Blackburn Rovers v Norwich City, Sat, 22 Dec 2018, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Who's gonna win

Me
No votes
You
No votes
The Computer
29%
The Aggressor
No votes
Gibbons Riding Kestrels
29%
Igor Tudor's Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich
No votes
A Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich Made from Nordic Bakeware
29%
RAFT (Riding Arable Farmers' Toyota)
14%

Total votes: 7

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Blackburn Rovers v Norwich City, Sat, 22 Dec 2018, KO 15:00

Post by WacoRover » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:24 pm

Yes, we concede again late. I think we can all say we're tired of losing points late, game after game.

MouseTrap
New signing

Post by MouseTrap » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:30 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:17 pm
Anyway, in the real world.....

Bit annoying we couldn't hold on for a point, would have been good to get one against the league leaders.
Impossible, had we got a point Norwich would have stayed 2nd, not been the leaders.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:33 pm

No shame in losing against Norwich. That’s 9 wins in 11 for them and we as good as matched them for 90 minutes. As Mowbray said it’s fine margins.

The frustration is just not getting 3 points in either the Boro or Brum games. But as always it’s about perspective given where we came from last season.

Won’t get much easier away at Leeds either.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:43 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:33 pm
No shame in losing against Norwich.
The frustration is just not getting 3 points in either the Boro or Brum games. But as always it’s about perspective given where we came from last season.

Won’t get much easier away at Leeds either.
Exactly. At least we're able to play 1, 2, & 4 and be competitive

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:20 pm

That was harsh on us. We defended so well all game and deserved the clean sheet IMO. No doubt Norwich are a good team with some very good players.

The one disappointment was the lack of impact from Palmer and Brereton. I’m becoming increasingly concerned that the later may be an expensive flop ala Grabbi.

Could be interesting where we find ourselves in the league after the next 3 games. Big task ahead.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:30 pm

MouseTrap wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:30 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:17 pm
Anyway, in the real world.....

Bit annoying we couldn't hold on for a point, would have been good to get one against the league leaders.
Impossible, had we got a point Norwich would have stayed 2nd, not been the leaders.
Touché. Course, I'm the pedantic one, eh?

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:55 pm

After a team has been promoted it is always going to be hard to maintain the regular winning of games. We all know Rovers history of the last ten years but the last eighteen months have seen a steady progression. Although Rovers were beaten today it was not a bad performance and if you take a look at our fellow promotees of last season they did a lot worse than Rovers today. Yes would love Rovers to be fighting to get back in the premiership but the reality is it isnt going to happen this season. With 31 points already it is safe to assume Rovers will be playing championship football next season. Rovers have an FA Cup game to look forward to and the January transfer window coming up so hopefully Rovers can improve the squad and have a good second half of the season.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:55 pm
After a team has been promoted it is always going to be hard to maintain the regular winning of games. We all know Rovers history of the last ten years but the last eighteen months have seen a steady progression.
With 31 points already it is safe to assume Rovers will be playing championship football next season. Rovers have an FA Cup game to look forward to and the January transfer window coming up so hopefully Rovers can improve the squad and have a good second half of the season.
I endorse this message.

Lots to play for, and as you say, if the transfer window is good to us, we might climb back enough to challenge for a playoff spot! Good stuff

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:06 am

Darth Rover wrote:
After a team has been promoted it is always going to be hard to maintain the regular winning of games. We all know Rovers history of the last ten years but the last eighteen months have seen a steady progression. Although Rovers were beaten today it was not a bad performance and if you take a look at our fellow promotees of last season they did a lot worse than Rovers today. Yes would love Rovers to be fighting to get back in the premiership but the reality is it isnt going to happen this season. With 31 points already it is safe to assume Rovers will be playing championship football next season. Rovers have an FA Cup game to look forward to and the January transfer window coming up so hopefully Rovers can improve the squad and have a good second half of the season.
Stop being rational, Darth!

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:06 am

A little bit of inexperience from our younger players cost us yesterday. Nyambe particularly. Several times he carved his way into the Norwich penalty area then made the wrong decisions - passing when he should have shot and vice versa. This lad will score before long. To a certain extent Bell was similar, beating the full back, getting into a good position, then wasting it.
Reid had a blinder - the lad never stops running,his tackling is excellent and deserved mom. I so hope we can get him on a permanent basis. From the cameos we've seen from Travis this season, he's rather like Reid, bags of youthful aggression.
So what do we say about Palmer and Brereton? Palmer clearly has talent, but misuses it -always trying to beat an extra defender when a pass would be better. I'm not quite sure what to make of him - possibly he needs more game time. As for Brereton I was shocked that he was so poor yesterday - surely he must be better than that? Perhaps he's on 'sale or return' -if so he can go tomorrow for me.
Not quite sure what Rothwell has to do to get on the pitch - he'd have been a far better option than Brereton.
Danny once more gave an object lesson in how to hold the ball up with his back to the goal and for me Smallwood had his best game of the season.
Raya too had a cracker, Dack was stifled out of the game.
In the end we were unlucky to lose by the odd goal. Two really frustrating games in the last two weeks. No one should be surprised if we tonk Leeds on Boxing Day.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:15 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:17 pm
Darth Rover wrote:
After a team has been promoted it is always going to be hard to maintain the regular winning of games. We all know Rovers history of the last ten years but the last eighteen months have seen a steady progression.
With 31 points already it is safe to assume Rovers will be playing championship football next season. Rovers have an FA Cup game to look forward to and the January transfer window coming up so hopefully Rovers can improve the squad and have a good second half of the season.
I endorse this message.

Lots to play for, and as you say, if the transfer window is good to us, we might climb back enough to challenge for a playoff spot! Good stuff
There is a danger though and other promoted teams from League One have suffered from over recent years. Wigan i believe if memory serves me right along with Barnsley and Burton have all returned back to league One after one decent season in the championship. I believe Rovers, Wigan and Rotherham are not immune to suffer the same fate. I wonder if some of their better players moved on after impressing and the squads suffered as a result. Rovers must watch out for this by remaining attractive to good players and giving out the message that Rovers will be challenging for promotion next season. Not an easy task as every other championship club will be wanting the same. At this point i must apologise to Mr Blackbat for being rational.....MOWBRAY OUT!....is that better?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Yep that's much better. I reckon you need an added Veky's Out, declaration that all our players are shit, and we should move the club to Melton Mowbray.... Or Doha...

MouseTrap
New signing

Post by MouseTrap » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:38 pm

One reason our young inexperienced players are making mistakes is because they are inexperienced, I totally agree. The way to remedy this is to give them game time and gain experience. I don't see goal difference playing a big role this season so in games like yesterday I would take a few 'risks' and put out my desired starting 11 that I'd hope would be the strongest and most attacking 11 that would play attractive football in the future now, so they start to gain experience. Who knows, they could click in a small number of games. Who were our wide men from Smallwood, Reed, Evans, Dack and Armstrong? Why are we not playing natural wingers on the wings with either a number 10 behind our 9 or 2 upfront? Those games Dack played upfront while Brereton sat on the bench genuinely angered me. If Mowbray wants to develop a more attractive style of play he is going to have to select the players capable of it, when is he going to do this, what is he waiting for? It honestly upsets me, not in an angry way, in a sad depressed way. These games over the Xmas period are all 'free swings' in my opinion and therefore the perfect opportunities to take a few 'risks' and see what we are really capable of. Come on Mowbray surprise us all and put out an attack minded 442 or 441.
Come on you BLACKBURN ROVERS!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:26 pm

We should definitely play 441. It's the best formation.