Jordan Rhodes

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news

January 2016 - Keep Rhodes or take a reported £12m?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Keep him.
64%
Take the money
36%

Total votes: 22

thehatts
Ageing international

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by thehatts » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
mcteeth wrote:
Rover the Top wrote: Watch our last 7 league games again, and it becomes a lot easier to imagine it happening... ;)
But it's basically a completely new attacking set of players except Conway, so we don't really know yet :shrug:

I was also very impressed by Graham and Watt as well as thinking Gomez is a great addition. I'd rather we still had Rhodes but I don't think we're now destined for League 1 because he has gone.
You've missed my point. Play the way we have been doing, and it doesn't matter who the players are.
I disagree. If graham can hold the ball up better than Rhodes and can bring others into the game better than Rhodes then the tactics of pinging the ball up to the striker could work better.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:44 pm

Rover the Top wrote:You've missed my point. Play the way we have been doing, and it doesn't matter who the players are.
But we've played very differently in the last 4 games :shrug:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:29 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:You've missed my point. Play the way we have been doing, and it doesn't matter who the players are.
Two of which were against League 2 sides.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:20 pm

thehatts wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
mcteeth wrote:
But it's basically a completely new attacking set of players except Conway, so we don't really know yet :shrug:

I was also very impressed by Graham and Watt as well as thinking Gomez is a great addition. I'd rather we still had Rhodes but I don't think we're now destined for League 1 because he has gone.
You've missed my point. Play the way we have been doing, and it doesn't matter who the players are.
I disagree. If graham can hold the ball up better than Rhodes and can bring others into the game better than Rhodes then the tactics of pinging the ball up to the striker could work better.
That oh so successful tactic that all the best sides use to such devastating effect.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:25 pm

theadore wrote:
thehatts wrote:
Rover the Top wrote: You've missed my point. Play the way we have been doing, and it doesn't matter who the players are.
That oh so successful tactic that all the best sides use to such devastating effect.
Yep it's not pretty.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:22 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
mcteeth wrote:
Stop being a spoil sport. I'm just relived he has stopped hoofing it. You also don't sign Gomez and Watt if you're going to play long ball.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:00 am

thehatts wrote:
theadore wrote:
thehatts wrote:
Yep it's not pretty.
Or effective.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:02 am

mcteeth wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:
mcteeth wrote:
Stop being a spoil sport. I'm just relived he has stopped hoofing it. You also don't sign Gomez and Watt if you're going to play long ball.
Nope, but I wouldn't have played hoof ball with a player like Rhodes in the squad either; nor with Lawrence available, or good wingers like Conway and Marshall.

To be honest, I just wouldn't play hoofball.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:40 am

Agreed.

But I do think he has stopped doing it.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:05 am

Gibbon wrote:I think Evans could be very good for us if he's allowed to come forwards more as he does when he plays his international side, and I don't think we've seen enough of Bennett yet, though what I've read about him sounds promising and makes me think that a team with a line-up of:
---------------------Steele--------------------
Marshall------Ward------Hanley------Spurr
---------------------Akpan--------------------
Bennett-----------Gomez-----------Conway
-------------Watt----------Graham----------

has plenty of potential.
New signings are unknowns, there's always potential there but it isn't always fulfilled. Gomez is the only one who feels like a bit of a coup, I don't know what's gone wrong for him at Sunderland other than maybe he isn't an Allardyce player. The rest have big question marks over them: there's three who Lambert had before at Norwich but haven't done much recently, can they recreate what they had before? Graham has performed at this level before but it was quite some time ago, is a fresh start all he needs? And Watt seems to have had a lot of clubs for a youngster without starring anywhere, have a team below us in the league made a big mistake in letting him come here? Hopefully, they'll all be awesome. But for now there's a lot of finger-crossing needed.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:04 am

And given that they're all loanees, with the exception of Watt and the agreed fee clause, if they do all do well, chances are they won't be here next season.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:15 am

mrblackbat wrote:And given that they're all loanees, with the exception of Watt and the agreed fee clause, if they do all do well, chances are they won't be here next season.
Ward and Bennett signed 2 1/2 year deals with us.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:20 am

Oops. :footinmouth:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:01 am

Rover the Top wrote:Watt seems to have had a lot of clubs for a youngster without starring anywhere, have a team below us in the league made a big mistake in letting him come here? Hopefully, they'll all be awesome. But for now there's a lot of finger-crossing needed.
Watt was apparently on his way to Cardiff until embargo stopped the deal, so he was upwardly mobile when we stepped in. Reports of his performance against Oxford were very good too - so fingers crossed he can build on that start against championship opposition.

With regards to Bennett - I generally include new signings in line-ups if they occupy a problem position for us, as I assume that's the reason they were brought in.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:06 am

Watt's last 3 games have been for 3 different clubs - he did look promising for us, if he can settle down and keep that up then he should be a good addition. He'll be wanting to prove himself.