Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:35 pm

The general opinion on here back in January was that it would take much, much more than the £4m Cardiff were rumoured to have offered for Dack to prise him away. Don't see why that would have changed?

Without taking too much for granted from the speculation, if a handful of clubs have been told they need to treble their offers for a player, then it would be a bit of a surprise if they then accepted just a third more, not even half of what they wanted from the other clubs.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:41 pm

This is a really pointless debate and I can't be bothered, I simply made a point on the basis of fan hyperbole which all things considered seemed fairly reasonable.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:19 pm

In your opinion... and no doubt the QPR fan thinks his opinion is perfectly reasonable from his perspective too. :roll: We'd be making similar comments to them if they were offering less than half our valuation for one of our players... :idea: Nowhere ever has anyone said we should accept an offer because we've had a few similar ones before...

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:00 pm

If a team made a £4m offer for Dack it would seem like a completely reasonable offer to be made from a potential buyer, I don't believe we'd sell him for that but my instinct wouldn't be to call it a laughable offer. Offering £500k would be laughable for example.

Jack Marriot has gone to Derby for £2.5m rising to £5m which again gives a good indication of what the top players from league 1 are selling for this summer. Nolan and Nsiala have gone to Ipswich for reported no more than £2m each. I could easily say a £4m bid for Dack is laughable were I writing for a fan page and using hyperbole for clickbait, but the reality is it would be a perfectly reasonable offer to table.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:55 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:15 pm
Gibbon is right that a players valuation is ultimately what a buying club is willing to pay to secure the player.
Gibbon wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:26 pm
If a club doesn’t want a player to leave, you have to offer over the odds to try and tempt them. He’s their player, and the seller sets the selling price.

The real price is what he’s worth to them
:shrug:

SELLING club. I said the opposite of what you said I said. :)

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:10 pm

19 year old Ben Brereton from Forrest for 5 million?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:02 pm

If we’re really after another striker, then the loan/loan to buy window is open until the 31st, so there’s still time.

Of course selling clubs now think we have 5 million floating around... :footinmouth:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:02 pm
If we’re really after another striker, then the loan/loan to buy window is open until the 31st, so there’s still time.

Of course selling clubs now think we have 5 million floating around... :footinmouth:
Where's all the money gone!..it looks like clubs want to keep hold of their most wanted players. I dont think for one minute other championship clubs are going to want to sell their better players to other championship clubs. Looks like we have to live off the scraps of the premier league and the league one players Tony Mowbray feel can make it at championship level. Maybe the loan market will be a good thing for Rovers a sort of try before you buy. Also we need to leave some room for the younger squad players to get a chance. Also i have big hopes for Ben Gladwin and Peter Whittingham... :?

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:40 pm

Tiny tiny tiny bit deflated. My own fault for getting over excited with the amounts we were bidding for players. Had no idea we would look to splash 5m on a single player. Really didn’t see that coming.Also stupidly had in my head that Marcus Maddison would sign for us. I have to remind myself I was buzzing with Armstrong and the amount we paid for him. I hope we have already made great progress in loan options as I don’t want us to go too long light weight upfront and on the wings. I have total faith TM will get the perfect balance.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:57 am

thehatts wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:40 pm
I have total faith TM will get the perfect balance.
Glad you don't have unrealistic expectations :D

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:07 am

Gibbon wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:55 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Gibbon is right that a players valuation is ultimately what a buying club is willing to pay to secure the player.
Gibbon wrote:
If a club doesn’t want a player to leave, you have to offer over the odds to try and tempt them. He’s their player, and the seller sets the selling price.

:lol: I was trying to get my head around why he said you were right when you echoed my point - missed that detail...

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:15 am

I think you are all wrong. There is more context here. On a simplistic level: -

A player is worth what someone will pay for them to the people making the purchase.

If a selling club wants twice what is offered then they aren't worth that much to anyone apart from the selling club.

I think you'd really need to at least get a mean of the value to each club in the world to get something approaching an accurate valuation figure.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:02 am

Surely a mean value is much too simplistic.

If the selling club has a higher value than anyone is willing to pay, then his value is > offered ammount, but not necessarily halfway between the offer and the asking price.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:02 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:07 am
Gibbon wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:55 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Gibbon wrote:

:lol: I was trying to get my head around why he said you were right when you echoed my point - missed that detail...
I confused my language writing responses to your pointless nitpicking.

I made a perfectly reasonable initial point that you turned into yet another point scoring borefest.