Boxing Day Bash: Leeds United v Blackburn Rovers, Wed 26 Dec 2018, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

What's in the box?

Schrödinger's cat
14%
Sorrows
No votes
A group of gibbons
No votes
A cluster of kestrels
14%
A Vintage 1822 Nordic Casserole Dish
57%
A paid trip to be with Igor Tudor on tour of his arable farms
14%

Total votes: 7

bobbyoc
Promising youngster

Re: Boxing Day Bash: Leeds United v Blackburn Rovers, Wed 26 Dec 2018, KO 15:00

Post by bobbyoc » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:54 pm

We are bottlers. We need proper leaders and people who can actually defend. This is very frustrating!
Tony should absolutely F the lads out of it after the game.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Serious problems conceding late. TM needs to find some answers. Trying hard & playing hard for 90' isn't worth much when you're crap after 90'
Last edited by WacoRover on Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Give it a few minutes, I’m sure we’ll hear how this was Mowbray’s fault

yankfan
Promising youngster

Post by yankfan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Fucking L!

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:04 pm

2-1 up with 4 minutes to go, you cannot lose a football match....unless you are rovers that is! We defended so well for 90 mins and then fall to pieces. Smallwood gifting a free kick in the lead up to the 3rd goal and Rothwell not clearing his lines was massively frustrating. A point would have been a great result.

That will be a huge dent into the confidence going into Saturday’s match

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:07 pm

That is why we are not top of the league. A small difference in quality. But was anyone serious about Rovers promotion chances this season?. Rovers have another hard game before the end of the year after a month of playing promotion contenders. Best thing about it all Rovers have performed well overall...its just the final result that have spoiled it. We move on with a bigger challenge in January to hang on to our better players. Get through that and with a couple of quality additions we will be ok and hopefully next season we can progress to a point that we can win the games in extra time.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:15 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:07 pm
That is why we are not top of the league. A small difference in quality. But was anyone serious about Rovers promotion chances this season?. Rovers have another hard game before the end of the year after a month of playing promotion contenders. Best thing about it all Rovers have performed well overall...its just the final result that have spoiled it. We move on with a bigger challenge in January to hang on to our better players. Get through that and with a couple of quality additions we will be ok and hopefully next season we can progress to a point that we can win the games in extra time.
I like your positivity.

as you say, we have to hang onto our key players, who may be feeling like the bottom has dropped out, and may be viewing their options.

Where would we be without Dack & Mulgrew? If we lose those guys, I am fearful of the rest of the season.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:54 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:15 pm
Darth Rover wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:07 pm
I like your positivity.

as you say, we have to hang onto our key players, who may be feeling like the bottom has dropped out, and may be viewing their options.

Where would we be without Dack & Mulgrew? If we lose those guys, I am fearful of the rest of the season.
Rather than being positive i am more accepting of Rovers situation. The bigger picture is Rovers where a decent Premier league team but will find it very difficult to return to that level. To get to a level where they can challenge for a top six place in the championship it needs more time, better players and maybe a better manager. There are several players in the current team who are simply not good enough. Some are good enough and some are young enough to learn and get better. The managers task is to improve the squad which he gets a chance to do in January and hopefully next summer. I would give Tony Mowbray that time and maybe this time next year we could seriously be talking promotion. If that does not happen then maybe there will be good reasons to look at other avenues. But as i have said before who at the club do we trust to go out and get a better manager than Tony Mowbray.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:23 pm

It's a phrase I hate to use, but can't help thinking we're on a run of rotten luck. We're not playing badly, and things will change. Perhaps not enough to put us in contention, but enough to establish us as a (newly promoted) decent Championship side.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:10 pm

I had to look at "the other" Rovers site.

Lots of frustration, which I partly understand. Tony Mowbray is a BS-er? I don't really get that

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Wheels are starting to come off at the "right" time I think. Right before January where reinforcements can come in, I think it is a good time to collapse if there ever was one. Quite clear we need a central midfielder to be the general we are missing. Wouldn't hurt to find an upgrade at left back. Lastly, a real winger would be nice as well.

Overall, disappointed but not shocked. I hope we can stop losing /drawing matches in the final 5 minutes. It's a terrible routine.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:46 pm

I read a stat that we have been in winning positions in 17 of our matches this season. It is massively disappointing that we have only converted 7 of those into victories.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Gaz wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:46 pm
I read a stat that we have been in winning positions in 17 of our matches this season. It is massively disappointing that we have only converted 7 of those into victories.
I like stats like that because it does show a lot about how games are won and lost.

Ideally, you hope to get 100% chances converted. Realistically, I hope for about 80% when you are a good team. Rovers right now are in a good category, because that's hard to achieve 17 times out of 24 thus far, to be in a winning position. But only being able to convert 7 put of 17 is very poor.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:03 am

You'd need to look at wider stats than Rovers to ascertain whether it's good or bad. And winning position simply means you were in the lead at some point in the match: I'm sure we all know that the first goal doesn't equate to winning.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:22 am

Blackbat is right as I think the stat I've seen is that we've been winning in 15 games but only won 7 of them, but it's not always last minute cruelty. Certainly Ipswich, Villa, Boro, Birmingham and Leeds are frustrating as the goals conceded were late (Boro not so much late but against 10 men) but I'm still taking the positives of being in those positions. Then you've got games like Swansea where we were 0-1 up at half time but lost 4-1, were awful and totally outclassed in the second half.

Ipswich and Villa were unlucky for me, a fluke goal and a woldie freekick that wasn't a foul. Boro should have got a second and again a great goal you can't do much about. Birmingham self inflicted with mistake from Raya then switching off. Leeds, mad end to the game but although we'd done well enough for 90 mins a penalty and a freekick that should have easily been saved we would have been a touch fortunate to sneak a win. But then a bit of panic in the last 4 minutes.

The only thing that is starting to bother me is that it's an issue that is currently compounding itself. Opposition teams will know that we get a bit twitchy at the back and concede late goals, so they'll look to turn up the pressure in the last 10 minutes which in turn will make us panic even more. Then little mistakes and lapses in concentration seem to be getting punished, but we are in a run of games against the best in the division so they have the quality to punish us.

Other stat I've seen is 50% of the goals we've conceded have been after 70 minutes and nearly half of those are after 80 minutes. But again it's perspective, we've been evolving as a squad, freshly promoted and the margins are much finer at this level with a notable step up in quality. The cross and movement for Roofe's winner is superb as much as we could possibly have done more to stop the cross. Momentary lapses like that in League 1 didn't as often lead to a quality goal right at the death.