Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Post by Ethiaa » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:49 am

That's a lot of money for a team just up from league 1. Applies big expectations especially when it will inevitably be compared with Armstrong. I'm a little dubious.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:59 am

Agreed. It would equal our club record transfer of £8m for Rhodes who at the time had scored around 40 goals a season for 3 years prior to us signing.

Brereton is clearly an exciting young prospect but surely the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:09 am

Forking out millions on an unproven player who isnt even considered for his present club starting line up is questionable. Fortunately the permanent transfer window is closed. If Tony Mowbray insists on Brereton being a target then the better option would be a loan with an option to buy in January at an agreed price. If he doesnt perform in that time then he goes back to Forest.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:19 pm

I guess the concern is that Brereton isn’t ins in Karanka’s plans so happy for him to leave but the reason it’s taking a while is this whole ‘loan to buy’ type agreements. So he can come to us but if we agree a permanent fee for January around the £8m mark.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:12 pm

That number is concerning as well. I think Rovers can get in some proven players for that price mark. There is something to be said about ability now and growth of a player. Right now, he might be good, but he has a lot of growing to do to reach that valuation. I understand the potential he has, but I personally think Rovers should be looking elsewhere if he can't perform up to that Jordan Rhodes expectation of creating or scoring goals.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:29 pm

We’re in the mixer for Cameron Jerome apparently :?

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:37 pm

I’m not sure how to receive that news. On one hand, like Danny Graham, outside of the premiership, Cameron Jerome can score goals.
On the other hand, he’s Cameron Jerome.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Only a year younger than Graham, I would pass.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:47 am

I’m not convinced we’re in for him anyway, though I think he’s a decent player, we seem to be targeting younger players with re-sale value.

It smells of an agent trying to drum up interest.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:57 am

Jason Puncheon linked now. I guess if Mowbray feels he needs to add depth to the squad, there could be sonething in this and the Cameron Jerome rumours.

I’m still convinced we’ll try to add young players with re-sale value where possible, but if those fall through I reckon we could well see a few older players come in on short term loans until January.

If the Brereton deal falls through, I’d rather we looked at soneone like Tammy Abraham though. I think he’s available and even though there’d probably be zero chance of an option to buy, I think he’d be brilliant linking up with Dack and Palmer.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:26 am

Well Mowbray made some interesting comments yesterday without being specific to potential deals. Essentially saying he's frustrated that our interest in x player becomes public and the clubs we're trying to do deals with keeping coming back wanting more money. You'd imagine that may well be the case with Forest and Brereton where we're clearly very interested and they're just wanting more and more money. He goes on to say that we're now looking at other targets.

Jerome has a semi decent scoring record across various spells in the Championship and on a season long deal I think it would be good business. He doesn't fit the usual type of player we've been bringing in but essentially what we need is a couple more squad options in attack. Jerome will bring some power and pace along with bad finishing so what's not to like, he'll be our Jason Roberts 2.0 :hyper:

Puncheon is also 32 but I think he's a good player so would again welcome him to come in on a say a season long deal.

I really do hope we're trying to get hold of Gallagher from Southampton.
Last edited by mcteeth on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:24 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:26 am
Well Mowbray made some interesting comments yesterday without being specific to potential deals. Essentially saying he's frustrated that our interest in x player becomes public and the clubs we're trying to do deals with keeping coming back wanting more money. You'd imagine that may well be the case with Forest and Brereton where we're clearly very interested and they're just wanting more and more money. He goes on to say that we're now looking at other targets.
Yeah, I read that, but, to me at least, it came across as a warning to the clubs we're haggling with as much as anything.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Yeah could well be.

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be dealing with football agents.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:47 pm

This is sounding more and more like the Brexit negotiations.
Frankly, with the squad we've got, and bearing in mind there is another window in December, I would be inclined to tell the clubs that are asking for £8 millions to stick it where the sun doesn't shine and carry on with the excellent squad we've got.
Incidentally I see we're prepared to unload Whittingham and Caddis. The former can go with me, but I quite liked Caddis when he came on.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:54 am

Mowbray talks about maybe offering Jack Rodwell a chance and dismisses links with Anichebe. Also mentioned; Harrison Reed from Southampton.
Mowbray wrote:I hope tomorrow (Thursday) we've got a couple of announcements to make and then we need players in the forward area to help us and are working hard on that as well,” Mowbray said.
Which suggests no immediate movement on Brereton (if we ever manage that one.)