Sheffield United v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 29th Dec 2018, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

What is the greatest of all The Blades?

Charlie Mulgrew's left foot
38%
Foliage blades rustling in the wind as a Whoop of Gibbons swing and leap across the forest canopy
38%
The glistening blades of a plough in the spring sun as Arable Farmers furrow the lands
No votes
A Hover of Kestrals dancing around the whirring blades of a wind farm
No votes
Igor Tudor unsheathing the blade of his sword
13%
You see these trowel blades, the biggest trowel, beautiful. Nobody uses a trowel better than me. I can use this trowel to cement the biggest wall, nobody builds walls bigger than me, bigly. So inexpensively. Sad.
13%

Total votes: 8

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Re: Sheffield United v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 29th Dec 2018, KO 15:00

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:13 pm

One thing Rovers do not seem to have is access to decent foreign players. Apart from David Raya who has been in England since being a teenager i cannot recall without investigating the last time Rovers brought in a player from overseas. And by that i mean Europe and further afield. I would not call Ireland as being foreign before anyone states the obvious. What is Carlos Villanueva up to these days?

bobbyoc
Promising youngster

Post by bobbyoc » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:59 pm

Only got to see the goals, and not the full highlights. Anybody know how Travis and Rothwell did? They are 2 that I would have liked to see involved more in games.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Travis was okay, put a ton of effort in. Don't think central midfield is his position. Needs to work on what to do when winning the ball and making complete passes. Looked rushed.

Rothwell did okay as well. Made a couple missed touches which gave up possession. Made those bombing runs right down the middle of the park. I would like to give him another shot before I write him off.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:37 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:13 pm
What is Carlos Villanueva up to these days?
"Playing" in Saudi Arabia.

You'd be wrong about Ireland too: it's as much a foreign country as any EU member.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:11 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:13 pm
One thing Rovers do not seem to have is access to decent foreign players. Apart from David Raya who has been in England since being a teenager i cannot recall without investigating the last time Rovers brought in a player from overseas.
https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.s ... =transfers

It was when we went through the Portuguese phase under Steve Kean (ignoring Koita and Petshi in 2015 and Yann Songo'o in 2013 who never really did anything)

To be fair, flicking back through the last 8 or 9 seasons, most players that have come from abroad have been a bit rubbish. The likes of Petrovic, Kalinic, Grella, Linganzi, van Heerden, Goulon, Formica, Rochina, and various youngsters who have since moved on.

The last decent players we signed from abroad for the first team were Santa Cruz in 2007, and McCarthy, Ooijer and Samba a year earlier

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:17 pm

Thanks Dan. I totally agree on the whole Rovers haven't had value for money regarding players who where born outside the British Isles. There has been the odd gem of course with Pedersen, Samba, Tugay, Santa Cruz (the first time around) and McCarthy. I just dont think Rovers have had a decent scouting set up abroad. Not that you need one these days what with the internet and global TV coverage. I am not asking for the next Messi or Ronaldo but the record shows Rovers have not benefited from overseas players like other championship clubs. Wigan and Bolton have both done better than Rovers in that respect so its not like they cannot be tempted to Lancashire. With the January window now open we will no doubt be linked to loans from the Premier league clubs and maybe the odd league one player. After writing all this i have realised we have a young player from Lithuania namely Vilius Piliukatis on loan. Rovers were meant to have beaten some Premier league clubs to his signature.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:00 am

Darth Rover wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:17 pm
After writing all this i have realised we have a young player from Lithuania namely Vilius Piliukatis on loan. Rovers were meant to have beaten some Premier league clubs to his signature.
Yeah, he sounds promising.