Are you satisfied with the results thus far?

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Are you satisfied with the results thus far?

Post by WacoRover » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:22 pm

This board has been relatively silent; just wanting to stir things up a bit. After this weekend at Bolton, the season will be a bit more than 25% complete. How have Rovers done so far, in relation to how we thought things would go?

After 11 games, Rovers are 3-6-2, & 14th in the Championship. We have scored 13 goals, and conceded 15. We have 4 clean sheets, while the goose-egg has been hung on us 3 times. We've won only once at Ewood (1-4-1). My favorite memory so far is winning at Stoke, and doing it all in the 1st half. My worst is getting run over at Bristol City, after we came out fast with the lead. My second worse memory is almost losing 3 points at Stoke!

Dack has scored 5 goals, Mulgrew has 3, and Graham has 2. Palmer, Reed, and Armstrong, 1 each. I expected more scoring than what we have seen thus far. Not that the results would be substantially different, as I figured we would have 16-18 points after this weekend (with a tie, we will reach that). But, I fully expected Armstrong & Brereton to have more than 1 goal between them.

I will also say I expected the defending to be a noticeable improvement, as Nyambe, Mulgrew, Lenihan, each have progressed nicely. I would have thought allowing 11 through 11 games would be a sign Mowbray has the defending where it needs to fully compete in the Championship (only Leeds, M'bro & Swans have allowed less, Birm City have conceded 11, and remarkably, sit at 18th). I haven't looked at the stats, but it seems we've allowed a disproportionate number of goals after 85' this season.

Any players you particularly displeased with, or disappointed in so far? Any of the youngsters providing significant contributions, or are they not providing enough, or given a fair chance to prove themselves? How about Mowbray, is he the talent evaluator and sound tactician needed?

I know it's a long season, and things can change quickly. Three points are dearly desired, though. Hopefully, we get them this weekend.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Are you satisfied with the results thus far?

Post by mcteeth » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:53 am

I think it’s been a great start all things considered given that we’re only just back at this level. It’s also hard not to think that it could easily be 6 wins and 3 draws and those additional 6 points would have us right up towards to top of the table with a quarter of the season played.

Win this weekend and it’ll still feel hugely positive all told. A loss would take the gloss off things a little but you have to have some perspective. I didn’t think we struggle at all to consolidate in the division and still feel that way. We’ve competed with everyone and taken points off big sides so there’s nothing to fear. We’ve got a very good team, work ethic and manager and the renewed positivity of last season is still there. It’s also a weaker division I think than previous seasons, especially in the top half. So let’s just keep going and see what happens.

Player wise I’m pleased that Dack hasn’t just made the step up but he’s excelled. I expected Reed to be good but he is exceeding expectations. I also thought Rothwell wouldn’t be a dud but didn’t expect much but is proving to be a very shrewd signing.

Smallwood worried me initially but has really improved in recent games. And if I was being unkind I think we need a bit more from Armstrong, Palmer and Brereton as we rely too much on Dack and Graham.

I’m also a fan of Bell and against lesser sides, Bolton for example, I’d like to see him attack more as he can really cause some damage.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Good comments, thanks.

It sounds like we’re in agreement on Armstrong & Brereton. Perhaps they will come on the latter part of the season.

I am not at all disappointed in Mowbray. He gave us stability, when we needed it & promotion. I believe we are at the level we should be.

How to finish strong in games, & not concede late... easy for me to talk about, hard to do.

If I was to predict our finish, I’d say top 10, but out of playoff places. Its a logjam at the top right now, so many teams within 7 pts of promotion. It will start to settle down.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:58 am

Yeah and I should just qualify that I’m still pleased with Brereton, Palmer and Armstrong it’s just that the hope is to see them chip in with some goals, also bearing in mind that Brereton hasn’t had many minutes.

Yesterday was Dack again and he’s been unbelievable so far this season.

As far as Mowbray is concerned he’s been the best thing to happen to Rovers in a decade. I’ve got a lot of admiration for him as it’s not just that he stopped to downward spiral and we are on our way back it’s that he has revitalised the whole club.

I expected a mid table finish around 12th which would be a good outcome and that’s probably where we’ll end up. But then I look at those 3 draws and think if we had those 6 points we’d be second on a par with WBA the only team I’m convinced will be promoted. There aren’t the stand out teams the championship has become used too. The top half feels more congested than normal so you just never know what could happen. It’s strange as the Cairney, Rhodes, Gestede et al Bowyer side I always thought was one of the best squads in the division at the time and should have made the play offs at the very least. Bowyer was great but we fell short of our potential in my opinion whereas I’m probably more convinced that this team could sneak in there even in our first season back. That’s more because of the journey we’ve been on, because of Mowbray, the team spirit and they fight hard in every game and aren’t easily beaten.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:51 pm

If you aren't happy with sitting mid table with ample potential to sneak up further in your first season after being promoted then you are almost certainly a Blackburn fan.

When things are going well, things ARE quiet. A lack of rabid spittle flecked shoutmongers kinda implies most people are pretty happy.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:33 pm

See... I would argue that I'm unhappy with our results... Purely from a point of view that the team probably deserves a few more points given the performances.

If you drew up a pre season prediction based on everyone's squads you'd subtly have to say we were doing fine... But that doesn't mean you shouldn't review those expectations as you're going. The momentum from last season seemed to give us a little bump, it would have been nice not to have conceded as many late goals as we have.

The championship is always there for the taking... There aren't many leagues which allow teams to lose as many games and still compete.. and I'm a firm believer that if you find yourself in contention the players will likely start to perform like they belong there

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:55 pm

I think you can only be pleased with our results so far with the bonus of being frustrated in a positive sense that it could have been more points.

That’s mainly the Ipswich game as we should have taken it to 1-3 and killed the game and their goal was a total fluke and Villa as it was a soft free kick then an utter worldy right at the death. Forest I think a draw overall was a very fair reflection of the game and it wasn’t a dive for the other penalty.

But it’s also about balance as we could easily have not beaten Brentford and they had Maupay suspended which helped. Likewise Derby has Lawrence suspended and we could easily lost that game by 4 or 5.

We’ve had a great start and lots to look forward too.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:40 pm

By now Mowbray will know what he must do in January to give us that extra little push that will get us into the play offs. Fortunately we've had no serious injuries although Dack must be a worry- like Rhodes, the big lights are flashing at him and the lad must be tempted by a possible move into the Premiership. With the strength in depth of our squad and possible reinforcements arriving in Jan I believe we are strong enough to overcome possibly losing Dack, whatever, in percentage terms, he is probably the shrewdest signing since Friedel and Alan Shearer.
One thing that absolutely has to change is our home form. One home win after a quarter of the season is just not good enough. Make Ewood a fortress and promotion will look more of a probability than a possibility.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:04 am

At the moment losing Dack would be absolutely fatal to our season. It's difficult to see any possible upside... for the player as well, a move to a premiership bench would be a terrible idea.

zeffania
Promising youngster

Post by zeffania » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Some of the draws, would have nice to hold on for the win, but the league as a whole has had more draws than ever so I don't feel bad. We are holding our own and 10th, a point away from the playoffs.

Now we just need to tie Mowbury down to a long term contract and Evans/Mulgrew. Do that and I will be well chuffed. Hopeful Dack will stay, but if he does go, I would wish him well and hope we get a decent return and in time to find a suitable replacement.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:00 pm

theadore wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:04 am
At the moment losing Dack would be absolutely fatal to our season. It's difficult to see any possible upside... for the player as well, a move to a premiership bench would be a terrible idea.
It's all rumours but there has been the reported WBA coming back in January with a £20m bid as well as Leicester recalling Harvey Barnes in January too :|