Jimmy Mac

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Jimmy Mac

Post by Duggywerefab » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:56 pm

All true footy fans should be sad to hear the death of Jimmy Mac, no matter who they support. He was great player and a real gent treated terribly by the then owner of Burnely, Bob "Mr Sausages" Lord. Fortunately Burnley's later owners saw sense and gave him the respect he more than deserved. He was by far their best-ever player at a time when they were a top club and later became a mate of my hero Duggy.

Although I was a bit biased towards my own namesake hero, I have to admit Jimmy Mac was probably as good, if not better overall...! He had a style you don't see anymore, could change the game with a pass, classy with both feet, rapid off the mark acceleration but strolling when needs be. He was the ultimate "schemer" as we called them. Whenever he got the ball in Rover's half I felt nervous and you could see from the look on his face, so did Ronnie Clayton! He was a world class player in a very different world.

Those 55,000 crowd, derby games with Burnley, especially the FA Cup games in 59/60 will be with me forever. In fact a pic on the BBC's obituary of him today today looks suspiciously like a Rover's team in the background.

RIP Jimmy Mac

Sadly raising a glass...

Duggy

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Re: Jimmy Mac

Post by stillgrowling » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:17 pm

I remember Jimmy McIlroy too, but a Burnley player from round about that time also sticks in my memory - Brian Pilkington.