Another (very dubious) rumour - Eddie Johnson?

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
bc rovers
New signing

Post by bc rovers » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:56 pm

I kind of looked back a bit too. Many people over here don't consider soccer to be on par with the NFL and major leagues because they don't know enough about it. Adults here grew up playing baseball and American football and know how much of it comes from God-given (genetics if you want a godless explanation) talent. You've got to be at least 6 foot and have the ability and dedication for weightlifting to develop into even the kind of player who can do anything on the college level. Baseball players stand around for like 90% of the game but it takes between 15 and 20 years of fine tuning and practice to hone skills to the point where one can play in the majors. That's why it's pretty rare for a baseball player to make his major league debut before the age of 24. Americans think that your average athlete should run anyways, so they don't consider how much soccer players run per game and the extreme amount of conditioning and endurance that goes into it, as well as the skill it takes to kick the ball and bend it accurately. They'll say \"he just kicks the ball,\" though the vast majority of people over here wouldn't be able to put anything on a kick with the opposite foot. I sure as hell can't.

The salary cap in the MLS is probably for the best in the short term. They can't build grassroots public interest in the league without some sort of competitive balance. Without the cap, the league would develop fanbases for LA, probably New England, and New York while every other team goes under.

This post probably got pretty random and rambling but that's how I talk.

RoverWithALimp
Regular international

Post by RoverWithALimp » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:00 am

Another rumour in the Daily Star that were after this Yank... Personally i dont know much about him. Is he any good?

Would be suprised if we went for him now we have Santa Cruz!

Rovers4Life
New signing

Post by Rovers4Life » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:08 am

he was ace for me on FM :scratch:

Border Rover
New signing

Post by Border Rover » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:10 am

If Hughes was after an American striker, then Johnson wouldn't be the best of choices. Landon Donovan is by far the best striker in the MLS, but i doubt he's open now he's got Beckham providing him with yet more goals.

Ok Johnson may be very good on Football Manager :-D but he wouldn't make it here

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:27 am

And I think we may be ok for strikers now, anyway.....

C
New signing

Post by C » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:55 am

i am american and see eddie play regularly. he is great in mls but he cant cut it internationally. i doubt he would do well in the epl at this stage in his career, he needs to either stay in mls or go to holland or a similar league to begin his career abroad