yard area. He is bloody awful with any kind of cross put into the area. But saying that defensively Rovers as a unit are average and have been found out against decent teams and even some not so decent teams this season. Offensively Rovers are great at scoring goals and this is the main reason they are top of the league. Will Rovers finish in the top two?...yes they will and hopefully it will not be confirmed on the last day. Wigan have a major headache with the FA Cup. I can see them making the semi finals but we have seen progression in the cup can cost them league points.

gokap
New signing

Post by gokap » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Attack - Our 2 goals were great to watch. Dack showed excellent vision and ability with the assists. Adam and Bennett took the chances with composure. There was time in the game for 1-2 more goals, but we didn't have the same purpose in attack later on with many hopeful shots.

Defence - Nice work in stopping Wigan from creating clear cut opportunities, especially on the ground. We looked more susceptible in the air. Wigan has tall physical players and that was a little intimidating for our defence, I thought. Raya is a short lean goalie and seems under confident with crosses into the box.

Wigan were lucky today, the ref trying to even the game after the "missed foul" against Dack. Wigan player was totally bear hugging Dack before Dack broke free, having to pull the opponent off him.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:52 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:35 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:00 pm
Thought the second really was a foul but watching it back they effectively foul each other and the ref let's it play on so it was just about okay.

We've looked really lively in the final third :hyper:
It evened up with the obvious penalty on Dack that wasn't given... And then swung their way with that really soft foul for their second.
Agreed. By the end of the second half I felt hard done by. Grigg and Vaughan were very good at winning extremely soft and cheap free kicks.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:40 pm
Raya at fault for Wigan's second goal. The goal keeper must command his six yard area. He is bloody awful with any kind of cross put into the area. But saying that defensively Rovers as a unit are average and have been found out against decent teams and even some not so decent teams this season. Offensively Rovers are great at scoring goals and this is the main reason they are top of the league. Will Rovers finish in the top two?...yes they will and hopefully it will not be confirmed on the last day. Wigan have a major headache with the FA Cup. I can see them making the semi finals but we have seen progression in the cup can cost them league points.
Incredibly harsh on Raya in my opinion. Was an excellent free kick, fizzed in, bodies in the way and bounced awquardly in front of him.

I thought defensively we looked pretty solid today. Lenihan was fantastic and I don’t remember them once carving us open.

Disappointing to let a 2 goal lead slip but I still think we will be in the top 2 come the end of the season!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:40 pm

Raya totally flapped at it, in my opinion. It was a good dangerous freekick, but I still feel he should have done better. If someone had connected and belted it in, fair enough, but without a contact that altered the flight he should be able to stop it.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:44 am

2 goal leads are fucking hard. Don't d
Mind me, I'm drunk

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:48 am

stillgrowling wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:27 pm
We kept giving away free kicks just outside the penalty area - one led to the goal. Something that Mowbray will have to work on.
Some fouls were naive, but no amount of training can prevent a ref giving a freekick against you for a phantom foul like the one that led to the goal. That said, it should have been routine for Raya to collect it, but he looked more concerned about being bumped into than stopping the ball. Disappointing that such a mistake has cost us a big advantage in the promotion race.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:23 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:40 pm
Raya totally flapped at it, in my opinion. It was a good dangerous freekick, but I still feel he should have done better. If someone had connected and belted it in, fair enough, but without a contact that altered the flight he should be able to stop it.
It wasn't that great a free kick, straight into the centre of the goal, and no one really got close to getting a touch on it. Raya was watching the players running in rather than getting behind the flight of the ball and moved too far to the right. As far as goalkeeping errors go, it was a real clanger.