Bristol City v Blackburn Rovers, Sun 2 Sept 2018, KO 13:30

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

As the coffee drips...

You contemplate the meaning of inter-gibbon relationships and the efficacy of the banana republic they have inherited
33%
Wish the coffee could drip faster
22%
Watch the Kestrels swoop down for their morning prey
No votes
Become enticed at the thought of becoming a potter so you can fire up the kiln and sell Nordic Bakeware and Nordic Bakeware accessories
11%
Overhear Igor Tudor steal your idea of becoming a potter and already establish himself a kiln full of Nordic Bakeware
No votes
Give the farmers the tools to succeed in farming arable land
11%
Don't get caught up in another debate of the merits of black coffee and who is Sharon Stone
22%

Total votes: 9

bobbyoc
Promising youngster

Re: Bristol City v Blackburn Rovers, Sun 2 Sept 2018, KO 13:30

Post by bobbyoc » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:14 pm

4 1 now. Shame as looked like we started well. Any one actually playing well?

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Very harsh this score line. deflections seem to fall to their players. We have had a lot of potential openings and the last pass or cross has gone wrong.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:16 pm

bobbyoc wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:14 pm
4 1 now. Shame as looked like we started well. Any one actually playing well?
Rothwell looks fantastic.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Oh my... 11 Bristol shots on target?!

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Smallwood really appears to be coasting off the back of last years performances. In the game against Brentford, he looked to have kicked on but today he distribution, positioning and decision making has really not been up to scratch. In his defence, everyone aside from Raya and Evans have been dismal today so it’s not as if he is the scapegoat. Even so, good faith won’t keep him his place in the side.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:30 pm

As stated previously, Evans and Raya were the only ones that did well all match.

First half: Really competitive, looked as if we could have put away 3 goals. Unlucky to get a second as Palmer's 2 yard finish hits the underneath of the top bar. Armstrong got a bit greedy, not taking quality chances or giving them to someone that can make a quality chance. Palmer was a bit anonymous pretty much other than his chance. I think Rothwell should have stared over Palmer.

Second half: Wheels came off. Bell is not the left back we need, Williams should be getting the start next match. Didn't make a lot of good runs, if any at all. Nyambe came off because he was matched well on the right side versus Kelly. Brereton didn't make much of an effect due to small sample size and already down 2-1 by time he came on. Definitely has the ability to make something happen though, knows how to get behind the defense.

Smallwood, as said before, should be shaking for his starting position. I would really hope that is why Reed was signed, because Smallwood is not showing me confidence to start. Makes me feel like January can't come fast enough to sign Wil Trapp or someone like him.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:43 pm

Last team to beat Rovers in the league was Plymouth. They are currently bottom of league one. Fortunes in football can change quickly. Its best just forget this game and do your best in the next game.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Tony: it was a case of missed chances in the first half. That could have put the game to bed
“I think from our point of view it was a case of missed chances in the first half. That could have put the game to bed"

“I don’t think it would be exaggerating to say that we could have had three or four in the first half. It didn’t happen for us."

“They are a decent side, have attacking threats and we have to accept that and then went chasing the game which left us a bit inbalanced and that can happen with football at times."

“It can be cruel at times in the Championship, teams have attacking threats, good players and have to take this defeat on the chin and move on."

“We lost a bit of discipline for the third and fourth goals with so many attacking players on the pitch trying to get back in to the game"

“The balance of the team wasn’t the balance of a team that we would normally be playing."

“There were four attacking players on and left ourselves exposed a little bit."

“I’ve done that all my career, sometimes you can lose heavily in games, it can happen in football at times, you either keep it quite tight and lose 1-0 and think ‘that was all right’ or you go and try and get back in to the game.

“That’s the nature of the game and they took advantage of that."

zeffania
Promising youngster

Post by zeffania » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:41 am

International break, a reality check and we go again.

Heavy defeat, but we can only get better especially when the new boys get a run

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:02 pm

Looking at the youthfulness of Mowbray's new signings I can only think that his aim this season is consolidation. Next season, with more experience under their belts, and a better feel for the Championship the intent should be promotion. I think we'd all be happy with that scenario. Moreover with the quality coming into the club, it's realistic.

zeffania
Promising youngster

Post by zeffania » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:37 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:02 pm
Looking at the youthfulness of Mowbray's new signings I can only think that his aim this season is consolidation. Next season, with more experience under their belts, and a better feel for the Championship the intent should be promotion. I think we'd all be happy with that scenario. Moreover with the quality coming into the club, it's realistic.
Chances of keeping Dack if he has a good season and we are not pushing for promotion?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:41 pm

I'd have thought those two things are closely linked.