Blackburn v Peterborough, Thur 19 April 2018, KO 18:45

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am...

Stuck in the middle with you
No votes
Finding Igor Tudor relishing the opportunity to reclaim his roots of baking in Nordic bakeware
10%
Watching gibbons riding kestrels in the new movie, Planet of the Gibbons
20%
Realizing you know way too many acronyms
10%
Shouting at Single A Summer League baseball players in a stadium of less than 300 people in attendance
No votes
Giving them the business
10%
On the receiving end of the business
10%
Finding you don't have enough creative juices left to make any more options
10%
--------------
30%

Total votes: 10

mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Blackburn v Peterborough, Thur 19 April 2018, KO 18:45

Post by mcteeth » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 pm

Fuck yes :hyper:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:55 pm

And we scored all four goals, we’re just that good. :hyper:

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Dack is Dack and we saw him back towards his best again tonight, but a nod to Williams who after missing that sitter at Bristol had a big hand in 2 of the goals. Also Graham just showed all of his experience and class tonight.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:10 pm

What a difference a Dack makes. Fully deserves his player of the year award and celebrated in style. Why is he not going to Russia in an England shirt? Because he is lower league. Well Jamie Vardy and Dele Alli were once lower league.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:24 pm

A YC celebration? I got to see that!

Glad they took over and won the match. The first half was starting to get really bad, a lot of Peterborough shots on goal, but Raya was huge to keep a couple of them out, especially that free kick save.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:40 pm

Also a fancy statistic for everyone:

Each time an option with 'Nordic Bakeware' is in the poll, Rovers have won 3-0 (Wimbledon), 2-0 (Rotherham, Bury), 1-0 (Gillingham, Southend), 3-1 (Shrewsbury, Peterborough), 2-1 (MK Dons), drew 1-1 (Northampton), 2-2 (Oldham, Wigan), and lost to no one. Making Rovers 8-3-0. Nordic Bakeware is the reason this is a successful season.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:16 am

Well Nordic bakeware is always in my polls... :roll:

Is there a correlation too with Gibbons and Arable farming?

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:42 am

gibbons typically are in every poll, so their record would not be as good. However, I have not checked arable farming.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:23 am

I think it was the demise of "we shall be victorious", personally. And possibly because Spurs continue to demonstrate they are not, in fact, bigger than the Romans.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:04 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:23 am
I think it was the demise of "we shall be victorious", personally.

*cough*

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 am

Always amusing to come on after a nice win and see who overreacted to going a goal down... :lol:

Promotion feels within touching distance now.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:17 am

Talk about a game of 2 half’s! If someone said at half time we’d go on an win 3-1 I’d have thought they’d been smoking crack!

First 10 mins we started well but then no idea what happened in the next 30. We looked like a team of strangers playing with so many nerves. We couldn’t pass the ball, defensively all over the place and we were lucky to be only 1 down.

We then managed to get a goal out of nothing and then actually went on to win comfortably (don’t think they tested us at all in the 2nd half).

Promotion is looking good now which was our main objective. What I will say however, is we need to improve considerably to ensure we stay in the Championship next season. Let’s not kid ourselves, there is a big gulf between The Championship and League 1. A number of players starting last night are not up to it in my opinion. Mowbray has recently been quoted as saying planning has started for next season, I just hope the likes of Evans and Antonsson are not part of those....

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Gaz wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:17 am
Promotion is looking good now which was our main objective. What I will say however, is we need to improve considerably to ensure we stay in the Championship next season. Let’s not kid ourselves, there is a big gulf between The Championship and League 1. A number of players starting last night are not up to it in my opinion. Mowbray has recently been quoted as saying planning has started for next season, I just hope the likes of Evans and Antonsson are not part of those....
I'm not sure I agree with that Gaz aside from that I don't think we should sign Antonsson after this season and Evans can be frustrating. The Championship has been chock full of utter dross this season. The bottom 10 or so teams have been so poor and I think under Mowbray our current squad is a lot better than last season. Appreciate it is a step up in division but I actually think our squad is more suited to the Championship than League 1, with a few games left the bottom 3 are all still on under 40 points. Likewise Millwall and Sheffield Utd have been able to mix it with play-off contenders without being spectacular or spending a lot of money. Harris's Millwall are just a solid 4-4-2 that are well organised and tactically astute.

A large part of our poor start and why someone like Whittingham hasn't made an impact is that we're actually not that well equipped to deal with the more physical nature of games in this league and equally I think the speed of the games is actually faster in League 1 although lower on quality. You're hustled and harried when on the ball and we've had to deal with being a scalp this season for most teams who often seem to raise their game because it's us.

We definitely have work to do in the summer provided we seal promotion, which I'm now fairly sure we will, but for example the potential of an attacking trio of Dack, Armstrong and Chapman (hypothetically) anchored by Smallwood plus another feels pretty decent to me, lots of pace and technical ability well above League 1 standard.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Without getting too far ahead of ourselves I'd also add that we haven't had a single season in the Championship since the initial relegation where we didn't have a mess off the pitch with the club and divisions, anger and discontent amongst the fans.

Also, I'm loathed to admit it, but out of interest I listened to the latest BRFCs podcast and there was an interesting section on our accounts and if we seal promotion Venky's will be in a position to front load the season with good investment under League 1 FFP before we're officially classified as a Championship team come 1st July. There is the opportunity to really bolster the squad with some good quality to give us a decent chance of being competitive and not struggle.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:08 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Also, I'm loathed to admit it, but out of interest I listened to the latest BRFCs podcast and there was an interesting section on our accounts and if we seal promotion Venky's will be in a position to front load the season with good investment under League 1 FFP before we're officially classified as a Championship team come 1st July. There is the opportunity to really bolster the squad with some good quality to give us a decent chance of being competitive and not struggle.
Was that verified, or just something they've picked up from Football Manager? Just from experience, they like to believe and circulate utter bullshit on that site...