Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Rumours, wishlists and general tomfoolery

Post by mcteeth » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:19 am

Think there will be a couple of announcements today.

Mixed feelings about Rodwell as his wages were a huge issue at Sunderland given that he basically barely played.

But what is concerning is that Smallwood hasn’t looked great so far this season back at this level as amazing as he was last season.

zeffania
Promising youngster

Post by zeffania » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:38 pm

Jack Rowell, wow how the mighty fall. Didn't realise he was a free agent :shock:

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:48 pm

I think it's not bad business to look into Jack Rodwell. If the contract is favorable to get him, and the wage is right, it's a good deal. It's obvious other clubs aren't gambling on him right now. He is still training with another club to stay fit from some reports. At 27 years old, he has some injury issues, but not so bad as to stay away. He would be great competition for Smallwood, Evans, and Rothwell.

Signing him and Harrison Reed as well is a head scratcher. Both are central midfielders and with Reed getting a lot of game time with Norwich last season, it makes me think that he is playable at this level now.

I really hope that there is a winger and a striker that is coming in this or next week. Desperately need some reinforcements in that department. As weird as it would be, signing Victor Anichebe (which it seemed he was ruled out, but who knows with Mowbray playing 3D chess) would be a good signing for depth in the short term.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:59 pm

Reed started off as a central midfielder, but from what I could glean from Southampton forums, he ended up being a better option right back.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:59 pm
Reed started off as a central midfielder, but from what I could glean from Southampton forums, he ended up being a better option right back.
That makes a lot of sense then. It seemed that Caddis is never going to get in the squad, along with Whittingham. Nyambe needs competition and someone that can cover for him.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:52 pm

Nyambe is our most consistent defender bar none. He' needs cover, not competition.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:28 am

stillgrowling wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:52 pm
Nyambe is our most consistent defender bar none. He' needs cover, not competition.
I know what you're saying... but the idea of deliberately buying a player who isn't good enough for the first team... :)

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:01 pm

I, on the other hand, don’t know what your saying. I don’t know how it can be seen as a bad thing to bring in personel who have the quality to compete with your best players. :shrug:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:22 pm

I agree, why wouldn't you look to improve on what you have if possible? From a practical point of view, you may decide one position is strong enough and prioritise other areas. And I suppose you could make an argument that you could demoralise an in-form player by suddenly putting their place under threat. But the aim should be to make the team better, there's not much to be gained by adding players who you don't think are good enough to play for you.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Rumors going around on SkySport that Rovers have made a loan offer to QPR's striker Idrissa Sylla.

yankfan
Promising youngster

Post by yankfan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:19 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:52 pm
Bollocks! Every player needs competition that's how the squad improves. Once you sign on the job of the manager is to bring in someone to replace you. Your job is to make sure they dont. No team is successful by giving players spots, it breeds complacency.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:13 pm

According to the Daily Fail, the Ben Brereton deal will go through, loan deal with 6 million option to buy when January comes. Must be super high on Mowbray's list if they kept going after him for weeks.

And Idrissa Sylla rumors are squashed. A little sad about that, was hoping to see a big man come in.

yankfan
Promising youngster

Post by yankfan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:01 am

Rumor has it Leicester is going to offer 10 million for Dack come January. I'd hate to see him go, but if he does go for that price it would be a good bit of business

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:25 am

NFS. And as such our starting point should be at least 20.

Not sure if it’s a mistake, but the rumour seems to originate in an article by ‘Dicko’. :hyper:

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 am

Doesn’t really make any sense to me. They’ve just bought James Maddison for £24m who is a better version of Dack currently and is already playing well for them. Plus the ever improving Demarai Gray.

Hopefully the Brereton moves come through next week. We’ve looked good so far this season but with Armstrong injured it suddenly looks fairly thin for options up front. And I’m not convinced that Nuttall and Samuel are quite up to the level yet to lead our attack. Not saying Brereton is as we don’t need but there just seems to be a lot of excitement about him as a striker.