Pre-Season Matches

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Re: Pre-Season Matches

Post by stillgrowling » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Rovers v Liverpool
I think the Ewood authorities underestimated the likely crowd for this match. The lower Darwen end was jam packed and they had to open the upper tier. There were still long queues for tickets at the kick off. The family stand wasn't open but I'm guessing a crowd of around 15,000.

Team at ko Raya, Nyambe ,Lenihan, Williams, Mulgrew, Rothwell, Smallwood, Evans, Bennet, Dack and Samuel
Rovers pretty much held their own in the first half, Nyambe was in excellent form (he looks bigger and stronger this season), Evans also had a good game - he astonished spectators by charging up to the Liverpool goal line and putting in a superb centre. Samuel was so surprised he failed to react and the ball went spinning past everyone. As usual Samuel huffed and puffed without doing very much, unless we buy a cf we will be in deep poo poo when Graham doesn't play. Rothwell was the big disappointment - anonymous throughout. Dack displayed why he is such a fav with fans, unfortunately plenty of scouts must have seen it too. Liverpool were awarded a penalty which may or not have been, but Raya saved well.
Mass changes 15 minutes into the second half after which Liverpool made it one way traffic. Samuel stayed on and was joined by Nuttall, but they received scant service from the midfield. Davenport was abysmal, totally responsible for Liverpool's second,he has got to be better than this.
One really bright spot was Travis' performance- he was up and down the pitch like a steam locomotive and almost as powerful. He'll do for me.
Tomlinson was OK and Wharton played well. Whittingham did a great impression of the Invisible Man, but Nyambe was mom for me.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Rovers victorious at Lincoln today. A goal from Joe Nuttall gave Rovers the win but by all accounts it should have been more. Scott Wharton won't be travelling back with Rovers having signed on with Lincoln for a season long loan. On Rovers transfer activity i now understand why Tony Mowbray is getting frustrated. I didnt really realise there was only now thirteen days until the new season kicks off. Tony is attempting to bring in at least one striker. Ellis Harrison is rumoured to be leaving Bristol Rovers soon with the destination either Ipswich or Rovers. Sam Worthington is attracting interest from Stoke City but with an asking price of 8 million that will be too much for Rovers. For me if Rovers only bring in one more player it has to be Adam Armstrong. With the new season pending we need someone who can slot straight in. He didnt get a proper chance at Bolton at this level last season but at Rovers he showed he knows how to score goals. Ok it was at league One standard but the goals he scored at home to Wigan and at Portsmouth proved to me he deserves a chance at championship level. Just hope he wants to come back and Tony wants him back.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:31 pm
Sam Worthington is attracting interest from Stoke City
:yeahright:

So’s Sam Gallagher apparently! :hyper:

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:55 pm

Without Armstrong our team is weaker than it was in Division 1 - by now Mowbray should have strengthened last year's side. Something has to happen ,and pretty smartly or we'll become a yo yo team.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:17 pm
Darth Rover wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:31 pm
Sam Worthington is attracting interest from Stoke City
:yeahright:

So’s Sam Gallagher apparently! :hyper:
No i was watching Sam Gallagher in clash of the titans over the weekend definitely!...either that or too much sun and lubricant.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:39 am

stillgrowling wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:55 pm
Without Armstrong our team is weaker than it was in Division 1 - by now Mowbray should have strengthened last year's side. Something has to happen ,and pretty smartly or we'll become a yo yo team.
You are dead-on, re: our improvement sans Armstrong. We clearly need more up front. Armstrong is exciting, & showed he is able to score (albeit, vs League 1 sides).

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:18 pm

Rumour has it Newcastle have told Armstrong he can leave perminently rather than go out on loan. Rovers will have to find 3 million if they want him. That is cheap if you want to stay in the championship. If Rovers can't stretch :D to that amount then maybe a deal with appearances and sell on incentives might be in order.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:40 pm

3 million is Newcastle's price and seems (as per usual for them) high, particularly for a player only proven in league 1. I'd hope we'd be able to haggle that down by at least a third, or build in lots of provisions based on his performances.

That said, I'd gamble on him anyway if we can reach a compromise on price, he meshes well with the squad and I've seen enough to think he could probably cut it at this level.

We can't forget that we're back under Championship FFP now and have to be extremely careful with our pennies.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:42 pm

I can't think of any comparable player that we could buy for £2M. The lad is still youn
g and an international to boot. I think that like Dack, he would be an investment.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Rovers v Everton
Another premier league test for Rovers. The Toffees could be bringing their new big money signing Richarlison. Fifty million pound was the amount Everton parted with for a striker who only scored five goals last season. Even our own Dom Samuel managed more than that before he lost form and confidence. Tony Mowbray is claiming he can bring in four more players before the transfer deadlines of perminent on August 9th and loans a few weeks later. Tony is playing his cards right. Rumour is for example he had agreed with a club to sign a player but the deal stopped when the player wanted 40,000 a week. Tony is right to wait and only pay what Rovers can afford. If it means we have to wait until the end of August to bring in some decent loanees then so be it.
I thought Rovers starting 11 against Liverpool did well and a similar team against Everton may manage a better result. Not that results mean anything but it would be nice for the supporters to see a draw or better against PL opposition. When Rovers line up against Ipswich it would be great to see Harry Chapman and Adam Armstrong in Rovers colours. Good luck to Everton with their 50 million pound 5 goal machine. And good luck to player unknown who want 40 grand a week.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:49 pm

My guess is it is Sam Gallagher who is the high earner. Otherwise, it might be Adam Armstrong but he is still a young and can't be on that high of wages.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:26 pm

Did Everton show up?

Who are these masqueraders?

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Just got done watching the match. I know it is pre-season, but Everton were not that good. For having a lot of money, they looked a bit unorganized.

Dack was pretty stellar during the match, can't wait to see him in action. Defense was playing well up until the end when crosses started to come in. Raya held his own, wasn't challenged much. Samuel, as noted previously in many other match threads, is not a winger nor a really good wide player. It shows that Mowbray needs to bring in a winger or two to survive the Championship.

Overall, the team did well and really hope to see some transfer activity soon to get in a couple of attacking players.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:40 pm

ROVERS. ‘Nuff said :D

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Seen some good highlights of the game and judging by the match reports we were good yesterday which is good to see. Dack looks to be in good form for the start of the season and you feel that defensively in Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Bell and Williams we go into the Championship with a really solid defense with fullbacks that can attack.

Most pleased for Samuel to score, after a good start to his time with us early last season he looked very low on confidence at the back end of last season and although we got promoted he fluffed some big chances in key games. But by all accounts he's worked hard this summer and is looking promising in pre-season.