blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: blackburn Rovers v Blackpool Sat March 10

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:15 pm

And doing fuck all for three years after that, yeah. Or perhaps you consider failing at Sunderland, Hull, Middlesborough and Wolves a great success? :yeahright:

There's a reason he was availble for loan to us, rather than being courted by Premiership leading clubs... ;)

And if he hadn't scored a brace on his final game (when it no longer mattered) of his loan spell with us, that would have looked like a failure too.

But as I say, you still never seem to get, or even acknowledge, the actual point...... :shrug:

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:31 pm

:lol:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Yes, it's funny that you still don't get it, I agree! :D

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:08 pm

But I do get it...

I also got it whilst having a basic working knowledge of his career ;)

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:02 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:20 pm
Darth Rover wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:31 pm
the whole northeast is full of floppage.
Something in the water
Yes it causes fog on the tyne and Gazza loves to gulp pint after pint of it. He once sang 'flop on the tyne' in honour of the northeast floppage problem.
Last edited by Darth Rover on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:05 pm

Mcteeth - why do you get embroiled in these pointless debates with these guys?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:23 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:08 pm
But I do get it...

I also got it whilst having a basic working knowledge of his career ;)
Happily ignoring the many bad parts, you mean? :yeahright:

So, seeing as you do get it: what was my point? Cause you keep misquoting it and getting it consistently wrong....

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Wrong again, I've acknowledged his floppage in this thread :lol:

Gaz is right and I can't be bothered. You've demonstrated a lack of a basic understanding of his career this evening so there's no point in taking anything you say seriously.

I thought you were actually wanting to have reasoned debate but even on the Antonsson question you were just wanting to set a pathetic point scoring trap which only served to make you look stupid.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:28 pm

His career that was on a massive downward spiral when we signed him; he'd scored 9 goals in three seasons.

He had a loan spell with us where he scored 5 goals in the 16 games that mattered, and a brace in a meaningless final game that flatter his tally for that period.

All the way through I've wanted to have a reasoned debate: you're the one who refuses to engage. The Antonssen point was perfectly valid; their league appearances and goal tallies for us during their loan period are identical, yet one player you feel was a must signing; the other not. I think that's entirely down to how low expectations were at the point we were signing Graham rather than any actual representation of their value at the time.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Bradford 0 v 1 Wigan. Wigan getting the winner in floppage....sorry stoppage time. :(

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:43 pm
Bradford 0 v 1 Wigan. Wigan getting the winner in floppage....sorry stoppage time. :(
Still 5 points behind with a congested fixture list.

I think having a home fixture on the last day is going to help us too.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:56 pm

I don't refuse to engage and I can't be bothered anymore.

Antonsson goals in championship: 1
Graham goals in championship: 64 (45 prior to loan to us)

As I've already said it was about experience and pedigree. As you've also said to me not to look at things as black or white.

It wasn't a particularly valid question but I can only assume you asked because you seemingly had no knowledge of Graham's career.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Yes but we're currently in League 1 so considering whether Antonsson would be a must signing is at the same level for where we're at. Graham may have scored 45 prior to loaning in to us, but he'd scored 9 goals in three whole seasons prior to that, both in the Premierleague and the Championship. He admits himself his time at Sunderland and the loans he had from there were failures. Think how you're all so glad to be shut of Rhodes: its the same thing. Except, unlike Rhodes, prior to that slump his scoring record wasn't as prolific, he's only ever had a single 20 goal season, including several at League 1 level.

My whole point at the time wasn't that we shouldn't sign Graham, but that we should have spent more time exploring other options first. 16 goals across four seasons as ot was at the time isn't the makings of a critical, must have striker signing for me. I feel we could easily have done better and might have ended up staying in the Championship. We perhaps might still have picked up Graham as well, but not as our number 1 man.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:07 am

mcteeth wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:42 pm

I've never failed to acknowledge his wages, it's a difference of opinion, I don't see his wages as a problem and didn't at the time. There are so many factors and context to take into account regarding our relegation I really struggle to see why you want to give so much weight to this bit of transfer business.
Incredible. You say you acknowledge the point then completely ignore it in your next sentence. It's like talking with a parrot. If a running joke hadn't been made out of a bastardisation of the original point, then maybe we wouldn't be still having the discussion. But no one is trying to make out that we couldn't have done with out any other signing in a team that proved to be useless. You seem to think it's about Graham personally - it's not, it's about whether we could afford to bring in a relative high earner when our budget was tight and the team lacked quality. It just seems like bloody-mindedness to insist we used our money as wisely as possible when the outcome was relegation. It's not like anyone made the argument that we should sign him because he'd be handy in League 1 when we inevitably went down.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:12 am

Gaz wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:05 pm
Mcteeth - why do you get embroiled in these pointless debates with these guys?
Are you convinced by Mowbray yet?