The only club with NO transfers yet.

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
tomthebodz
Regular international

The only club with NO transfers yet.

Post by tomthebodz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:44 am

I have to say I find it odd that we are the only Premier League club who have not done any transfer deals yet.
We have been quite slow off the mark. I mean Tuncay was on a free, why did we not try to sign him - he's a good enough player.

Your thoughts?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:48 am

shockingly enough the iminent takeover of our club is probably the reason.

if you were hughes with a hypothetical bidet of 8million pounds... why spend it now when there is a possibility of another 10million round the corner... plus whats the rush, season doesn't start next week

streakyb
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by streakyb » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:49 am

theadore wrote:shockingly enough the iminent takeover of our club is probably the reason.
Ot the fact that we are in no desperate rush to buy expensive mediocrity like most of teh premiership ahve.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:08 am

Plus I don't think we'll sign Bellamy until Liverpool get a Torres or some such as a replacement.

And if we don't get extra funds from a takeover, I doubt we'll blow what would likely be our entire budget on one player.

I think Hughes is (as always) being very cunning in the market and trying to bring exactly the right quality players in rather than squad players.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: The only club with NO transfers yet.

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:17 am

tomthebodz wrote:I have to say I find it odd that we are the only Premier League club who have not done any transfer deals yet.
I find it particularly strange as we are not the only club... Aston Villa, Derby, Everton, Fulham and Man City haven't signed anyone yet either... :roll:

ladyRoverbabe
New signing

Post by ladyRoverbabe » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:27 am

I don´t really find it odd. Same as last year there is little speculation linking us with players. I think that is fine. I am sure that Hughes has his eye on someone, but we will not know until the player is presented. I like it that way. It is better than a lot of names popping up every day... Also, do we really need that many players? As far as I can see there should only be a few back up players brought in.

brfcw
New signing

Post by brfcw » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:56 am

Rover the Top wrote:
tomthebodz wrote:I have to say I find it odd that we are the only Premier League club who have not done any transfer deals yet.
I find it particularly strange as we are not the only club... Aston Villa, Derby, Everton, Fulham and Man City haven't signed anyone yet either... :roll:
I think he meant buying AND selling. Which in that case would leave us and derby

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:58 am

Either way does it matter?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:02 am

brfcw wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
I think he meant buying AND selling. Which in that case would leave us and derby
Who have Everton and Fulham sold?

Unless one of our targets goes elsewhere before we can sign them, it doesn't really matter what business is done by other clubs.

Pete
New signing

Re:

Post by Pete » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:01 pm

Gibbon wrote:Plus I don't think we'll sign Bellamy until Liverpool get a Torres or some such as a replacement.

And if we don't get extra funds from a takeover, I doubt we'll blow what would likely be our entire budget on one player.

I think Hughes is (as always) being very cunning in the market and trying to bring exactly the right quality players in rather than squad players.
What about bruno berner?? franny jeffers??

apart from a couple of dodgy ones Hughes has been fantastic in the transfer market. Look at Bellamy, McCarthy, Roberts, savage, nelsen etc. i am not concerned that no signings have been made yet, i am sure that we will get someone soon.

Also if you think about it we will have some "new" signings next season as the old cliche goes. Oojier, Reid, Savage, etc are still to come back.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:59 am

Why do people think Berner was a bad signing? He cost us pittance and is just a backup player for if our first choice gets injured. He's as good as the other backup we had at the time (McEveley) who we sold for a job lot more than we bought Berner for. Excellent business, in my opinion.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:11 am

mrblackbat wrote:Why do people think Berner was a bad signing? He cost us pittance and is just a backup player for if our first choice gets injured. He's as good as the other backup we had at the time (McEveley) who we sold for a job lot more than we bought Berner for. Excellent business, in my opinion.
Let's analyse what was said there:
Pete wrote:
Gibbon wrote:
What about bruno berner??
:scratch: :whistle:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re:

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:14 am

Rover the Top wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:Why do people think Berner was a bad signing? He cost us pittance and is just a backup player for if our first choice gets injured. He's as good as the other backup we had at the time (McEveley) who we sold for a job lot more than we bought Berner for. Excellent business, in my opinion.
Pete wrote:
Gibbon wrote:
fair play.

DunnFC
Regular international

Post by DunnFC » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:06 am

sparkys words were thathe brought him in to compete with warnock and gamst down the left hans side as hes versatile. cmon he isnt that bad either for 20k.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Re:

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:20 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Pete wrote:
Gibbon wrote:
On track record I'd be inclined to give Hughes the benefit of the doubt and say he signed Berner with the view that he could compete for a place in the first team. Especially with the problems we were having filling the left back slot. It hasn't quite worked out for him and with Warnock and Pederson fit is unlikely to do so, but who knows how good he is or could become if he had a run in the first team. He hasn't looked that bad the little we've seen of him.

But yeah for the moment he's one of Hughes relatively unknown signings that has actually become a squad player.