Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Post by Gibbon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:57 pm

Alan Lying Bastard Noxin has it that Sheffield Wednesday want Mulgrew for 1 million. Which is nice for them, but they can screw off.

Also Steele to Sunderland for £500k, which suits me fine.

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:55 pm

The rumour mill websites seems to think Steele was one of our outstanding players last season....
Which is odd if you consider the points he cost us by himself might otherwise have kept us up.

In the interest of fairness, Raya is hardly the finished article, and might just as well have made as many mistakes, however.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Raya isn't done progressing but he is already better than Steele in my opinion. His reactions are better and seems to control the box better.
Last edited by Thorisgodpoo on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:34 pm
Rays isn't done progressing but he is already better than Steele in my opinion. His reactions are better and seems to control the box better.
This. His authority and communication are markedly better and he's only going to improve as he gains in age and experience as far as I can see.

Lektar
New signing

Post by Lektar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:02 pm

Not sure about Steele going, I think the issue is partly his wages. We would need a top top replacement, which makes me think that the money would need to be good for Steele to tempt us.

I am glad Raya is the No.1, as we can see his ability to literally save points with his shot stopping ability. The up side is massive, if we can develop him into a seasoned goalkeeper and what better opportunity to do so when we have gone down a division.

However, he does need someone pushing him, as the jury is still out. He hasn't proven himself fully yet.

Bowyer and Coyle tried him and he didn't convince. Shot stopping was there, but I think he still felt he was on the play ground and took a few too many risks. One I remember was firing the ball into Tommy's Spur's chest. A great kick, but Tommy didn't have the ability to receive the ball there. I think that mistake cost us a goal, as the ball was robbed and a couple of minutes later Raya was picking it out of his own net. He lost confidence after that and was rightly replaced after a few more gaffs by Steele.

However, his performances at the back end of last season seemed to show that he has matured. Use your ability to distribute the ball in the right ways, taking into account that you aren't kicking the ball to a £50M fullback! He has everything if he can continue to make the right decisions.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:04 pm

Steele gone. which I'm not too upset about. I think Raya is better anyway.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:04 pm
Steele gone. which I'm not too upset about. I think Raya is better anyway.
I agree. Whereas the likes of Mimms, Flowers and Friedel could pull of game saving saves. Steele never seem capable of doing that. Robbo was alright. Happy retirement :rtm:

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:06 am

Glad Steele is gone, he never was to be a permanent fixture in my eyes, always a placeholder. He did okay considering, but his flaws greatly outweigh any of his positives.

Glad we got some cash in, wages off the books. Good move all around.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:08 am

I think he was a very good keeper who will continue to do well in the north east. I think it's too easy to expect a keeper to make up for the failings of the players in front of him (all 10 of them).

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:18 am

Steele was a good 'keeper, but we're always going to be comparing him to his predecessors. Robinson was very good, and Friedel was outstanding. Steele was always going to look worse, but made some crucial saves and generally played well.
I've been impressed with Raya, he's young but has shown some great technique and reactions. He's far from the finished product, but not bad at all.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:08 am
I think it's too easy to expect a keeper to make up for the failings of the players in front of him (all 10 of them).
But that in essence is his job. Not much point in having a goalie who concedes every time one of his teammates screws up. I don't expect goalies to be infallible but they do need to bail the team out with some consistency. We were spoiled with having Friedel for so long, but now it's a weak position for us. I'm not convinced Raya is the answer either. Just as we need strikers who are going to score goals and win us points, we need a 'keeper who'll make the key saves and stop us dropping points.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:17 pm

I think you forget, or choose to ignore, how appalling the 10 people in front of him have been. If you expect a keeper to make up for the failings of the other 10 players at all times, you're going to be disappointed an awful lot.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:25 pm

Yet everyone keeps going on that they're glad we kept thr core of players....

Steele made plenty of his own mistakes, and didn't really counter with anything brilliant to pull us out the mire when the others did make mistake.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Have our fanbase suddenly become a trusted authority on the quality of our squad? :yeahright:

Anyhow, you just need to see how he does in the NE - simple enough to see the outcome.

the growlery
New signing

Post by the growlery » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Steele was one of the worst kickers of the ball I've ever seen in a Rovers goalkeeper's shirt. Length was OK but the number of times his kicks went for a throw in -to the opposition of course - was staggering.