Preston North End v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 24 Nov 2018, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Why did Preston settle on the North End?

The farmers found the land much more arable
10%
It's where Igor Tudor built his kiln
50%
The potters already took up the south end with their Nordic Bakeware
10%
A large contingent of kestrels flew around the North End, not through, keeping the cars kestrel poop free
No votes
Gibbons pushed their banana republic to the limit
10%
I heard nasty stories about the south. The south was not bringing their best. They are bringing their kestrel poop, and the gibbons are bringing their banana peels for people to slip on. This is something I can't stand for, as these Kestrels and gibbons are bad hombres. Big hombres, ocean sized hombres. They showed how bigly they are willing to bring that poop and those banana peels. That is why I am issuing an executive order on poop and banana peels to Make The North End Great Again!
20%

Total votes: 10

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Preston North End v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 24 Nov 2018, KO 15:00

Post by WacoRover » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:13 pm

So we have to fight like two cats in a sack to get a point today.

Oops, not happening now, I'm afraid.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:09 pm

Graham with his first touch 2-1

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:20 pm

Danny Boy!

Looks like we're getting good shots today

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:30 pm

Brereton and Rothwell on for Palmer and Arma.

Come on boys!

yankfan
Promising youngster

Post by yankfan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:39 pm

Terrible result this. Really an inflection point in the season. I hate to over react, but I think this result shows were not play off material. Best to sell Dack in January and look to add more young talent. Were 2-3 years from making a promotion push.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:49 pm

I don't think it's time to overreact just yet. This is a battering for sure, but I think it's a matter of tactics. When we go down, it's all in on hoof ball.

I think in January you look for another Reed type where he can make things happen from the midfield, or another creative winger. Armstrong disappears a lot on the left wing and Palmer shows only flashes.

It is a wake up call, but it's not a point to panic and sell off Dack unless it's a stupid offer.

yankfan
Promising youngster

Post by yankfan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:49 pm
I don't think it's time to overreact just yet. This is a battering for sure, but I think it's a matter of tactics. When we go down, it's all in on hoof ball.

I think in January you look for another Reed type where he can make things happen from the midfield, or another creative winger. Armstrong disappears a lot on the left wing and Palmer shows only flashes.

It is a wake up call, but it's not a point to panic and sell off Dack unless it's a stupid offer.

At £25mm I think you have to take the money unless we are making a push, and today shows were not quite there yet.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:00 pm

We have to make more use of Brereton and Rodwell. Williams might have cut it in Div 1, but hasn't stepped up to the Championship. Not convinced by Mowbray's forward line today. Neither Palmer nor Dack are centre forwards, Dack loses his effectiveness when leading the line.
We should wipe our noses and go again on Wednesday. It could be that we were beaten today by one of the best teams in the league, only time will tell.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:03 pm

If it's 25 mil, you take it. That's a stupid offer in my book. You take it and reinvest it into the squad.

We really are dependent upon Dack doing something special all the time. These are the results we get when we hope for the creative players to do something.

I think also of note is that we had a couple of shots that were rather close to creeping in.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:52 pm

Very poor today, just move on to Wednesday.

No idea why Williams started as Bell is the better left back. Equally not sure why Palmer has justified starting the last 2 games.

Hull away was the only game we didn’t start a recognised striker and it worked. Otherwise it’s been a disaster, not sure why Mowbray chooses to use it as an option.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:11 pm

Mowbrays comments after the game. He said if we are looking for excuses then both Graham and Mulgrew have not trained in the last two weeks and Lenihan has done a lot of travelling on international duty. Mowbray defended his tactics and although chose not to be too hard on the players still placed the reason for this defeat on the players. Mowbray surely has to look at his tactics and players chosen to play in certain positions. Mulgrew shouldnt have been considered if he had not trained. Palmer is not a striker. Armstrong is not a winger. Preston marshalled Dack well today by basically bullying him out of the game. Not Dacks fault in any way but Rovers do need a better plan B than there is when Dack has little influence on the game. Not the first time Rovers have conceded four goals this season and they have come back well after being beaten. We will see what happens next time out at Wigan.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:54 pm
My allegiance is irrelevant to this conversation. Especially when you give teams a made up title, because they aren't the Browns, who is truly America's team.
Cowboys didn't make it up, or our fans. NFL Films did, in the 1970's: "There's Only One America's Team"

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:57 pm

Well I’ve spent better Saturday afternoons that for sure....

Very strange game. Awful 10 mins, then followed us dominating the rest of the half. Their keeper has pulled off 3 outstanding saves. We get the early goal in the 2nd half but then don’t really create a chance. They score a 3rd (Williams look away now) but then we look like we hit back immediately only for it to be ruled out offside (would like to see it again).

4-1 was pretty harsh on us in my opinion.

Let’s not overreact. This group of players have generally reacted well to defeat so let’s see how we get on against Wigan.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:57 pm

And just seen the “offside” goal. Looks like a bad decision and a potential game changer.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm

I wish people would stop floating the idea that Dack is a £25M footballer. Despite the rumours re West Brom I can't see anyone wanting to pay more than £15M tops. Since he's been marked out of games he hasn't done a great deal in the last few matches. I still think he's probably Rovers' biggest asset but he's got some way to go before he's worth £25M.