Blackburn Rovers v Brentford, Sat, 25 August 2018, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

My spirit animal is...

Lee Hazelwood's moustache that now morphed into Charlie Mulgrew's alice band
18%
A bumbling bee that buzzes beyond barrels of brioche buns for bacon
9%
A gibbon which controls the banana supply to the world
9%
A kestrel that is up all night til the sun, up all night to get some, up all night for good fun, up all night to get mousey
No votes
Igor Tudor's kiln full of Nordic bakeware
36%
An arable farmer's most trusty pitchfork for when the rabble rouses
27%
No votes

Total votes: 11

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Re: Blackburn Rovers v Brentford, Sat, 25 August 2018, KO 15:00

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:11 pm

One shot on target according to the BBC. But one shot was all that was needed 8-)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:13 pm

It's why people needn't get too worried about stats. ;)

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:39 pm

I love what we are seeing from this team, and this was a solid win today. They are missing their best guy, And we were missing our best guy.

This is a competitive team, currently sitting in a playoff spot. & we’re 23 unbeaten at home. Somebody please explain to me why we aren’t drawing a crowd these days. We had 28,000 for the finale last year when we promoted, but we are back to 12,000 again...why?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:51 pm

I've explained it to you three times before, Waco. The reason hasn't changed.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:40 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:51 pm
I've explained it to you three times before, Waco. The reason hasn't changed.
So, why the 28,000...Where did they come from? Using your logic, that there’s only x number of fans for each team in crowded Lancashire, that 28,000 would not have happened.

I understand Blackburn Rovers have 12,000 or so hardcore fans. Burnley has more, because they’re winning, hence, front-runners turn out; then you throw in Wigan & Preston, then the two Manchester teams raid in, & Liverpool fans are in abundance up there, etc.

But, Blackburn is on a 23-game home unbeaten; they were promoted; the squad was upgraded (somewhat); it appears the fans like TM.

So, why 28,000 for promotion celebration, & not at least half that number since?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:02 am

Last game of the season, bigger away support, promotion celebration game after a whole season of winning.

Prior to the game yesterday we had only one win this season. Nobody cares about unbeaten runs across seasons, only in the season you're in.

Blackburn is a small town, where people aren't very well off and going to football matches is bloody expensive.

If you care about attendance so much, book a flight over each home game! ;)

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:33 am

Our last two home matches against Brentford and Reading attracted about 50 away supporters each. When the likes of Villa, North End, Middlesbrough,Bolton, Leeds etc visit Rovers, I'll expect to see crowds of at least 16000- 18000, plus of course as Rovers continue their charge towards the Premiership, some of the fair weather home supporters will return.
One of the main elements of yesterday's match was Brentford's missing centre forward, they had more chances than Rovers but their shooting was poor.
On a brighter note, Rothwell was again outstanding. When Armstrong, Dack, Rothwell,Palmer and Danny Graham are all fit we will have the best attack in the Championship.
It's the defence that is more of a concern. Nyambe could probably get into a Premiership team, but Lenihan tends to be sloppy, particularly when passing back to Raya. He cost us the first goal against Reading and tried a couple of times to emulate that yesterday. I'm not terribly impressed with either Bell or Williams at left back, that could become a problem position.
Evans is a better player than he was last season, probably because he's playing a tad further up the pitch. He's even getting into the opposition penalty area on occasion, and Brereton and Rothwell should provide great cover/competition for him and Smallwood.
From thinking about survival I now believe we are strong challengers for promotion.
Whoever gave the manager's job to Tony Mowbray deserves our gratitude.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:34 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:02 am

If you care about attendance so much, book a flight over each home game! ;)
I’m coming! :hyper: next fall! & we will get together for a cuss & discuss session! I will even let you buy me a drink! :D

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:40 pm

Stillgrowling,
Good stuff; I tend to agree with you on TM, & also Brentford’s troubles yesterday. I also think when Armstrong is back (& Dack) we should have one of the best attacks in the Championship.

As far as Bell/Williams, I don’t know. We obviously still need some upgrades to stay in playoff place/promotion push.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:42 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:33 am
Our last two home matches against Brentford and Reading attracted about 50 away supporters each. When the likes of Villa, North End, Middlesbrough,Bolton, Leeds etc visit Rovers, I'll expect to see crowds of at least 16000- 18000, plus of course as Rovers continue their charge towards the Premiership, some of the fair weather home supporters will return.
One of the main elements of yesterday's match was Brentford's missing centre forward, they had more chances than Rovers but their shooting was poor.
On a brighter note, Rothwell was again outstanding. When Armstrong, Dack, Rothwell,Palmer and Danny Graham are all fit we will have the best attack in the Championship.
It's the defence that is more of a concern. Nyambe could probably get into a Premiership team, but Lenihan tends to be sloppy, particularly when passing back to Raya. He cost us the first goal against Reading and tried a couple of times to emulate that yesterday. I'm not terribly impressed with either Bell or Williams at left back, that could become a problem position.
Evans is a better player than he was last season, probably because he's playing a tad further up the pitch. He's even getting into the opposition penalty area on occasion, and Brereton and Rothwell should provide great cover/competition for him and Smallwood.
From thinking about survival I now believe we are strong challengers for promotion.
Whoever gave the manager's job to Tony Mowbray deserves our gratitude.
Evans has been pleasantly surprising so far this season. He seems to have learnt how to actually pass amongst other things! Let's hope it continues.

zeffania
Promising youngster

Post by zeffania » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:01 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:42 pm
Evans has been pleasantly surprising so far this season. He seems to have learnt how to actually pass amongst other things! Let's hope it continues.
It's really pleasing to read and see this, playing to his potential.

Didn't see a win coming, but as usual the grafters did us proud. Bennett runs all day long and the team have a great dressing room. I have enjoyed Saturday football much more under TM and sat refreshing twitter for 90 minutes yesterday :lol:

On to the next game :D

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:53 pm

zeffania wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:01 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:42 pm
Evans has been pleasantly surprising so far this season. He seems to have learnt how to actually pass amongst other things! Let's hope it continues

On to the next game :D
I almost hate to see a cup match break up league play... especially against those giant-killers from Lincoln City.

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:36 pm

But if we win, its empirical evidence that we are better than Burnley ;)

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:43 pm

RoverthePennines wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:36 pm
But if we win, its empirical evidence that we are better than Burnley ;)
Puke on those duds. They’re in the relegation zone, I hope they stay there.