Rotherham v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 2 Mar 2019, KO 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

What does a rother ham taste like?

A bit gamey
30%
Like it was picked up from the ground from a fly by kestrel
No votes
Slow roasted over a fire by a gibbon
30%
Raised by the organic arable farmer down yonder
No votes
Given the golden touch by Igor Tudor's fanny pack
10%
Good enough to break out the good Nordic Bakeware
30%

Total votes: 10

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Re: Rotherham v Blackburn Rovers, Sat 2 Mar 2019, KO 15:00

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:07 pm

The 5-2-2-1 and 5-1-3-1 looked good during this match. Just a shame to not see what Lenihan can provide in that setup, otherwise it is showing the lack of depth we have been running with at centreback all season. We are using Nyambe as a 4th choice centreback, where he needs to be out right.

Rovers have given a lifeline to both Reading and Rotherham on their chase for survival. I am not sure if there's something there to be said, but that worries me that Rovers can't even get a draw out of those 2 matches. I feel the stress of this season will be off when we are safe from relegation.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:19 pm

Gonna get embroiled as an outsider in the relegation battle if we aren't careful...

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:37 pm

I’m not necessarily concerned about relegation, it’s just disappointing these catfish teams are showing life, and we aren’t. As the season goes along, you like to see your mid table team get at least a point vs a side in the RZ. We haven’t done that lately.

We have a chance to get points at home against Preston & Wigan. Need to make the most of it.

I don’t think the players are bad, or the alignments. There’s always better players out there we can go after in the off-season, I guess we just have to muddle through & make it to summer & hopefully gets a couple of players who can help us. We can always use a couple of good backs & a creative, attacking MF would be useful.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:29 pm

Mowbray sounds livid, some pretty pointed criticisms.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:24 pm

Were we outplayed, or unlucky?

I’m guessing if he was livid, there’s issues concerning effort.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:26 pm

He’s angry about our piss poor defending for all 3 goals. Lack of basics.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:47 pm

Officiating didn't help either. I would boil it down to lack of clinical finishing and defending.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Rovers need Lenihan back asap. The pairing of Mulgrew and Rodwell isnt working. Mowbray has been after Patrick Bauer from Charlton for quite a while now and is prepared to wait until the summer to get him. Trouble is he might have been better paying the 2 million Charlton wanted him last summer. Instead he paid 7 million of Brereton. One for the future of course but by the time he start scoring it might be another manager reaping the benefits.

bobbyoc
Promising youngster

Post by bobbyoc » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:09 am

Love Tony Mowbray, he has already met the expectations for this year (avoiding relegation) playoffs were never a realistic option. But defensively we need to be better and this was a clear issue we have had since the start of the season and even last year. Very surprising it wasn’t addressed in Jan. Mulgrew for a CM role anybody? He doesn’t seem massively comfortable at CB, especially under the high ball.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:01 pm

The reason why Rovers put in so many under par performances is quite simply lack of competition
We started the season with 27 squad members. Since then, Whittingham, Downing, Palmer, Tomlinson,and Caddis have left. Hart is out on loan, and Fisher is the third goalkeeper.
Samuel, Davenport and Gladwin all have long term injuries.
Simple arithmetic tells you that Mowbray has therefore a squad of only 17 to pick from- when they are all fit. Take a couple out because of injuries, and he'll be lucky to fill the bench.
That, imo, is the problem

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Chapman’s just come in and is nearly ready to start, and Davenport is putting in shifts for the reserves now too, so he must be close.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:53 pm

What worries me is bringing them back too soon. It seems that it shouldn't be a worry, but we saw what happened to Chapman last season.

zeffania
Promising youngster

Post by zeffania » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:18 pm

Chapman isn't going to stop the shower of **** at the back, just hoof it. Bell should have not waited for Raya, just clear it. I know that from football 101 when you were 6!

They defence seem so nervous and Mulgrew looks better going forward, Boro was a fine example. Stay up, be happy and get some defenders in asap. We know our attacking is good, well most of the time, but you cannot rely solely on them because we ship soo many slopey goals.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:26 pm

On a completely different issue but linked really to how not to seek success by over stretching a clubs finances. An interesting read about Derby County in today's media and losing £3 million a month. The bright lights of the premiership have proved too much of a temptation and the rumour is that if Frank Lampard cannot gain promotion this season then the owner will seek to sell the club. Derby are currently outside the play off places after three straight defeats. It is a gamble that looks not to be paying off. Rovers where in that position and it took Gary Bowyer most of his time as Rovers manager trying to get the big earning waste of space under achievers off the payroll. There is a lesson here and one Rovers have learned previously. The way Tony Mowbray does his business in the player market makes sense. The way the club is being run makes sense. Change that in the pursuit of the golden ticket of promotion may fail with major consequences namely League One football and the clubs finances in a mess. Rovers will be playing championship football next season i am sure and the hard work will be done to improve the squad over the summer. Conservatively rather than recklessly.

zeffania
Promising youngster

Post by zeffania » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Darth totally agree. I would like to think we are safe and pleased with what TM has done. The last 5 matches aren't a true picture of our season, but have made us look worse than we have been, dizzy heights after the great run in Jan.

Much happier we have reduced our wage bill, getting in players who want to play. Fingers crossed in the summer, we can get some more options at the back to play alongside Darrah and push Mulgrew to earning his spot. Sure up the defence and not have us panicking every week and we can start to push higher up the league. Still fairing better than our other promoted teams even if we don't seem to get so much joy playing them