Charlton v Blackburn, Sat 28 April 2018, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Is this a poll?

Yes
No votes
No
No votes
The gravitas of gibbons
33%
Kelp eating kestrels
No votes
Igor Tudor finding his roots in arable farming
33%
Buying Swedish countertops for your Nordic Bakeware
33%

Total votes: 3

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: Charlton v Blackburn, Sat 28 April 2018, KO 15:00

Post by Dan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Wigan have equalised

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Well, that's annoying, yet arguably to be expected when you've changed half the team and the opposition are battling for a top 6 spot. Massive deflection on the goal, but the quality just wasn't quite the same today, at times they looked too hesitant and scared of making the wrong decision. Good job by Charlton though, they are a good team and this was always going to be tough down in London.

Congrats to Accy down the road though, they've finished the job. 👏 Excellent season for them.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Oh well if Wigan lose at Donny and Rovers beat Oxford at home then we will finish first. What means more has been the performance today of some of the players we dont usually see starting a game. Apart from the lads starting out their careers Tony Mowbray would not have seen anything to make him want to retain any of the starters today for next season. Mowbray cannot afford to be loyal or give another chance to players who have not been up to the challenge of this season. There are better players which will soon become available than what was on display today. Caddis, Gladwin, Hart, Whittingham, and Samuel are some that do not have anything to offer Rovers in the championship.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:32 pm

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Honestly no point in playing any starter. I think it would be smart to play a lot of U-23s and see how the play against League 1 opposition. Glad to see the massive change, but it is unispring to see fringe players not take chances against a hungry club. This is what the Championship is going to be like, so this is a massive indicator.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:38 pm

I think Caddis gives us a reasonable back up for Nyambe but I can't make my mind up about Samuel - the other starters against Charlton are dross and should go. Mowbray seems to like Evans so I expect him to stay.
Samuel is a big powerful centre forward who has been asked to play on the wing. I really don't think we've seen the best of him, and although he is outclassed by Graham, he always seems to liven up the game when he's brought on. I'd keep him.
Armstrong is one player we should pull out the stops to keep- even playing on the wing he scores regularly. Newcastle don't seem to need him so a transfer should be negotiable. Harry Chapman is another young player who we need in the Championship , particularly as we are light on wingers.
I'm more concerned however with keeping Lenihan and Dack -both these lads are obvious targets for the likes of Cardiff and Wolves.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:17 pm

Watched the highlights, thought Rovers did well without Dack, Graham, Bennett, and Williams. Really liked when Travis came on, added a different dimension to the whole game. I can tell he is ready to breakthrough to the senior squad.

As far as fringe players, would like to see Smallwood and Mulgrew not play next match. I really want a full on fringe player squad out there. Travis and Willemson start in the middle. Get some U-23s on the bench to see where they are. Nuttall needs to either start or hit the bench.

I know Mowbray had a real problem with Wagner when he played his full on fringe team last match of the season in the Championship which got us relegated, but I don't think Oxford are a threat either way.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:30 pm

Couldn't agree more about Travis, he deserves a start. I'd also like to see Samuel have a start as cf.
If Conway is injured we don't have a single fit recognised winger in the squad, a Mowbray priority, although of course we may have a couple of youngsters who may be given a chance. I don't follow the junior teams as well as I should, but if we have any more youngsters of the quality of Wharton, Tomlinson, Travis, Nuttall and Nyambe we may have riches indeed.