Blackburn v Peterborough, Thur 19 April 2018, KO 18:45

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am...

Stuck in the middle with you
No votes
Finding Igor Tudor relishing the opportunity to reclaim his roots of baking in Nordic bakeware
10%
Watching gibbons riding kestrels in the new movie, Planet of the Gibbons
20%
Realizing you know way too many acronyms
10%
Shouting at Single A Summer League baseball players in a stadium of less than 300 people in attendance
No votes
Giving them the business
10%
On the receiving end of the business
10%
Finding you don't have enough creative juices left to make any more options
10%
--------------
30%

Total votes: 10

mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Blackburn v Peterborough, Thur 19 April 2018, KO 18:45

Post by mcteeth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:19 pm

They had a special section for it and a guy called Phillip Lingard who'd gone through the published accounts, he seemed to talk knowledgeably but I can't claim to know who's who with that site.

I know of Ian Herbert by name and know of Kamy but they didn't say anything that seemed that outrageous.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:27 pm
Without getting too far ahead of ourselves I'd also add that we haven't had a single season in the Championship since the initial relegation where we didn't have a mess off the pitch with the club and divisions, anger and discontent amongst the fans.
There’s a large chunk of fans who have settled due to success on the pitch. It’ll be interesting to see how they respond to the greater challenge of the championship.

I can imagine a few of them have already printed their ‘Mowbray has taken as far as he can’ banners.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:32 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:27 pm
Without getting too far ahead of ourselves I'd also add that we haven't had a single season in the Championship since the initial relegation where we didn't have a mess off the pitch with the club and divisions, anger and discontent amongst the fans.
There’s a large chunk of fans who have settled due to success on the pitch. It’ll be interesting to see how they respond to the greater challenge of the championship.

I can imagine a few of them have already printed their ‘Mowbray has taken as far as he can’ banners.
Yeah that's a fair comment and actually it's been very disappointing to hear boos at half time in a couple of home games which is as bizarre as it is depressing.

But the mood at away games this season has been fantastic and completely different from previous seasons, even when we've not been at our best they stick with the side and keep chanting and willing them on.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:59 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:19 pm
They had a special section for it and a guy called Phillip Lingard he seemed to talk knowledgeably but I can't claim to know who's who with that site.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Philipl! I should have guessed... I can't work out if he gets a kick out of deliberately misleading people or is just an attention seeker who's bluffed his way out of his depth. But basically he seems to spend his time posting stuff that isn't true on BRFCS (like saying he had proof that Ali Syed was the real deal), and a fair portion of their members lap it up without question. Even after he's been called out for it... :shrug:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:22 pm

The world is full of fantasists attempting to induce others to stroke their ego. Like me. Go on. You know you want to.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:34 pm

Not claiming to be an expert, but this is what it says on the FL website:
1.4 A Reporting Period is the period over which a Championship Club is assessed for the purpose of the Fair Play Requirement. For each Season the Reporting Period is (subject to Rule 2.2 or Rule 2.3) the immediately preceding 12 month period recorded in the Championship Club’s Annual Accounts. For example, for those Championship Clubs with a financial year ending in the period May, June or July the Reporting Period for the 2014/15 Season is the 12 month period ending May, June or July 2014.

3.4 For the avoidance of doubt the Fair Play Information must be supplied notwithstanding the fact that for the Season covered by the Reporting Period the Championship Club was either a Premier League Club relegated into the Championship (Former Premier League Club) or a League One Club which was then promoted into the Championship (Promoted League One Club).
https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... gulations/

Now it's Friday afternoon and my mind is on other things, but those two clauses say to me that promoted league 1 clubs will be judged the same as though they'd been in the Championship, and it will be based on their financial year end rather than when the FL calendar ticks over...

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:34 pm
Not claiming to be an expert, but this is what it says on the FL website:
1.4 A Reporting Period is the period over which a Championship Club is assessed for the purpose of the Fair Play Requirement. For each Season the Reporting Period is (subject to Rule 2.2 or Rule 2.3) the immediately preceding 12 month period recorded in the Championship Club’s Annual Accounts. For example, for those Championship Clubs with a financial year ending in the period May, June or July the Reporting Period for the 2014/15 Season is the 12 month period ending May, June or July 2014.

3.4 For the avoidance of doubt the Fair Play Information must be supplied notwithstanding the fact that for the Season covered by the Reporting Period the Championship Club was either a Premier League Club relegated into the Championship (Former Premier League Club) or a League One Club which was then promoted into the Championship (Promoted League One Club).
https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... gulations/

Now it's Friday afternoon and my mind is on other things, but those two clauses say to me that promoted league 1 clubs will be judged the same as though they'd been in the Championship, and it will be based on their financial year end rather than when the FL calendar ticks over...
So essentially stating that the whole fiscal year of 2018 will fall under Championship guidelines, essentially making the owners unable to front load any investment into the club (depending on how the books look).

Not a fan of the way that regulation is written. It basically screws over any club that over invested in January to make a push for promotion or playoffs. It feels like it hinders competition, but I can understand why the safeguard is there.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:14 pm

That's interesting cheers Toppers. I hadn't taken BRFCs as gospel in the least and hadn't looked into it beyond just listening to what they said.

zeffania
Promising youngster

Post by zeffania » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:34 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:32 pm
it's been very disappointing to hear boos at half time in a couple of home games which is as bizarre as it is depressing.

But the mood at away games this season has been fantastic and completely different from previous seasons, even when we've not been at our best they stick with the side and keep chanting and willing them on.
Away fans have always been spot on. Had the pleasure of being part of one at Reading when we scored lots but only won 2-1. I lost my voice.

Boo boys last night was annoying, first half we were crap, but you dont boo, you get behind them. Think they got a rocket at half time as they were a different team. Watched it again round my mates, a Liverpool fan. I have now converted him to us as his second team, cheering and getting well into it. He also loves Dack :lol:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:09 pm

The boo boys will of course take credit for the improvement in the second half.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:23 pm

I couldn't believe how poor we were in the first half. The guys that have led the push for promotion this year were the worst offenders. Mulgrew,Bennett and Lenihan were dire. Clearly it was a matter of nerves which Mowbray clearly sorted at half time - that and his asture substitutions all season plus some inspired signings means we must hold on to him at all costs.
I denigrated Samuel for not scoring in a previous post, well when he replaced the ineffective Antonnson last night, Rovers gained a huge wedge of vitality (as we also did when Bell replaced Williams)
My hit list now reads Evans, Antonsson, Gladwin and Whittingham. Replace those four and bring on some of our youngsters and we'll have a Championship side.
You've only got to look at PNE - challenging for a top six spot, and they were no great shakes in the first division.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:21 am

Just read the talking points article in the LT hadn't fully clocked Graham getting 9 goals and 6 assists in 2018 plus his all round general play. Great stuff.

I know there's been some articles about extending his contract for next season in the last week or so which he deserves and would seem like a no brainier. Yes he's getting on but he works very well in this squad and links up extremely well Dack who we effectively build the team around.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:38 am

Should have got someone else in on loan. Just sayin'. ;)

Yeah we should renew, the strong aspects of Graham's game shouldn't be hindered by him getting a bit older, and he's not that old anyway. But I do think we nees to be in the market for another hitman, especially if we want to try and look at some kind of double promotion (getting ahead of myself...). I think Danny will be good for around 10-12 goals if we get promoted; which probably isn't enough, unless we also have Dack and someone like Armstrong banging in equal numbers.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:41 am

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:59 pm
Not a fan of the way that regulation is written. It basically screws over any club that over invested in January to make a push for promotion or playoffs. It feels like it hinders competition, but I can understand why the safeguard is there.
The entire FFP structure is a foil to keep the current big teams at the top forever. Which is in the interests of the commercial side of the game.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:44 pm

If we get promoted this season. I would love the team next season to be so strong, that we could turn to Graham on the bench for the last 30 mins. I hope a deal is there to be had with Armstrong. A bit worried that Newcastle will price us out the market for him. If so hopefully another loan deal is available at the very least. Will be interesting to see where Bennett starts next season. Hope we can get an absolute mustard player alongside Smallwood.