Another (very dubious) rumour - Eddie Johnson?

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
Head Rover Heels
Valued squad member

Another (very dubious) rumour - Eddie Johnson?

Post by Head Rover Heels » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:44 pm

So, the US press mention us in this one too

Eddie Johnson possible move to Blackburn

Maybe this is a back up for if Santa Cruz falls through, or maybe it's a \"win - win\" opportunity.

I know the bloke was over here training with Reading a while back, and has scored 8 goals in the last 8 internationals. at 3.6M dollars it wouldn't exactly be a bank breaker for a 23 year old.

Dunno - Know little about the lad myself.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:46 pm

From what I've seen of him, he reminds me of the likes of Marlon Harewood. Battle axe forward type. Though I haven't seen much.

Impeccable international record, but you have to take into account the opposition....

Head Rover Heels
Valued squad member

Post by Head Rover Heels » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:58 pm

Hmm, good point - His last 11 international goals :-

El Salvador
Panama
Panama
Panama
Jamaica
Trinidad and Tobago
Honduras
Guatemala
Guatemala
Trinidad and Tobago
Argentina

Mind you, Peter Crouch makes a living out of it :whistle:

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:53 pm

Eddie Johnson I gather is apparently \"the\" best striker in the MLS at this time. He has a lot of promise and as already stated he has a lot of upside... his age, value and ability all seem to point towards one of those \"Hughes\" signings.

I believe we'll be seeing a lot more of him on Wednesday evenings now that Five have their MLS soccer show (well pisstake, they go out of their way to mock the US game).

Tell you one thing though... Duane De Rosario... remember that name? Well he's now playing for Houston, the current best side in the MLS, and he is STILL scoring countless stunning goals. I was surprised to see we didn't have a punt on him. He seems a fairly creative attacking midfielder.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:55 pm

I won't be seeing anymore of him, cause I doubt I'll be watching MLS.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:03 pm

I think that this could be a good punt for us.

But more than that, I really think that we should look towards an american contact for the club... With an american investment looming and a high profile american player already on the books (not to mention any regard for a certain centre back - or am i clutching at straws) we could look into a similar arrangement with an american club that we have with cerle.... I am buying into the idea that its only a matter of time before america produces a few top drawer players... might be nice to have first option on one of them.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:05 pm

I'm not convinced on that front. I think the major athletes in the US will always choose other sports ahead of football. Football will continue to get the dregs.....

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:10 pm

Nah, they'll take one look at David Beckham, and think \"Fuck, he gets paid how much for just kicking a ball about a bit...\"

Of course, this will just mean that America's top sportsmen will all be lazy arses, but at least we'll be able to beat them at tennis. :scratch:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:12 pm

Yes, but they'll also look at baseball, american football and basketball and think, \"look how many people get paid how much for....\" etc.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:16 pm

i really think after the way american football is at the moment 'soccer' is starting to look a lot more attractive.... the game is already played at school level in comprable numbers but isn't picked up by the college system.

the NFL is the only real competitor... baseball and basketball attract different people and ice hockey is played by overpaid russians and czechs instead of americans

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:17 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Yes, but they'll also look at baseball, american football and basketball and think, "look how many people get paid how much for...." etc.
Yeah, but aren't the players who are good at those sports doing something? ;)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:18 pm

Hmm, I don't think it'll take off much still. Much like how NFL got pulled from Europe this year. I can't see MLS becoming huge for a long while, you just have to look at the lack of support it receives.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:24 pm

NFL Europa got pulled, sure, BUT there is already rumour and speculation that they will be expanding the NFL proper to incorporate teams from Mexico, Canada, Asia and Britain (No German or Dutch team mentioned... which is surprising considering it did have genuine popularity over in Holland and Germany, with the entire NFL Europa being played in those countries in recent years.

Octobers game at Wembley will be a crucial point for American Football over here, in Europe and even in the states. American's revel in the fact that football is \"America's game\" and pretty soon that could be watered down a bit! :-D

On a side note American Football has recently been accepted by the government as a rising sport in this country, it can now be made part of school curriculum (although in 6th form theory I believe it is already taught in the classroom) and funding can now be claimed by the BAFL board to open youth teams and expand current teams. So it could do what most people, even me deep down, think and become a current trend or a fad before fading into obscurity again... or it could blossom... despite the \"rugby\" comparison most uninitiated types use... its so much different.

On the subject of the MLS, I believe it has a achilles heel that is always going to hold it back as the rest of the world's game improves... its called the salary cap. American can't operate a salary cap and trade/draft system in their league when the rest of the world operates a completely different set up.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:35 pm

I don't think NFL will get any real local support - anybody who watches it will watch the actual NFL; much like most Americans who watch football support Manure.....

bc rovers
New signing

Post by bc rovers » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:45 pm

I can tell you a bit about Eddie Johnson. He's got a lot of talent, but he's one of the more infuriatingly inconsistent American national players. Every now and then he will make an outstanding play, like he did getting behind the defense early in the Copa America match against Argentina that resulted in a goal on a PK. However, the vast majority of the time his decision making is baffling. He will sometimes refuse to just shoot and instead squander a wonderful opportunity or just lose possession altogether. Pretty much another case of the American inability to groom a world-class finisher.

Like I said, he's got talent. But so far it's only come out against CONCACAF and that PK against the sky blues. 23 is getting a bit up on the years on a relatively unproven project. I'd love him to get some experience playing against excellent competition but despite that talent I feel that his finishing ability as is would be better left to a League Championship team. He'd probably languish on the bench on any top half premiership team.