Blackburn v Southend, Sat 7 Apr 2018, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

What is your favourite maritime pastime?

Shrimping with Shrimpers
No votes
Crabbing with Crabbers
14%
Kestrel fishing on the Essex riviera
14%
Windsurfing with Gibbons
57%
Skimming select items of Nordic bakeware
No votes
Counting grains of sand in the presence of Igor Tudor
14%
Discussing the virtues of sand-based arable farming
No votes

Total votes: 7

thehatts
Ageing international

Re: Blackburn v Southend, Sat 7 Apr 2018, KO 15:00

Post by thehatts » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:56 pm

Great result. Won without Dack and Lenihan. Hope Dack is just a precaution. Another game ticked off the list. Creating a gap over shrews.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:57 pm

A win is a win, good job to Graham to get that goal. As long as we keep pumping out the wins, promotion is inevitable.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:09 pm

We were beyond crap today and how we didn’t concede in the last minute I don’t know. A win is a win yes, but watching that was painful.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:11 pm

Gaz wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:09 pm
We were beyond crap today and how we didn’t concede in the last minute I don’t know. A win is a win yes, but watching that was painful.
Sounds like the second half at MK Dons last weekend. But if we win we win so that's all that matters.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:45 pm

Southend dont have much to play for so win, lose or draw today it wouldnt have mattered much to them. Rovers had to win today and could do with winning on Tuesday as well. Sometimes an early goal can calm the nerves but this time Rovers had to wait similar to the Bradford game. Rovers are at an advantage having players like Graham and Armstrong who seem to find a goal when we need one. This seems to be the difference between Rovers winning games at the moment. Gillingham on Tuesday will prove a similar test as Southend but maybe a little easier. Maybe it might be a big game for them to try and upset Rovers promotion challenge but as we saw against Milton Keynes and Portsmouth we have what Elliott Bennett calls the mini Shearer. Another brace from him will be most welcome.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:48 am

I am amazed Rovers didn't draw that match, or even lose. Highlights show a really scrappy match, people getting shoved and the ref letting it get sloppy. Graham did have a solid match, got some good shots on goal. Raya had a good game as well, a lot was asked of him.

Overall, a win is a win and I think it's good that Rovers are finding ways to get a win.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:47 am

Just a few more thoughts on the match....

Our ball retention/game management yesterday was really poor. You could really sense nervousness within the team. Just when you wanted a calming figure to get hold of the ball and keep possession we just booted it up field.

I actually think Williams is better at centre half. Lost count the amount of times he was getting himself out of position and miss timing headers.

Antonson and Samuel were a joke when they came on. I’m not over exaggerating when I say they probably touched the ball twice between them in the 15/20 mins they were on the field. You have to make an effort to get into the game and I just didn’t see that.

You all probably think I’m being Mr Negative and think I should get a grip. I understand it’s all about results at the minute. I’m absolutely delighted with the 3 points believe me!! I just have certain expectations/ football principles and get disappointed when players fall well below them.

Anyway.....top of the league!! :D

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:16 pm

Just spoke to Simon cox in the gym. I said to him he was unlucky and should have been given the pen. Plenty of pens we should of had this season.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:50 pm

Gaz not sure if you were at MK Dons but we were appalling in the last 10 minutes but at least we're digging in and getting the results. I guess my concern is we probably can't play like that for the last 6 games and expect to keep winning.

I thought we played well against Bradford and for the 1st half at MK but we then had a bad half and sounds like we weren't great across yesterday.

I'm also not wanting to be negative but some of this may come down to leadership and experience. We looked a completely different side onc Dack and Graham were off and I'm slightly surprised his did the Samuel for Graham again around the same time yesterday. Appreciate Graham is 32 so this may be about fitness from his back injury and wanting him as a starter for the rest of the season. Then without Dack on the pitch and if Evans is having an indifferent game like he did at MK then we suddenly look quite vulnerable.

I'm going to Gillingham on Tuesday and hopefully we have have a few less nerves and perform like we know we can. Win that and it'll be a massive step towards promotion.
Last edited by mcteeth on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:04 pm

I agree that it is concerning that the way Rovers played against Southend and the second half at MK Dons. I feel we are riding our luck a little and if Rovers continue to play this way then that luck will run out. Teams have different levels of form over the season but it bodes well if you can play under par and still win. It is often class that means the difference between winning and not. Even more so the class of your goal scorers. At league one level if Adam Armstrong had been with us all season we would have had another few points on board at least. Both Graham and Dack have weighed with their share too. On the downside Antonsson i feel has lost his sharpness in front of goal during injury. Samuel started off the season well but has lost all confidence. Maybe it might be fair on him to put Gladwin on the bench as back up to Danny Graham in the Gillingham game. Wigan play Rochdale i think next week. I would rather be playing Gilingham than Rochdale who need points to stay in league one.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:21 pm

As everyone say, we were lucky to scrape a win yesterday, the Southend supporters must be baffled by our league position.
The last ten minutes wasn't just nervousness, it was sheer panic. Balls being hoofed anywhere, a silly, unsuccessful attempt to run the ball into the corner when we had two men in their box screaming for a pass, missed tackles, silly fouls and all attempts at football forgotten.
Every team goes through a bad patch, perhaps we are in one now, thank goodness lady luck has been on our side. The way we performed yesterday would make a draw on Tuesday a good result.
One decision was bang on yesterday, Bennett being awarded mom - he also gets my vote for the most improved Rovers player this season. I think I'd like to see Amari bell on the team sheet instead of Williams. Why he goes up for corners I'll never know as he can't shoot or head the ball,and has a habit of missing tackles at crucial stages in the game.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:26 pm

I was gratified by the result yesterday; I was traveling to a family reunion in east Texas, but my wife kept me posted on the game, via bbc.

We had a bunch of games last year, that made no sense; penalties, that made no sense, & failures to score. “What goes around, comes around” (not really, lol), so maybe it is our time for some good breaks!

This is a talented team, & at its very worst, we tend to have moments where “shaky” best describes overall performance. But, we’ve had a solid 11 the whole season, a very strong bench, & only one debilitating injury. I must also give Mowbray kudo’s for orchestrating an overall, solid gameplan & manipulation of the roster. He’s not the greatest manager out there, but he’s not bad./

Still, its a 5-game season now, & shrews could upset our plans. But Rovers are frontrunners, & need to play like the strong contenders for promotion they are. Lots of road tests left; a very slender margin for error now.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Shrewsbury just lost to Lincoln City in the Checkertade Trophy final at Wembley.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:41 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:31 pm
Shrewsbury just lost to Lincoln City in the Checkertade Trophy final at Wembley.
That Rhead deserves to be arrested for assault though. :o

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:43 pm

I am amazed that wasn't a red. That was absolutely deliberate.