Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Re: Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu May 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Not sure how I would feel about them. Robertson would be a good depth signing to replace Ward, but Mellor is a head scratcher because we have depth at full back already. But I guess Mellor would be more versatile as depth, since he can play anywhere on the back line.

A paper has us linked, along with other clubs, to Gwion Edwards from Peterborough. I would prefer Maddison if we can get the right price for him.

I would assume we would know how the transfer plans are going by next week, whether or not there is money to spend.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu May 17, 2018 5:02 pm

The media is linking Rovers with a lot of out of contract players and those rumoured to be refusing new deals. Does the media know something about Tony Mowbray's pocket money transfer fund before he gets on the plane to Pune. For all the media knows Venkys may give Tony a huge wad of cash to spend...then again :? I was wondering though about Elliot Ward today. Did he receive a medal for promotion with Rovers while he got relegated with MK Dons? :yeahright:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu May 17, 2018 6:06 pm

Different rules in the Championship, remember, Darth.

*puts on FFP broken record*

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu May 17, 2018 6:45 pm

Depends on how the financials look like. We really don't know how the 2017 fiscal year is like right now, but I would assume we can be looking at a boost in revenue during next season.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri May 18, 2018 7:55 am

But as Blackbat says, the rules are different

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri May 18, 2018 9:31 am

When do the rules apply? Are we bound by the championship now that the transfer window is open, or by league one until the start of the season? Or I guess something :| in the middle.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri May 18, 2018 9:58 am

theadore wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:31 am
When do the rules apply? Are we bound by the championship now that the transfer window is open, or by league one until the start of the season? Or I guess something :| in the middle.
The Championship rules cover a three-year rolling period, and as I read it, there's no exceptions for teams who spent some of that period in a lower division. (I posted what I think are the relevant sections elsewhere - I'll copy them over to here).

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri May 18, 2018 10:02 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6214&p=241007#p241007
1.4 A Reporting Period is the period over which a Championship Club is assessed for the purpose of the Fair Play Requirement. For each Season the Reporting Period is (subject to Rule 2.2 or Rule 2.3) the immediately preceding 12 month period recorded in the Championship Club’s Annual Accounts. For example, for those Championship Clubs with a financial year ending in the period May, June or July the Reporting Period for the 2014/15 Season is the 12 month period ending May, June or July 2014.

3.4 For the avoidance of doubt the Fair Play Information must be supplied notwithstanding the fact that for the Season covered by the Reporting Period the Championship Club was either a Premier League Club relegated into the Championship (Former Premier League Club) or a League One Club which was then promoted into the Championship (Promoted League One Club).

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri May 18, 2018 10:09 am

Cheers... good to know.

Essentially then there is no margin in flouting the rules in league one, unless you don't intend to be promoted. Wondering what the chances of us falling back into sanctions is the next time the lumbering beast comes around.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri May 18, 2018 10:34 am

theadore wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:09 am
Cheers... good to know.

Essentially then there is no margin in flouting the rules in league one, unless you don't intend to be promoted. Wondering what the chances of us falling back into sanctions is the next time the lumbering beast comes around.
My instinct is we'll be fine. I don't think you'd have to run losses to what are considered "unfair" levels in the Championship to have a successful League 1 side. And since it's looked at over a 3 year period, there's some flexibility anyway.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri May 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Not expecting much of a budget after seeing an article headlined "Play football at a promotion-winning team" pop up on the club website... :paranoid:

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri May 18, 2018 3:22 pm

I guess we are trying to find the next Freddy Adu.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Fri May 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Wasn't the first Freddy Adu a bit rubbish?

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri May 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Not really, he was awesome in the MLS. Then he went to Portugal and things kind of went downhill.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri May 25, 2018 5:28 pm

Looks like we will get sensible growth with competitive funds this summer. Will be interesting who they have in mind.

Reports going around that a Rovers 15 year old is getting a lot of attention from clubs.