Jordan Rhodes

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news

January 2016 - Keep Rhodes or take a reported £12m?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Keep him.
64%
Take the money
36%

Total votes: 22

mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:16 pm

The conspiracy theory in me is that Kiranka was so pissed off with the general dealings previously with Rhodes they fucked us over on being able to spend the money yesterday, had the deal been done and dusted on Friday/Saturday.

Very sad to see him go it this could potentially spell disaster but on the other hand it is difficult to imagine that between Marshall, Bennett, Conway, Gomez, Jackson, Watt and Graham that we're going to struggle to create and convert chances; personally I just don't see that happening.

At the moment we're of course worse off without Rhodes that isn't even up for debate, but in time we can move on and hopefully improve the team as a whole.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:18 pm

-------------Steele
Marshall Ward Hanley Spurr
---------Evans Guthrie
Bennett----Gomez----Conway
---------Graham/Watt

That looks like a fairly decent team to me.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:27 pm

mcteeth wrote: Very sad to see him go it this could potentially spell disaster but on the other hand it is difficult to imagine that between Marshall, Bennett, Conway, Gomez, Jackson, Watt and Graham that we're going to struggle to create and convert chances; personally I just don't see that happening.
Watch our last 7 league games again, and it becomes a lot easier to imagine it happening... ;)

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:29 pm

mcteeth wrote:The conspiracy theory in me is that Kiranka was so pissed off with the general dealings previously with Rhodes they fucked us over on being able to spend the money yesterday, had the deal been done and dusted on Friday/Saturday.

Very sad to see him go it this could potentially spell disaster but on the other hand it is difficult to imagine that between Marshall, Bennett, Conway, Gomez, Jackson, Watt and Graham that we're going to struggle to create and convert chances; personally I just don't see that happening.

At the moment we're of course worse off without Rhodes that isn't even up for debate, but in time we can move on and hopefully improve the team as a whole.
We will see if we are worse off. I would be shocked if the teams average goal count doesn't increase.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:40 pm

Which would still have nothing to do with selling Rhodes. It can hardly get much worse, the tactics employed by the manager have been so poor.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:15 pm

mcteeth wrote:-------------Steele
---------Evans Guthrie
---------Graham/Watt

Does that mean you've changed your mind about Marshall at right back?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:01 pm

Evans, Guthrie and Bennett all don't inspire much in the midfield.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:35 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
mcteeth wrote: Very sad to see him go it this could potentially spell disaster but on the other hand it is difficult to imagine that between Marshall, Bennett, Conway, Gomez, Jackson, Watt and Graham that we're going to struggle to create and convert chances; personally I just don't see that happening.
Watch our last 7 league games again, and it becomes a lot easier to imagine it happening... ;)
But it's basically a completely new attacking set of players except Conway, so we don't really know yet :shrug:

I was also very impressed by Graham and Watt as well as thinking Gomez is a great addition. I'd rather we still had Rhodes but I don't think we're now destined for League 1 because he has gone.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:38 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
mcteeth wrote:-------------Steele
---------Evans Guthrie
---------Graham/Watt

Does that mean you've changed your mind about Marshall at right back?
Bennett needs to pull his finger out and start doing something, but I don't mind Marshall being there anymore no. Although I would add that I think Henley behind Marshall is just as good if not better provided Henley isn't having a stinker, which does happen.

The most positive aspect of it for me is having a player of Marshall's quality at the back able to do something with the ball other than panic and smash it long, both him and Spurr are capable of that.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:39 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Evans, Guthrie and Bennett all don't inspire much in the midfield.
Evans and Guthrie together were half decent I thought.

But Bennett has so far been a bit naff.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:01 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
But it's basically a completely new attacking set of players except Conway, so we don't really know yet :shrug:

I was also very impressed by Graham and Watt as well as thinking Gomez is a great addition. I'd rather we still had Rhodes but I don't think we're now destined for League 1 because he has gone.
You've missed my point. Play the way we have been doing, and it doesn't matter who the players are.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:12 pm

I think Evans could be very good for us if he's allowed to come forwards more as he does when he plays his international side, and I don't think we've seen enough of Bennett yet, though what I've read about him sounds promising and makes me think that a team with a line-up of:
---------------------Steele--------------------
Marshall------Ward------Hanley------Spurr
---------------------Akpan--------------------
Bennett-----------Gomez-----------Conway
-------------Watt----------Graham----------

has plenty of potential.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:17 pm

Evans has been consistently pants for us for quite a while. His passing is dreadful and his positioning isn't good enough to make him a ball winner.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:32 pm

That's as may be, regardless, I think Akpan has more to offer in that role - but that's me.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:51 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Which would still have nothing to do with selling Rhodes. It can hardly get much worse, the tactics employed by the manager have been so poor.
I know that. I agree but surely if the manager is staying and the tactics of using a star player to do everything attacking wise doesn't work the best option is to then change the players? It just doesn't work with Rhodes under PL tactics. Can you not see that?