Ipswich Town v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 4 August 2018, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

If the beat goes on...

It goes on and on
15%
The arable farming technique to till up the land for some mighty crops
8%
Kestrels flying overhead will dedicate their flight to Igor Tudor's tutiliage
8%
Potters will pot Nordic bakeware to bake casseroles in
15%
Poo flinging gibbons eventually find consciousness and ascend to the top of the pyramid
31%
A banana
15%
Eventually it will stop
No votes
8%
I have many beats. My beats are the best beats. They beat any other beat that beats. They are beats, that beat. Big beats. Ocean beats. And let me tell you, they go on. These beats go on, and on. Nobody has ever stopped my beats, they kept beating. So when I say I have the best beats, I mean it. They are the best beats. That is why I am issuing an executive order to fulfill my promise of the beat going on, and to Make Beats Great Again!
No votes

Total votes: 13

Murder in Room 229
New signing

Re: Ipswich Town v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 4 August 2018, KO 15:00

Post by Murder in Room 229 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:00 am

Well there you have it, a point for both and each supporters seem content. Yes it must have been painful when one of our new kids got the second moments from the end but I think some hours after the game a draw would seem acceptable to both. Our primary focus for this season would be stability, we haven't the resources or talent to mount a feasible promotion attempt but at least we started off with something, if you had offered a game saving goal in the last minute I would have taken it, as would yourselves no doubt.

Sad in a sense to see two of English Footballs more appreciated teams with affection from neutrals (and a rich history in part) with many saying no real hope of making it back to the Premier League this season but we have to be realistic about the situation. I hope those who travelled down today enjoyed their trip to our Town and area, despite the late win your team were denied. Once again a point each would seem in retrospect a fair result.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:28 am

Disappointment at the end but still pleased with the positive result.

It’s pleasing to see the mentality of the team has remained into this division. Responded so well to going behind early on and did enough to win the game.

Also good to see Graham get off the mark straight away and Dack score in his first appearance at this level.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Watching the extended highlights and reviewing it again, a couple things I would like to see next match. Bell over Williams in the starting lineup. Conway or Armstrong over Samuel. Samuel coming on as a sub for Graham. Evans dropped or subbed off next match for either of the new signings (Davenport or Rothwell, maybe even Travis).

One big positive I can see the down the road is having Palmer come off the bench. He needs more time training with the club but I can see the quality he has. Positioning and skill is there. He can play anywhere up top. I think he will be a benefit to Rovers.

If we get another striker in past Armstrong, Nuttall needs to go out on loan and play consistently. Can't throw away someone on 30 minutes, but he needs a lot of work to catch up to Graham's level, let alone Samuel's.

I think this was a good match to get season jitters out. Defense (other than Williams) looked solid. Lenihan looked super confident on what he was doing. Nyambe doesn't have great footwork but is a beast at work ethic and has the athleticism to be a threat to any team. Mulgrew was as good as he usually is, reliable and quiet.

Midfield needs some work but we have some of the tools in the shed for it. Smallwood was all over the place it seemed, almost feels like we don't need to play 2 central defensive mids. Bennett is still the hardest working player out there and the spirit of the squad. Dack seemed anonymous at times but showed up when he needed to. I still have that bad image of Evans sending that ball to the moon. And Samuel would greatly benefit by playing forward.

And of course Danny Graham. He did what he needed to and got us a goal and set up an assist for Williams. Can't ask for more from that.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Can anyone tell me the last time that Rovers won their opening match? It almost seems an inevitability that we won't win.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:50 pm

2010-11, beat Everton 1-0.