Jordan Rhodes

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news

January 2016 - Keep Rhodes or take a reported £12m?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Keep him.
14
64%
Take the money
8
36%
 
Total votes: 22

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26756
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:50 am

The loan window was opening anyway and I've just said it's fact that we now have money. :shrug: Having the potential to bring in players isn't better than already having proven quality players in your side.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17370
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by Gibbon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:26 am

There's not much point in a) keeping a goal scorer who doesn't want to stay if b) we have a manager who doesn't want to play a system that allows him to score goals. Especially when c) a decent offer is on the table for him.

I'm sure Rhodes would have buckled down and played as he always does, which largely negates point 'a'...however that doesn't help if we still have point 'b' to contend with. Luckily there was point 'c'.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26756
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:38 am

Gibbon wrote:There's not much point in a) keeping a goal scorer who doesn't want to stay if b) we have a manager who doesn't want to play a system that allows him to score goals. Especially when c) a decent offer is on the table for him.

I'm sure Rhodes would have buckled down and played as he always does, which largely negates point 'a'...however that doesn't help if we still have point 'b' to contend with. Luckily there was point 'c'.
In which case the problem is the manager, not the player. Aitor Karanka doesn't seem to think having a 20 goal-a-season striker in his side is a bad thing.

User avatar
Franco_ice
Valued squad member
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 am
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by Franco_ice » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:50 am

Selling is a real gamble, what about the grind period of these new players as a team.
If they had restrained and got in one or two players to help out it would have been the safe option.
In whole it looks now an entire set of playing eleven, during the ongoing season looks a big ask.
I would have liked the Tinker man act here.

User avatar
Franco_ice
Valued squad member
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 am
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by Franco_ice » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:55 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Gibbon wrote:There's not much point in a) keeping a goal scorer who doesn't want to stay if b) we have a manager who doesn't want to play a system that allows him to score goals. Especially when c) a decent offer is on the table for him.

I'm sure Rhodes would have buckled down and played as he always does, which largely negates point 'a'...however that doesn't help if we still have point 'b' to contend with. Luckily there was point 'c'.
In which case the problem is the manager, not the player. Aitor Karanka doesn't seem to think having a 20 goal-a-season striker in his side is a bad thing.
Wait and watch if the team does not score then he might say we will need to buy a proven goal scorer.

User avatar
Joe
Ageing international
Posts: 3561
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by Joe » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:57 am

thehatts wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:The positives are largely hypothetical. We could survive this season, spend the money on new players who all turn out to be ace, and get promoted next year. The problem is none of it can be guaranteed, all that's certain is that we've lost one of the most prolific goalscorers in the league. Anyone trying to back up Lambert's claim that we don't need goals has taken leave of their senses, we're not going to be suddenly better defensively because we can't finish our own chances anymore. We need to be able to score to win games and pick up points, it's plainly perverse to argue that's a problem. Middlesbrough haven't signed Rhodes expecting he'll make them worse. We're now hoping Watt, Graham or Jackson can step up and replace that quality in front of goal when there's little reason to expect them to. People are still talking about trying to reach the Premier League when we're in real danger of getting relegated. Without regular goals we'll find it difficult to stay up.

It reminds me of all the people who thought selling Friedel was good business. He ended up staying in the PL longer than Rovers did.
But you assume keeping Rhodes will keep us up!!!!
We have scored 2 goals in 7!!!!!!
You keep banging on about the 2 goals in 7 stat..... How does this reflect on Rhodes?

If you want to use stats.....Rhodes has 2 goals in 2 games in the short term. Or 11 in 26 if you want to look at the season. Or 85 in 157 if you look at his time here. His stats say he's been the most prolific striker in England over the last 4 years.

Stats suggest selling him is crazy.

If this money is to increase our 'war chest' for the summer, why not sell him at the end of the season when he'll probably have scored enough goals to put another million or so on his price-tag? To me it seems we've sold him because Lambert doesn't like him/ doesn't know how to utilise him effectively. Which is quite worrying. I think Roy Keane is the only manager who's had similar difficulties....

thehatts
Ageing international
Posts: 2426
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by thehatts » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:02 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Gibbon wrote:There's not much point in a) keeping a goal scorer who doesn't want to stay if b) we have a manager who doesn't want to play a system that allows him to score goals. Especially when c) a decent offer is on the table for him.

I'm sure Rhodes would have buckled down and played as he always does, which largely negates point 'a'...however that doesn't help if we still have point 'b' to contend with. Luckily there was point 'c'.
In which case the problem is the manager, not the player. Aitor Karanka doesn't seem to think having a 20 goal-a-season striker in his side is a bad thing.
Boro have the team to support Rhodes we don't. 2 goals in the last 7 games. Rhodes has scored 1 league goal in the last 10 games. It's not working. Keeping Rhodes and not picking up points makes no sense. To me Rhodes so far this season doesn't look like the player he used to be.

Ok RTT say Rhodes stayed and say it is PL fault. What would you want to do about it. Change the manager?! Play like we have in the last 10 games and fingers crossed we luckily pick up points and the oppositions give us a few pens and og's. What makes you think if Rhodes stayed PL would change his tactics????? I'm just happy to try something new instead of sticking with something that's dragging us into a relegation battle.

thehatts
Ageing international
Posts: 2426
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by thehatts » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:17 pm

Joe wrote:
thehatts wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:The positives are largely hypothetical. We could survive this season, spend the money on new players who all turn out to be ace, and get promoted next year. The problem is none of it can be guaranteed, all that's certain is that we've lost one of the most prolific goalscorers in the league. Anyone trying to back up Lambert's claim that we don't need goals has taken leave of their senses, we're not going to be suddenly better defensively because we can't finish our own chances anymore. We need to be able to score to win games and pick up points, it's plainly perverse to argue that's a problem. Middlesbrough haven't signed Rhodes expecting he'll make them worse. We're now hoping Watt, Graham or Jackson can step up and replace that quality in front of goal when there's little reason to expect them to. People are still talking about trying to reach the Premier League when we're in real danger of getting relegated. Without regular goals we'll find it difficult to stay up.

It reminds me of all the people who thought selling Friedel was good business. He ended up staying in the PL longer than Rovers did.
But you assume keeping Rhodes will keep us up!!!!
We have scored 2 goals in 7!!!!!!
You keep banging on about the 2 goals in 7 stat..... How does this reflect on Rhodes?

If you want to use stats.....Rhodes has 2 goals in 2 games in the short term. Or 11 in 26 if you want to look at the season. Or 85 in 157 if you look at his time here. His stats say he's been the most prolific striker in England over the last 4 years.

Stats suggest selling him is crazy.

If this money is to increase our 'war chest' for the summer, why not sell him at the end of the season when he'll probably have scored enough goals to put another million or so on his price-tag? To me it seems we've sold him because Lambert doesn't like him/ doesn't know how to utilise him effectively. Which is quite worrying. I think Roy Keane is the only manager who's had similar difficulties....
But people can't have it both ways. Tell me over the last 10 league games is it working? Yes or no? No guarantee PL would change his tactics yes or no? So why the optimism that things would change for the better if nothing changes in terms of team line up and tactics.

Under GB and PL does Rhodes look as good as he did previous season? Yes or no???
Yes this could be the managers fault but if you don't change the manager and the manager doesn't change his tactics why stick with something that's not working in terms of scoring goals and gaining points. Not scoring in 5 out of your last 7 league games is terrible. Esp given the opposition. I'm willing to bet anyone we score 2 or more from our next 7 games against tougher teams.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14220
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Your argument continues to become ever more irrational.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17370
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by Gibbon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Gibbon wrote:There's not much point in a) keeping a goal scorer who doesn't want to stay if b) we have a manager who doesn't want to play a system that allows him to score goals. Especially when c) a decent offer is on the table for him.

I'm sure Rhodes would have buckled down and played as he always does, which largely negates point 'a'...however that doesn't help if we still have point 'b' to contend with. Luckily there was point 'c'.
In which case the problem is the manager, not the player. Aitor Karanka doesn't seem to think having a 20 goal-a-season striker in his side is a bad thing.
Oh yes, absolutely. But Lambert is the manager and deserves a chance to build his own team and make the decisions that enable him to do that. I've always tried to give new managers a fair shake to prove themselves and their ideas, so I'll wait and see how he does with this one even if I don't personally agree with it.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14220
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:23 pm

thehatts wrote:Play like we have in the last 10 games and fingers crossed we luckily pick up points and the oppositions give us a few pens and og's. What makes you think if Rhodes stayed PL would change his tactics?
If you consider these two sentences rationally, the correct solution to the problem would have presented itself. ;)

thehatts
Ageing international
Posts: 2426
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by thehatts » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:28 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
thehatts wrote:Play like we have in the last 10 games and fingers crossed we luckily pick up points and the oppositions give us a few pens and og's. What makes you think if Rhodes stayed PL would change his tactics?
If you consider these two sentences rationally, the correct solution to the problem would have presented itself. ;)
But you don't want Lambert out!!!!Hence I have said you can't have it both ways. It's either Rhodes or PL goes. Seeing as Rhodes wanted out and PL has shown no sign of changing tactics. Why keep things the way they were????!For me the best thing is to get some fresh faces in to stop the rot especially as PL is staying.

thehatts
Ageing international
Posts: 2426
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by thehatts » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:30 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Your argument continues to become ever more irrational.
Great input.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14220
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Just a shame you can't understand it, isn't it?

thehatts
Ageing international
Posts: 2426
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Jordan Rhodes

Post by thehatts » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:07 pm

MRB lets cut the crap.

Do you want PL sacked, yes or no?

Do you think if Rhodes stayed that PL would change his tactics? Yes or no

Post Reply