Boxing Day Bash: Leeds United v Blackburn Rovers, Wed 26 Dec 2018, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

What's in the box?

Schrödinger's cat
14%
Sorrows
No votes
A group of gibbons
No votes
A cluster of kestrels
14%
A Vintage 1822 Nordic Casserole Dish
57%
A paid trip to be with Igor Tudor on tour of his arable farms
14%

Total votes: 7

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Re: Boxing Day Bash: Leeds United v Blackburn Rovers, Wed 26 Dec 2018, KO 15:00

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:28 pm

I believe this is the statistic you are referring to.

I understand the mistakes that are made, but they are mistakes and missteps that need to be corrected.

Just watched the highlights of Leeds. One thing I am intrigued by is Jack Rodwell starting. He seemed to do very well where he played. It would be very convenient if he was part of the answer to our midfield needs. Problem is, Evans and Smallwood are really lower tier Championship players and I don't think can really help us push for playoffs or even top 12. Harrison Reed, unless there is a clause in the loan to buy, is great but only as band-aid. Still haven't seen anything from Davenport so can't make any assumptions on that.

I just feel that Rovers need some significant upgrades in key positions to really push for any type of contention. That's not to say I don't like where Rovers sit at the moment. 9 points off of Millwall, which I consider the danger zone. Once we get past Newcastle on the 5th of January, Rovers have a very smooth road comparatively. Millwall, Ipswich, Hull City, Brentford, Bristol City, Reading all in that order in the 6 matches after the FA Cup. I would love to see 12 points out of 18 on those 6 matches.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:26 am

I was more thinking something like these.... https://www.soccerstats.com/timing.asp?league=england2

Nearly a quarter of all goals scored in the last fifteen minutes of play, and 41% in the last half hour. So the perception of a leaky defence late on actually could just be we have a leaky defence, the late on part is just when teams score. And at Ewood.... Well don't bother showing up for the first half!

If you look at the times leading section as well its quite interesting. Need to spend a bit of time analysing before too much comment, would be nice if it was sorted by league position rather than alphabetically too.

Most goals conceded in the last ten minutes away from home in the League isn't good though.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:38 am

It isn't good but I do agree with Mowbray with his post match comments in the LT, he's honest and says that the stats add up but he then focuses on the positives about being in these positions and that it is fine margins. We clearly have areas to improve so the fine margins fall our way in future. He highlights Leeds putting Jansson up top and that it threw us and Graham drops back to man mark him so we lose our out ball and both goals come from crosses in to Jansson that we don't deal with.

Birmingham had a shock win at Leeds and are the only side to win there this season and I doubt many will and we were there in injury time within a few minutes of doing the same. I'm happier for us to be doing that than say being an Ipswich who are just shit. Mowbray is right we're close to being a decent side, it's one thing to be a few minutes from taking 4 points against Norwich and Leeds in back to back games, it would be another to roll over and be comfortably beaten in both.
Last edited by mcteeth on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:23 am

Totally agree. Work in progress, this season should always have been about consolidation, which we're doing just fine. We're on the up.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:45 am

Yeah and you could argue that we're a season ahead of a hypothetical plan. We got promoted so this season you'd look to consolidate and avoid a relegation scrap, whereas we're sat here bemoaning a few late slip ups against top opposition that would have us sat right up towards the top.

A solid mid-table finish without any hint of relegation come May will be a very good season, any better than that would be a huge bonus. That's what we still seem on course to be doing whilst seeing the squad develop and learn with the hope of adding some further quality.