Swansea City v Blackburn Rovers, Tue, 23 Oct 2018, KO 19:45

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

If Swansea sees swans, where is the Swan Sea?

Right next to the arable farmers
13%
Up the street from Igor Tudor's kiln
38%
Across the way from the Nordic Bakeware shop
No votes
Near the kestrels, where keep pooing on my car
13%
Adjacent to the suit wearing gibbons
38%

Total votes: 8

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Swansea City v Blackburn Rovers, Tue, 23 Oct 2018, KO 19:45

Post by WacoRover » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Talk about the wheels coming off...

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:44 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:26 pm
stillgrowling wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:23 pm
Swansea dominating second half, 2-1 to the Swans,
look like scoring more. Brereton sounds as though he is having a poor game, Dack inexplicably asked to play up front on his own.
What happened on Raya's og?
It wasn’t a dreadful error by any means. He was beaten by a long shot that came back off the post, strikes him on the back and trickles in. Horrible one but hard to say how it could have been avoided.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:46 pm

Yea, wheels definitely came off. I don't think Mowbray has learned that Dack up top alone is a good idea. We see this everytime Graham comes off and Brereton comes on. I hope this is the match where he says "yea I screwed up, I will change that."

I don't know what to really say about this match. Evans had a really poor game, he didn't seem good at all. Passes went wrong, wasn't in the right position. Wasn't a bright spot at all. Same with Bell, always seems tied down going forward. If I was to sum up this performance, this is how I felt Rovers would perform against the opposition this season. Struggle to find a foothold in matches, and hope to find some goals.

It really shows how much Mowbray's gameplan crumbles without Graham up top. If we are to push for a playoff position, another target forward needs to be added or Brereton needs to be given a chance there.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 pm

Long journey home now. Didn’t deserve anything from that. First half was as expected Swansea over playing without ever really threatening and the one time we got Armstrong and Bell overlapping won the penalty and then not much really happened through to half time.

I think the only thing Mowbray got wrong was trying to counter Potter’s changes at half time. Fulton came on and he, James and Grimes murdered us down our right flank. He switched Armstrong and Reed I’m assuming because he anticipated Fulton bombing forward and leaving a huge hole for Armstrong to exploit. That was true in theory but the problem was Bennett being overloaded and we couldn’t cope let alone counter attack. I was surprised he didn’t switch Reed back just to regroup and keep our lead. As the second and third goals were a direct result of them attacking that side, along with a number of other chances created.

The equaliser although unlucky for Raya we should have closed down the shot better as it was the first time we let them have a clear effort at goal.

Really key moment at 2-1 was Dack being inches from equalising then 20 seconds later it’s 3-1 and game is over.

Rodwell looked decent and his passing can be very effective. Brereton I thought gave us something more up front despite playing wide. Disagree with the comments above as I felt we only really started creating chances once Rothwell and Brereton were on. Aside from the penalty we weren’t creating much.

Swansea were just very good in that second half so just move on to WBA at the weekend.
Last edited by mcteeth on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 pm

Seems to be a lot of fuss about Graham going off and Brereton coming on to play on the left. Was pretty clear that van der Hoorn was winning absolutely everything in the air but Brereton could go up against Naughton and start winning balls and getting us on the attack which did start to happen, particularly with Rodwell hitting diagonals.

Not sure what the problem is, we created all our best chances in that formation and were it not for a van der Hoorn last ditch header and a great save from Nordfeldt then Dack would have scored twice playing centrally.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:43 pm

I just don't see the purpose of Dack centrally as a false 9 striker. His best football comes from behind the striker, not as a striker. Sure, Brereton on the left wing did create some opportunity, but if that's the case, he needs to be pushed higher up the pitch as a striker rather than a winger.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:53 am

I’m not advocating it as a system we should start games with or use regularly, just that it was clear to see why Mowbray did it within the context of the game and it resulted in us looking more dangerous going forward.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:41 pm

I agree now, I do see how it was effective later on. It did help get something going. However, as a system, if we are going launch long balls, Dack centrally is not a good plan.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:43 pm

When the same 18 players were nominated for the match and the same 11 players started I felt alarm bells ringing. I just don't subscribe to the 'don't change a winning team theory'.
The team needed freshening, I'd have played Brereton as cf from the start and used Danny as sub. Palmer, Rothwell,Travis, Tomlinson and Conway aren't getting enough game time. They will also get stale unless they get more opportunities.I'm not advocating them playing in the same match, but Evans for instance has come off a couple of International matches and gone straight into two top flight Rovers games.
Shake em up Tony!