Williams told.. we don't spend anymoney in the deadline

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
sniper0724
New signing

Williams told.. we don't spend anymoney in the deadline

Post by sniper0724 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:46 pm

Williams told the Lancashire Evening Telegraph:

"We haven't got a huge budget, and I'm not ashamed to admit that, so any money we do spend has to be spent very wisely.

"Thankfully, we are not in a position where we have to panic buy, and Mark has said all along that any signings we do make will have to be good to get into our first eleven.

"There's a long-term midfield target we are still pursuing. We tried to get him out in January but his club were unwilling to sell, so we'll have to wait until the summer on that one now.

"We were also working on a striker but that won't be happening now either for similar reasons.

"So I don't expect to do any deals before the deadline, unless an opportunity suddenly presents itself that's too good to miss."

---
O M G..

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Williams told.. we don't spend anymoney in the deadline

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:57 pm

There seems to be a train of thought that we must buy players regardless of whether it actually benefits the club. Every signing should improve us in some way. There's no point in signing anyone who isn't going to get into our team, we may as well use youth players in emergency situations.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:00 pm

Shall I repeat the shit coffee analogy? No, can't be arsed.

sniper0724
New signing

Post by sniper0724 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:29 pm

I think that still need some player, but your speech seems to be right..

I get angry as only Williams does not spend little money :x

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:39 pm

Don't get angry at Williams, he's doing an excellent job in running the club. We don't spend money we don't have, and yet remain competitive. Most of the money spent in the transfer window has been by clubs trying to survive, gambling that they'll get their money back by escaping relegation. The three teams that go down will have major problems. And as one of the poorest sides in the PL, we take a more measured approach, taking time to scout and trial players, and making sure we get value for money. As a result, we have an excellent squad and the club itself can start making money now we get more from TV deals.

sniper0724
New signing

Post by sniper0724 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:39 pm

oh..

In fact, most of fans about 300 people in the Korea do not like him because of same reason

We do not know local situations ...
In addition, Blackburn Rovers is not famous club in the Korea
Many people like rich club such as Man UTD, Liverfool, and Chelsea
So, rovers supporters in the Korea wants that Rovers grows rapidly
Korean supporters(include me :) ) expected that take good player such as Valery Domopchiski(correct spel?), Kumas, and sidwel, however, it failed
we are disappointed :cry:

Anyway thank you for good explanation
I will explain to them.
And.. I will visit often here!

ps. maybe.. this post do not fully understand? I cant believe my English composition ability :cry:

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:43 pm

you're better than you think ;)

Gouldy
Valued squad member

Post by Gouldy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:47 pm

No point in just spending money for the sake of it. If we did go out and buy someone for the sake of it, then they are shit, they just become deadwood in the squad who we are payin thousands of pounds a week and probably would get little to no sell on value. I'd rather take the time and find someone who is a good price and will give us something that we dont already have in the squad

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:57 pm

Wierd that managers who spend money on players who turn out to be rubbish and do nothing but sink a team lower, get nothing like the stick of a manger who buys nothing and the players they already have fail to improve.

I'm very glad we haven't bought any of the polished turds we've been linked to this transfer window... even happier to think that its because we already know who we want and are lining them up for next season.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:13 pm

sniper0724 wrote: Korean supporters(include me :) ) expected that take good player such as Valery Domopchiski(correct spel?), Kumas, and sidwel, however, it failed
we are disappointed :cry:
Domovchiyski didn't impress after having a lengthy trial here, we withdrew our interest because he wouldn't make the first team.
Koumas is a tried and failed PL player at two clubs now. Even the Dunn/Reid haters must admit they're better players than Koumas.
And Sidwell was a crazy suggestion for so many reasons, I don't know why anyone thought he'd leave Chelsea when they signed him to play during ACN.

We have a quality squad, but it's unreasonable to think we could compete with the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea. They have some of the richest people in the world funding them, as well as generating huge amounts of money from having larger fanbases and consistent qualification for the CL. Rovers are backed by a trust set up to run the club as the late Jack Walker wished. However, we use most of our money to pay PL-level wages to our top players, after that there's little left to be spent on transfers, and no one is prepared to donate tens of millions to us to allow us to sign big name players. But it's not bad when we can still bring in brilliant players like McCarthy, Santa Cruz and Bentley.

tomthebodz
Regular international

Post by tomthebodz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:00 pm

Although I am disapointed that we won't be signing any players, how can play in the first team. I'd vastly prefer to have the team stay as it is than have a possible spanner thrown in the works by signing a player who does not fit in. Mark Hughes is sensible when it comes to signing players. I have faith in him.

Look at where we are in the league. We can still have champions league within reach, when the team above us and around us a considerably richer than be are.

We do need to sign at least one centre mid just for cover. Maybe just loan a player or something

blackburn35
Promising youngster

Post by blackburn35 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:20 pm

can someone explain to me who has ownership of the rovers and who is the money bags? i am a little fuzzy on this. sorry if the question is stupid. :oops:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 pm

blackburn35 wrote:can someone explain to me who has ownership of the rovers and who is the money bags? i am a little fuzzy on this. sorry if the question is stupid. :oops:
It's very complicated, and there's plenty of Rovers fans who can't even understand the basics. The situation as I understand it is: Jack Walker took control of the club in the late 80s. He'd made his fortune selling his company, WalkerSteel, and decided to use his money to save the club he'd supported all his lide from relegation in what is now known as the Championship, and try to turn us into one of the best teams in the country. Like Roman Abramovic at Chelsea, but on a smaller scale, he funded the transfers that turned us into league champions by 1995, but Rovers were unable to build on that success and were relegated in 1999. Sadly, Jack died in 2000, but the club bounced back and got promoted in 2000.

However, there's a lot of mystery and confusion as to who now owns the club. My understanding is that no one really does - it's left to a trust assigned to manage Jack's legacy. No one seems to know who is responsible for overseeing the trust, but it's common knowledge that they use monies from Jack's personal fortune to balance the books and make sure the club gets a fixed revenue each year. In some ways it's good for the club - the board can run things without pressure from a 'money man' interfering with their jobs. But we don't have anyone able to authorise a cheque for £5m for a new player, we need to have the money available to spend, like an ordinary business would. So we're currently at a dsadvantage financially, compared with other clubs who have rich owners spending their pocket money on their teams.

I'm sure streakyb and Rover the Moon will be able to add more details.

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:38 am

Rover the Top wrote:
blackburn35 wrote:can someone explain to me who has ownership of the rovers and who is the money bags? i am a little fuzzy on this. sorry if the question is stupid. :oops:
It's very complicated, and there's plenty of Rovers fans who can't even understand the basics. The situation as I understand it is: Jack Walker took control of the club in the late 80s. He'd made his fortune selling his company, WalkerSteel, and decided to use his money to save the club he'd supported all his lide from relegation in what is now known as the Championship, and try to turn us into one of the best teams in the country. Like Roman Abramovic at Chelsea, but on a smaller scale, he funded the transfers that turned us into league champions by 1995, but Rovers were unable to build on that success and were relegated in 1999. Sadly, Jack died in 2000, but the club bounced back and got promoted in 2000.

However, there's a lot of mystery and confusion as to who now owns the club. My understanding is that no one really does - it's left to a trust assigned to manage Jack's legacy. No one seems to know who is responsible for overseeing the trust, but it's common knowledge that they use monies from Jack's personal fortune to balance the books and make sure the club gets a fixed revenue each year. In some ways it's good for the club - the board can run things without pressure from a 'money man' interfering with their jobs. But we don't have anyone able to authorise a cheque for £5m for a new player, we need to have the money available to spend, like an ordinary business would. So we're currently at a dsadvantage financially, compared with other clubs who have rich owners spending their pocket money on their teams.

I'm sure streakyb and Rover the Moon will be able to add more details.
The trust who control the clubs finances is made up of a group of lawyers, financial advisers and members of the late Jack Walker's family. Jack set up the trustees to ensure the continued stability of the club once he passed away. I think the trust was set up in the 6 months before Jack Walker died, and he selected most of the members himself, knowing he didn't have much time left. There is a pot of money which he assigned to the club, which it can draw on for transfers and other things, but obviously that pot of money is not infinite, and as such the club use a certain amount of it each year to ensure the stability and growth of the club.

As to the ownership of the club - 99% of it is the name of the Walker Trust, but that really means the Walker family. I think Ross Walker sits on the trust, and represents the family's interests but I wouldn't be surprised if more family members have a large say as well.