Birthday Bash Boogaloo: Blackburn Rovers v Wigan Athletic, Tue 12 March 2019, KO 19:45

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

What should I do for my birthday?

Watch First Blood while Rovers draw first blood
14%
Let the Kestrels fly out and catch my dinner from the Cuyahoga River
14%
Fund the gibbons so they can roast some chestnuts over an open fire
No votes
Break out the Nordic Bakeware for this festive occasion
29%
Call up Igor Tudor and go out on a bender
No votes
Get back to my roots and till up some arable farmland
14%
Bust out the birthday suit
29%

Total votes: 7

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Birthday Bash Boogaloo: Blackburn Rovers v Wigan Athletic, Tue 12 March 2019, KO 19:45

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Once again, Kickoff could be off because America.

Going to have a blast watching this as it's my birthday. Hopefully a 3 points would be great.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Birthday Bash Boogaloo: Blackburn Rovers v Wigan Athletic, Tue 12 March 2019, KO 19:45

Post by mcteeth » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:10 am

A very winnable game and I feel like we owe Wigan one. Didn’t beat them last season and we were woeful in the away game this season.

We also really need to stop the rot and get a win, just a shame we’ve got no defenders.

Magloire will be in the matchday squad but not sure he’ll start. Although there’s an argument to say he should given that Nyambe is very much a makeshift centre back.

Mowbray has talked about want to keep the ball in the opposition half and away from our defence so we need good ball players, so Rothwell really should start. I’d like to see this:

—————————Raya
Bennett Nyambe Williams Bell
Rothwell Reed Travis Armstrong
—————————Dack
————————Graham

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Re: Birthday Bash Boogaloo: Blackburn Rovers v Wigan Athletic, Tue 12 March 2019, KO 19:45

Post by RoverthePennines » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:14 am

Am I wrong in thinking Nyambe has actually played centre back quite a lot though as an Academy player? I mean the only attribute he really has for being on the right is speed, because he can’t really cross and he’s not a natural dribbler.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:53 am

While we’re drafting in Magloire from the U23’s, I’d start him AND draft in his CB partner and start him alongside. They clearly have a well formed partnership already.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:59 am

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:53 am
While we’re drafting in Magloire from the U23’s, I’d start him AND draft in his CB partner and start him alongside. They clearly have a well formed partnership already.
Yeah I kind of agree with that logic. Round pegs in round holes.

Nyambe and Williams aren’t small but think we’ll be even more vulnerable to aerial balls and Wigan wanting to make things a physical battle. Which they’ve done to us before.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Today is a great day to score points, and end the heartache of the recent past. I believe we were close to getting our mojo back v. Preston... methinks we will be get it all the way back today.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:07 pm

I like Nyambe -he has the ability to overlap with Bennet and beat a defender.
I like the idea of playing the two young centre halves -Williams is very much a stop gap for us- he's too slow to play full back, as was demonstrated against Preston, he certainly cost us two points. I feel the same about Evans, fine as a back up midfielder but I 'd expect a goal a least once in four years. I prefer Smallwood, but neither of them has the flare of Rothwell, Travis, or Reed.
Another three points should give Mowbray the opportunity to blood all the young talent, especially when Rodwell and Lenihan are back.
I'll be disappointed if we don't get a win tonight.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:13 pm
Once again, Kickoff could be off because America.

Going to have a blast watching this as it's my birthday. Hopefully a 3 points would be great.
Thor,
I am earnestly wishing you a happy birthday, & hoping your BD wish comes true.

Mine was March the 7th, & I didn’t get the result I anticipated. I hope you do, & puts our season back on the right track!

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Thank you Waco, happy belated birthday to you, and I hope that a result happens for us that reside in the best birthday month of all the months.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:32 pm

You dont win anything with kids...has famously said by former Liverpool defender Alan Hansen on the then emerging Man Utd team of the 90's. Those of us of a certain age can remember further back than that and two young Rovers defenders brought into the team due to an injury hit squad. I refer to Keith Hill and David May who both arrived at Rovers when money was more scarce than Rocking horse shit. They both made such an impression when given their chance that then Rovers keeper Terry Gennoe stated that both of them would play for England. Well Hill went to Plymouth but David May ended up with a very impressive trophy cabinet after spending nine years at Man Utd and only played 85 times. So Rovers current defensive injury problems may not actually be a problem. They may be an opportunity for our very promising young players should Tony Mowbray give them a chance. I am that old i actually remember seeing Tony Mowbray line up for Middlesboro alongside Gary Pallister and former Rover Stuart Ripley.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Darth,
Yeah, I always believe going with youth is the best long-term policy, if the core is a solid, talented group of guys. Then add bits & pieces to fill in the squad.

We’ve got some solid young players. I’m sure when Brereton was added, our people were saying, “ when he develops, not if.” That may still happen, who knows.

I take Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis, Armstrong, Chapman, Rothwell, etc., give ‘em playing time, & hopefully, things start going our way & we get a winner. I’m glad that to date Rovers under TM haven’t thrown tons of cash at has-been’s, play-out’s, and never-were’s.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:50 pm

Raya
Nyambe-Magloire-Williams
Bennett-Reed-Travis-Bell
Dack-Graham-Armstrong

Magloire getting his first start. I am really pumped about this.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:43 pm

I have to say, I have a lot of confidence in this match tonight. I know Williams is not the best fit anymore, but having a youngster like Magloire in the line-up really excites me. The last time we had a youngster like this in the starting 11 was Joe Grayson, and we really brought it to Bournemouth that match.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:45 pm

Thor,
Exciting stuff! At this point, I graciously except youthful enthusiasm, & possible mistakes, for the long-term good. Let’s get it started!

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:11 pm

Looking like Bell will be coming off soon, looks to pick up a lower back injury from a challenge.