Mahoney.

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
Darth Rover
Ageing international

Re: Mahoney.

Post by Darth Rover » Wed May 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Just been catching up with how Connor Mahoney is getting on. Of course signed by Bournemouth but then loaned out to Barnsley who could end up in League One after this weekends fixtures. He hasnt really made much of an impression in Yorkshire. He is still only young and plenty of time to make his name in the game but you cant help feel his time would have been better spent at Rovers this season. We are short of wingers and maybe if he doesnt figure in Bournemouths plans for next season he could come to Rovers for six months and see how it goes.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu May 03, 2018 1:35 am

He left on a sour note to not extend his contract here. I would like to see if he still has that potential everyone saw in him, but he would need to work for it. With only 2 starts, 5 sub appearances in 45 matches with a rather poor showing from the rest of the club leads me to believe one of two things: They don't really see the talent or he is out of favor.

I would like to see him come back and put some effort in, but now he is on a fat contract and I would hate to invest time into players from bigger clubs that can't even break into the starting lineup on a bottom tier Championship club.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu May 03, 2018 8:33 am

interesting one... not just mahoney who obviously has real talent... but wondering whether there is becoming a general rule that developing young players is better outside the championship. Obviously the top talents will stay in the top leagues in europe... but for greener players I wonder whether an ultra competitive and very monied league like the championship is a good environment for a player yet to fully develop physically or still to iron out mistakes from their game.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu May 03, 2018 12:59 pm

Feels like a non-starter to me, we couldn't compete with whatever wages he is on at Bournemouth I suspect given they're a Premier League club, but that doesn't rule out the option of a loan to us if we were interested and would work in Bournemouth's favour to see him go back to a club he knows where he would be given game time.

But in all honesty I'd rather we focused our attentions on Chapman who plays in the same position and actually wants to play for us...

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu May 03, 2018 4:43 pm

Mahoney wasn't even proved to be any kind of finished article. And, it would appear, that he simply isn't all what people wanted him to be....

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Fri May 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Interesting comments...i agree that the championship can be a real maker or breaker of a young footballers career. Get it wrong and a young player could be moved on from his cushy number in the premiership and all of a sudden be lucky to make the first eleven in a league one/two team. Maybe its too much too young. Does Mahoney have the will and like Blackbat states is he has good as maybe many Rovers fans hoped. I see Eddie Howe taking a look at him again preseason and hopefully for Connor next season for him will be better than this season. He did leave Rovers on a sour note yes but if Bournemouth look to loan him out where better than to get his career moving forward than returning to familiar ground. If he doesnt get his career moving forward that familiar ground might be Accrington Stanley.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Wed May 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Looks like compensation is good enough for rovers.

425k payment
100k for every 10 appearances he makes up to max 500k.
250k if he makes a senior England appearance
20% of any profit Bournemouth make when selling.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 pm

I think it was a good amount of compensation considering everything. Sure, probably could have gotten more but I think that's fair.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu May 17, 2018 7:54 am

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 pm
I think it was a good amount of compensation considering everything. Sure, probably could have gotten more but I think that's fair.
How could we have got more?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 17, 2018 8:03 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:54 am
Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 pm
How could we have got more?
Obtaining compromising photos of the tribunal panel?

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu May 17, 2018 3:06 pm

I mean in terms of possibly selling him. But I think this is a better deal with the 20% sell on clause.