blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by mcteeth » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:06 am
If Gibbon designed Rochina, he's got some explaining to do.
How dare you take his name in vain :evil:

If we'd have kept Rochina we'd have never been relegated last season instead of wasting all of our money on Danny 'The Relegator who earns less but scores more than Rhodes' Graham.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27189
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:20 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:16 pm
Ethiaa wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:00 pm
Or we would have gone down without his goals and we could then ask should we have diverted the chunk of the wage bill paid to fund other signings to him to in an attempt to avoid the drop? Absoultely, when the worst that could happen is what happened anyway. Pointless whatiffing boys.
Well, no, because we know that we were relegated after signing Graham, that's a certainty, it actually happened. That's not true if you try to reverse the argument. :lol:
Correct - it's a total uncertainty. You are therefore arguing we should have magically seen into the future in order to do something for which we still don't know the outcome. I have rarely seen such a pointless waste of finger movement.

*** and deleting it afterwards compounds that waste - think of the children! :D
No magic powers required to understand the value in spending wisely. I first made the point before we signed Graham and I'm not claiming to be clairvoyant. I was just applying a bit of nous... :D

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13622
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:09 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:52 pm
I think Toppers needs some straws to clutch.
You're just as bad!

stillgrowling
Promising youngster
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:58 am
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by stillgrowling » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Fans that don't get to many matches will point to Graham's goal scoring record. Those of us that go regularly know that he adds much more than that. I've not seen many players that can play with their back to the goal, shield the ball and pass to other attackers as well as Graham. Rhodes, for all his goals, never had that ability.
Graham has been a cracking signing - he played well in the Premiership, has played well for us in the First Division, and will do so next year in the Championship.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27189
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:39 pm
As yours is an assumption to suit your argument - that was exactly the point of my post - to highlight what a FUCKING WASTE OF TIME IT IS. Oh look, my fingers fell off in protest at the stupidity of it all.
No, no assumption on my part. We did sign Graham, we did get relegated, that part is fact. Had we signed someone else, then a variety of outcomes could have realistically occurred, the worst being that we'd be relegated anyway. That's also fact. So you can factually say if we'd signed someone else we could do no worse than what happened. But you can't turn it round and treat the given as the variable and the variable as the given. That doesn't work... :lol:

You're dying of thirst, you have two flasks of different unidentified liquids. Having drunk the first and discovered it was poison and died, it's fair to say with hindsight you should have taken your chances with the other instead. It doesn't stand to reason to say since the other flask could also contain poison we may as well have drunk the one we did.

User avatar
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro
Posts: 6864
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:56 pm

But did you buy one flask outright and borrow the other from someone else? :idea:

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27189
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:56 pm
But did you buy one flask outright and borrow the other from someone else? :idea:
:lol: Indeed.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17967
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by Gibbon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:04 pm

What if we’d signed Graham but made him wear a waistcoat when he played? Maybe then we would have stayed up?

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27189
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:04 pm
What if we’d signed Graham but made him wear a waistcoat when he played? Maybe then we would have stayed up?
Improbable, but maybe if it had a few sequins on it it could have dazzled goalies and led to the extra goals we needed? :idea:

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by mcteeth » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:15 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:09 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:52 pm
I think Toppers needs some straws to clutch.
You're just as bad!
Sometimes, but certainly not on this occasion.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14790
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:33 am

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:11 pm
You specifically thought the signing of Graham was poor business at the time and that just simply hasn't been the case.
Nope, you're getting confused again and have stamped your own incorrect interpretation on what was said. ;)

I know its easy to argue against something you make up but you really should go back and check. ;)
mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:39 pm
Graham would be a good signing, but if you count him as a must and a replacement for a consistent 20+ goal a season striker, then it really gives an indication of how far we've slid and how low your expectations must be.
:yeahright:

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27189
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:33 am
mcteeth wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:11 pm
You specifically thought the signing of Graham was poor business at the time and that just simply hasn't been the case.
Nope, you're getting confused again and have stamped your own incorrect interpretation on what was said. ;)

I know its easy to argue against something you make up but you really should go back and check. ;)
mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:39 pm
Graham would be a good signing, but if you count him as a must and a replacement for a consistent 20+ goal a season striker, then it really gives an indication of how far we've slid and how low your expectations must be.
:yeahright:
Maybe it's just in Rovers' DNA: why would we want Zinedine Zidane when we have Tim Sherwood/Garry Flitcroft*? I could understand if there was a counter argument putting forward advantages for signing a PL-salaried journeyman with a modest strike rate - I know there are some, although they obviously don't sway my own opinion. But it seems for some, Graham is in the side therefore he is untouchable. There was a similar reaction from some to Raya getting criticised for Wigan's second goal, with nameless defenders being blamed for not having go-go-gadget legs rather than a recognition that a young League 1 'keeper can make a mistake from time to time. We have a good team for this level, we're not top by accident. But I'm not expecting Real Madrid to be sniffing around after our players this summer, every position can be improved on, including those occupied by current crowd favourites. Imagine how things would have worked out if we hadn't signed Shearer in '92 because Speedie had done a good job...


* Depending on who's retelling the myth...

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by mcteeth » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:26 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:33 am
mcteeth wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:11 pm
You specifically thought the signing of Graham was poor business at the time and that just simply hasn't been the case.
Nope, you're getting confused again and have stamped your own incorrect interpretation on what was said. ;)

I know its easy to argue against something you make up but you really should go back and check. ;)
mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:39 pm
Graham would be a good signing, but if you count him as a must and a replacement for a consistent 20+ goal a season striker, then it really gives an indication of how far we've slid and how low your expectations must be.
:yeahright:
I've been back and looked before anyway and could hand pick posts of you being critical of his signing so not really sure what you think that proves.

If I also have to reiterate the simple facts of Rhodes wanting to leave, us not being able to afford to keep him, Graham being on lower wages and costing around £1.5m and their subsequent scoring records since January 2016 which are relevant to this discussion... :roll:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14790
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:54 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:26 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:33 am
mcteeth wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:11 pm
You specifically thought the signing of Graham was poor business at the time and that just simply hasn't been the case.
Nope, you're getting confused again and have stamped your own incorrect interpretation on what was said. ;)

I know its easy to argue against something you make up but you really should go back and check. ;)
mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:39 pm
Graham would be a good signing, but if you count him as a must and a replacement for a consistent 20+ goal a season striker, then it really gives an indication of how far we've slid and how low your expectations must be.
:yeahright:
I've been back and looked before anyway and could hand pick posts of you being critical of his signing so not really sure what you think that proves.

If I also have to reiterate the simple facts of Rhodes wanting to leave, us not being able to afford to keep him, Graham being on lower wages and costing around £1.5m and their subsequent scoring records since January 2016 which are relevant to this discussion... :roll:
No, you're still not getting it: I was critical that he was seen as a "must signing" and that he was the best possible option we could have had at that point. I know you still seem unable to process that, but there we go. ;)

Out of interst, would you consider Marcus Antonsson as a must buy?

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27189
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:10 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:26 pm

If I also have to reiterate the simple facts of Rhodes wanting to leave, us not being able to afford to keep him, Graham being on lower wages and costing around £1.5m and their subsequent scoring records since January 2016 which are relevant to this discussion... :roll:
So in your mind the only alternative to signing Danny Graham was to buy back Rhodes? I think we've found the problem... :lol:

Post Reply