Rovers/Birmingham City

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
yankfan
Promising youngster
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by yankfan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:55 pm

MouseTrap wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:44 pm
WacoRover wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:42 pm
I can't jump off the wagon this quick on TM. Besides, its the defending now.
It's defending now but it's been lack of goals all season, he won't play players where they play best, is he thick?
No doubt we dropped points on too many occasions, but being 2nd place in league one last campaign its unrealistic to expect this side to know how to hold a lead at a higher level.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by WacoRover » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:58 pm

That was a tough two minutes that allowed Birmingham to tie it, and the team had to fight like two cats in a sack to get the point.

Rovers are in the top half of the Championship. I don't want any major changes now.

MouseTrap
New signing
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by MouseTrap » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:08 pm

A starting 11 with players in their correct positions would be a major change. If we don't make the playoffs it's down to the manager,. Yes we're new to the division but we have a top 6 squad. Finish 7th or lower and its failure as far as I'm concerned,. Forget last year, this year we have a good championship squad, with a 7mil striker playing 10 minutes a week on the wing.

SORT IT OUT MOWBRAY!

MouseTrap
New signing
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by MouseTrap » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:12 pm

Venkys must be questing why they allow Mowbray to spend more than 1mil per player, his 'cheap' buys have been good, it seems he doesn't know how to spend a decent lump of cash. £7,000,000 WASTED!

MouseTrap
New signing
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by MouseTrap » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:15 pm

I'm normally calm and people say I'm too passive, I can't be alone in thinking the clock is ticking faster for Mowbray than the 29th March deadline for brexit is for Prime Minister Treason Stay

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by WacoRover » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:16 pm

I understand that; but even if we made a change who out there is any better right now... do we want big Sam back, lol

MouseTrap
New signing
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by MouseTrap » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:19 pm

I would have Big Sam back, he would get the most out of this squad, he has actually got teams promoted you know, and once he has he keeps them up. I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

yankfan
Promising youngster
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by yankfan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:19 pm

MouseTrap wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:12 pm
Venkys must be questing why they allow Mowbray to spend more than 1mil per player, his 'cheap' buys have been good, it seems he doesn't know how to spend a decent lump of cash. £7,000,000 WASTED!
We haven't bought him yet. I'd say hes more of a long term investment than instant reward.

MouseTrap
New signing
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by MouseTrap » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:31 pm

We'd be better off loaning him out once we've paid for him in January. We'll probably keep him and play him out wide, and another 3 or 4 midfielders in to play in defence upfront and occasionally in goal. I have really liked Mowbray but my feelings have changed, I started seriously doubting him when he started playing Dack upfront and Brereton out wide, Brereton should have 5 or 6 games under his belt now having played upfront from the start of games. It's stupid why this hasn't happened.

User avatar
Darth Rover
Ageing international
Posts: 4128
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:53 pm

The simple reason why you cannot even suggest changing managers is you take a look at what happen when Sam Allardyce was in charge. Rovers were a mid table team and the owners were convinced by advisers that better times lay ahead if they dismissed Sam. We saw what happened. OK Sam proved to be a dodgy so and so but he went on to prove he could keep teams in the premiership. More recently and more relevant to this league just take a look at what has happened at Ipswich since Mick McCarthy left. Be careful what you wish for. Yes you can be lucky and end up like Wolves, Huddersfield and Cardiff but in my opinion there is no one at the club who is capable of making a decision that would improve Rovers managerial position. By that i mean i dont trust anyone at BRFC to go a and choose a better manager. Tony Mowbray like everyone else makes mistakes but the bigger picture is he has returned some kind of harmony at the club after years of bad feeling and that has been a slow but steady progression. On the Ben Brereton signing i too have questioned what TM sees in him. If Rovers were battling relegation i would be questioning it even more but lets say the club do dispense with TM services. How long do you think Bradley Dack will stay?..If Dack stays beyond the January transfer window it will be because of Tony Mowbray.

MouseTrap
New signing
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by MouseTrap » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:15 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:53 pm
The simple reason why you cannot even suggest changing managers is you take a look at what happen when Sam Allardyce was in charge. Rovers were a mid table team and the owners were convinced by advisers that better times lay ahead if they dismissed Sam. We saw what happened. OK Sam proved to be a dodgy so and so but he went on to prove he could keep teams in the premiership. More recently and more relevant to this league just take a look at what has happened at Ipswich since Mick McCarthy left. Be careful what you wish for. Yes you can be lucky and end up like Wolves, Huddersfield and Cardiff but in my opinion there is no one at the club who is capable of making a decision that would improve Rovers managerial position. By that i mean i dont trust anyone at BRFC to go a and choose a better manager. Tony Mowbray like everyone else makes mistakes but the bigger picture is he has returned some kind of harmony at the club after years of bad feeling and that has been a slow but steady progression. On the Ben Brereton signing i too have questioned what TM sees in him. If Rovers were battling relegation i would be questioning it even more but lets say the club do dispense with TM services. How long do you think Bradley Dack will stay?..If Dack stays beyond the January transfer window it will be because of Tony Mowbray.
Dack would stay for 2 or 3 seasons at least if we won the playoffs. The players themselves will be starting to question Mowbrays team selection and tactics I genuinely believe, we made hard work of League 1, never looking as convincing as Wigan did. This season we are throwing away an insane number of points mainly due to team selection and tactics, I really believe this. To only score 1 goal against 10 men for 70 minutes and not just that but having to (yet again) hang on desperately at the end to avoid defeat demonstrates our problem this season, we can't score or defend, I would rather lose 3-0 having watched strikers playing upfront missing sitters, defenders clumsily giving away penalties and being red carded but building and understanding together with 3 other players he knows he will more than likely be playing next to the next game. I'd rather we lose 3-0 and watch Rothwell grow as a player and start creating chances from the centre of midfield with WINGERS bombing up and down the flanks. I'd rather lose 3-0 then watch a team of out of position draw 50% of their games never looking comfortable or capable of finishing a game by more than 1 goal. I don't enjoy watching a disjointed seemingly goal threatless 11 masking taped together limp through 90 minutes after 90 minutes. The optimism and excitement I had at the start of the season has evaporated, not because we're not good enough but because we ARE good enough but we're wasting opportunity after opportunity. How long will Dack stay after we finish around 10th this season with frustrated team mates, Brereton being 1 I would suggest, he might be ok with it now but if we start dropping even further down the table drawing game after game having scored 1 or 2 goals if we're lucky he's going to think the manager is tactically inept and nothing more than an average Championship manager, that he would be better off playing for a more attack minded manager and boost his bank balance while he does it. I think the situation is more critical than some are suggesting.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14869
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Well, it appears we have a new asshat on the forum. Welcome!

MouseTrap
New signing
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by MouseTrap » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:57 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 pm
asshat
Can you tell me what it is that you don't really agree with from what I've said? I'm genuinely interested.

MouseTrap
New signing
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by MouseTrap » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:14 am

I think looking at his enthusiasm today and desire to win headers, Brereton no longer has the 'buzz' he had after his move here, big price tag, compliments in the media, excited fans. He now waits on the bench for 70 or 80 minutes to go and play winger with some other round pegs playing in square areas. I'd be disillusioned as hell if I were him.
We need Mowbray to swallow his pride or make excuses for 'throwing the dice' and playing an on paper best 11 in their favourite positions objective.
Am I going insane, its becoming intolerable.

yankfan
Promising youngster
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Rovers/Birmingham City

Post by yankfan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:54 am

MouseTrap wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:14 am
I think looking at his enthusiasm today and desire to win headers, Brereton no longer has the 'buzz' he had after his move here, big price tag, compliments in the media, excited fans. He now waits on the bench for 70 or 80 minutes to go and play winger with some other round pegs playing in square areas. I'd be disillusioned as hell if I were him.
We need Mowbray to swallow his pride or make excuses for 'throwing the dice' and playing an on paper best 11 in their favourite positions objective.
Am I going insane, its becoming intolerable.
His best position may be up front back to goal and he may end up there, but right now he's young and has a lot to learn. Transfer fee aside, you play young talented players where they and the team can be successful. Out wide on the wing is the lowest risk position on the field. Limited defensive responsibilities, more space and time on the ball with less consequences of poor decisions. I'd say TM playing B out wide indicates that he thinks the lad is still undeveloped to play in the middle or up top. I'd also say the fee he paid means he thinks he has the ability to be much much better. TM is trying to get the kid experience while also trying to get results. I'd bet if/when promotion and play offs are out of the possibility we will see him up top and Graham on the bench. Until then TM is going to play him in safe positions with limited minutes. The lads only 19 and has not featured much at this level. As long as promotion is in reach it's best to play more proven qualities.

Post Reply