No clauses.

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

No clauses.

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 10, 2007 10:12 am

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002 ... 10,00.html
Sparky added: \"He’s not getting sold — there are no clauses in contracts this year.\"

streakyb
Valued squad member

Post by streakyb » Thu May 10, 2007 10:24 am

Does the \"this year\" mean that there are next year? :scratch:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 10, 2007 10:34 am

streakyb wrote:Does the "this year" mean that there are next year? :scratch:
It doesn't exclude the possibility that some may be written into contracts over the summer, you're heading into Vinjay's territory if you're going to start holding him accountable for not accurately predicting the future... :wink:

But I'm pretty sure it meant 'this year, as opposed to last year'. :scratch: And I believe him, lying would be fatal and he'll know that.

Head Rover Heels
Valued squad member

Post by Head Rover Heels » Thu May 10, 2007 11:04 am

I'd go for the \"as opposed to last year\". But it's also possible that there are clauses that are dormant for the time being.

(Eg, possible that Benni agreed to two years of a four year, after that he's available for... etc)

I'm following the \"As opposed..\" idea though myself - Like you say, it'd be madness to tell a blatent lie about it after what happened last year.

McRover
New signing

Post by McRover » Thu May 10, 2007 1:11 pm

I am pleased to here that there are no clauses in his contract (albeit for this year) as we got screwed with Bellamys.

However I still worry as to whether or not he will still be a rovers player next season. I don't for a minute think Benni will be the instigator of a move, but if someone comes in with say a £10m + bid it is going to be hard for the club to turn its back on it.

We have all seen it before when decent bids for our top players have come in, I just hope the board have the steel to say not for sale, should it happen again.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 10, 2007 1:18 pm

McRover wrote: We have all seen it before when decent bids for our top players have come in, I just hope the board have the steel to say not for sale, should it happen again.
Since Jack Walker died, I don't recall us selling off anyone because we got a 'too good to refuse' offer.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re:

Post by mrblackbat » Thu May 10, 2007 1:19 pm

McRover wrote:I am pleased to here that there are no clauses in his contract (albeit for this year) as we got screwed with Bellamys.

However I still worry as to whether or not he will still be a rovers player next season. I don't for a minute think Benni will be the instigator of a move, but if someone comes in with say a £10m + bid it is going to be hard for the club to turn its back on it.

We have all seen it before when decent bids for our top players have come in, I just hope the board have the steel to say not for sale, should it happen again.
Not really. Firstly, we didn't really get screwed by Bellamy's release clause - we got a lot of very good football out of him, and more money than we paid for him.

Secondly, I can't actually think of when we let one of our high profile players go for less than we said was required. Shearer went for the required £15m, Duff for £17m etc.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 10, 2007 1:27 pm

mrblackbat wrote: Secondly, I can't actually think of when we let one of our high profile players go for less than we said was required. Shearer went for the required £15m, Duff for £17m etc.
Hmm, in the case of Shearer, Sherwood, Berg, Le Saux, etc we sold them for the money, not because we had to. We've been far more reluctant since, though - as shown by the fact we kept hold of everyone bar Bellamy last summer.

McRover
New signing

Post by McRover » Thu May 10, 2007 1:32 pm

I still think £6m was a bargain for liverpool, without the clause we could have demanded a lot more for him.

Even though teams met our estimations for players in the past, why are we even giving them this option, we should simply be saying not for sale, at any price.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re:

Post by mrblackbat » Thu May 10, 2007 1:37 pm

McRover wrote:I still think £6m was a bargain for liverpool, without the clause we could have demanded a lot more for him.

Even though teams met our estimations for players in the past, why are we even giving them this option, we should simply be saying not for sale, at any price.
But we wouldn't have got him to play for us without the clause - it's a catch 22 situation. I'm happy we signed him, I'm happy he played well for us (he might not have done), and whilst not happy that we sold him on, I have no regrets that we did as I'm sure that he would never have signed for us without that clause.

So, tell me - if someone offered way over the odds for your house, like ridiculously over the odds, would you sell it? It might be considered essential right now, but you could quite easily replace it with the money earned.

Rovers are a business as well as a club; selling a high profile player for a ludicrous amount of money can help ensure the books balance without worrying about it. Plus, with the likes of McCarthy, Nelsen, Samba, Bentley etc we've shown that we have the scouting to pull in class players for next to nothing.

And to top it off, Hughes has said in the article above that we won't be selling our top players.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 10, 2007 1:41 pm

McRover wrote:I still think £6m was a bargain for liverpool, without the clause we could have demanded a lot more for him.
Without the clause, we wouldn't have signed him for £3.5m either. We wouldn't have signed him at any price. But, one European campaign and £3m profit was what we got out of the deal, we haven't missed the temperamental dwarf, so it was good business.
You'll have to ask Jack Walker, he was the one who let them go. Like I say, the current board have learned from those mistakes, we haven't sold anyone through greed since coming back up.

McRover
New signing

Re:

Post by McRover » Thu May 10, 2007 2:08 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Rovers are a business as well as a club; selling a high profile player for a ludicrous amount of money can help ensure the books balance without worrying about it. Plus, with the likes of McCarthy, Nelsen, Samba, Bentley etc we've shown that we have the scouting to pull in class players for next to nothing.

And to top it off, Hughes has said in the article above that we won't be selling our top players.
I don't disagree with what you say, first a for most the financial security of the club is priority, but surely there comes a time where we have to take a risk. Like you say our scouting team are doing a tremendous job, If we can match this by keeping our top players surely its a combination for the club to go on that extra step?

And If what Hughes says, proves to be correct this could be that risk

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by doz_magic_man » Thu May 10, 2007 2:47 pm

Rover the Top wrote:It doesn't exclude the possibility that some may be written into contracts over the summer

You can't add terms to a contract once it's been signed, McCarthy would have to sign a new deal for such a scenario to take effect. I think it's safe to say that, unless we get a silly offer, McCarthy is staying for next season at least. Hughes never once vehemently denied the existence of a clause in Bellamy's contract after all, wheras with McCarthy he has.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 10, 2007 3:07 pm

doz_magic_man wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:It doesn't exclude the possibility that some may be written into contracts over the summer

You can't add terms to a contract once it's been signed,
You seriously think I don't know that? :clonk: Clearly, Hughes was referring to all existing contracts, not just McCarthy's. eg there's been rumours that Pedersen had a clause - the quote above denies that too. But, I'll be amazed if we go through the summer without anyone signing a contract with us... :wink:
McCarthy would have to sign a new deal for such a scenario to take effect. I think it's safe to say that, unless we get a silly offer, McCarthy is staying for next season at least. Hughes never once vehemently denied the existence of a clause in Bellamy's contract after all, wheras with McCarthy he has.
Yup.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re:

Post by mrblackbat » Thu May 10, 2007 3:08 pm

doz_magic_man wrote:

You can't add terms to a contract once it's been signed, McCarthy would have to sign a new deal for such a scenario to take effect. I think it's safe to say that, unless we get a silly offer, McCarthy is staying for next season at least. Hughes never once vehemently denied the existence of a clause in Bellamy's contract after all, wheras with McCarthy he has.
He never mentioned altering a current contract.... :roll: