Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Post by Rover the Top » Tue May 15, 2018 8:38 am

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:13 am
Quite literally no wingers until Conway signs back on.
Bennett.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue May 15, 2018 8:58 am

I can't see Conway being first choice if he signs, injuries haven't been kind to him but he's not been the player he was last year.
Conway wrote:“My current injury isn’t near as bad as what we first feared and it’s something we need to deal with.
“I don’t know what’s happening with my contract at the moment. I’m speaking to the club but I can’t say too much about it.
“We’ll see what the future holds but if I have played my final game for the club then it’s a fantastic way to bow out in getting promoted.
“I’ve enjoyed my time here so much and hopefully I can stay longer. But it’s not the time to speak about that, it’s about revelling in promotion and enjoying it."

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue May 15, 2018 9:30 am

Gibbon wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:13 pm
Not a bad base to build a squad on, with a handful of quality additions we should have a competitive side.
For which division? Quite a few of those weren't good enough for the Championship a season ago, with a few still to establish themselves even at League 1 level. I'd take Mulgrew and Dack as the base, the rest are open to be replaced. Some will no doubt form part of the team as wholesale changes can create a mess. But, for example, an out-of-favour PL-level stopper could virtually keep us up on his own; the creativity of a Craig Conway from 3-4 years ago wouldn't go amiss; and I think a more prolific stirker is almost a necessity. I often feel reading this site that our players are overrated by our own fans, they're judged by what else we have in the team or the squad rather than what other clubs at our level have. Plenty of those players would walk into another League 1 side. But I don't think the same applies if they joined a different Championship club.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue May 15, 2018 9:40 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:30 am
Quite a few of those weren't good enough for the Championship a season ago...
...with poor managers. Hard to say what they will do now they have had some half decent leadership for another 12 months.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue May 15, 2018 10:52 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:40 am
Rover the Top wrote:
...with poor managers. Hard to say what they will do now they have had some half decent leadership for another 12 months.
Uh-huh. Chris Coleman can get Wales to the Euro semi finals but can't keep Sunderland from suffering a successive relegation. For all the fairytale stuff John Coleman has achieved with Accrington over the years, they're not going to win the FA Cup anytime soon. Managers are limited more by the players at their disposal than the other way round. It isn't by coincidence that Man City have spent £100m's on super-talented footballers and become the best team in the country. Guardiola deserves credit for the style he's brought success with, but even Paul Lambert would make a good fist of winning the league with that squad. There was an inevitablity to our relegation from the Championship, as we'd cashed in on our better players and didn't bring in the same quality to replace them. It was a similar story to how we got relegated from the PL. A good manager may get more out of certain players than their predecessor, or they may have a knack for recruiting the right players to suit their team. But their impact is usually marginal.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue May 15, 2018 12:09 pm

There are plenty of examples in the opposite direction where that marginal difference makes a mediocre player into a good one by the way a team approaches a game. Look at so many of the Chelsea players that Mou bought who looked shocking for them till they went somewhere else.

Marginal difference is THE difference so much of the time. Obviously the same players are not going to suddenly become CL winners. They could easily go from flirting with/getting relegated to playoffs however. A few marginal games is all it takes.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue May 15, 2018 12:23 pm

I guarantee Corry Evans will continue to fail to recognise nor execute a killer pass, regardless of the manager....

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue May 15, 2018 12:44 pm

There were 34 points between playoffs and relegation in the Championship this season. That means turning 17 draws into victories or 34 defeats into draws (or combination of both). Not really "a few marginal games".

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue May 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
This.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue May 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:39 pm
Ethiaa wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
This.
You're both kidding yourself about the impact that managers have on the game.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue May 15, 2018 3:50 pm

I guess Kean had no impact on the club after all :D

The great thing is we can see what the impact is over the next 12 months - result!

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue May 15, 2018 5:20 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:31 pm
Gibbon wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:39 pm
Ethiaa wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
This.
You're both kidding yourself about the impact that managers have on the game.
I think Mowbray had a definite impact on the team when he took over in the championship, and I think if he’d taken over earlier in the season then we never would have dropped a tier.

While I would agree that, other than substitutions, managers have very little effect during matches while they’re actually being played, I think they obviously have a huge impact on the preparation of the team for that match. Team spirit, tactics, signings, training...

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Tue May 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Owen Coyle would like a word with you.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue May 15, 2018 6:58 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:50 pm
I guess Kean had no impact on the club after all :D

The great thing is we can see what the impact is over the next 12 months - result!
Because obviously my statement was binary.....

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Thu May 17, 2018 8:58 am

Sky news says Rovers and Wigan are interested in signing Blackpool out of contract players Kelvin Mellor (FB) and Clark Robertson (left footed CB)