Unemployed ex-pro

Re: Derek Shaw

Post by Dan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:17 pm

:bye:

dazzle the rover
New signing

Post by dazzle the rover » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:59 pm

So what does this mean for the club? How much influence does he hold? Never really understood what he did

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:13 pm

dazzle the rover wrote:So what does this mean for the club? How much influence does he hold? Never really understood what he did
MD - day to day management of the business at Ewood. It means we will have to employ someone else. Assuming that someone else has a reasonable understanding of running a football business then I don't see it means that much for the club.

dazzle the rover
New signing

Post by dazzle the rover » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:17 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
dazzle the rover wrote:So what does this mean for the club? How much influence does he hold? Never really understood what he did
MD - day to day management of the business at Ewood. It means we will have to employ someone else. Assuming that someone else has a reasonable understanding of running a football business then I don't see it means that much for the club.
Cheers thanks for that. So pretty much the same as any md then.
A lot of people are saying that this is a good thing

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:18 am

Derek didn't garner much public affection but I think you'd be hard pressed to point to anything he did wrong. The fact most people don't know what he does suggests he did his job quietly and without incident. Sounds like a reasonable way to conduct business to me. On a personal level I found the bloke perfectly amiable if a little bonkers.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:59 am

Any word if Venky's themselves intend to step back into the breach?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:03 am

mrblackbat wrote:Any word if Venky's themselves intend to step back into the breach?
I've not heard anything - but then I doubt I would. They play their cards close to their chest these days (which I think is a good thing).

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:26 am

The internet creates a parallel universe where caricatures of the people at Rovers take on a life of their own. Shaw's been made out to be some kind of Bond villain's sidekick. I doubt the reality is anywhere near as exciting, and I'd be surprised if his departure makes much difference. It's just going to mean the conspiracy theorists will have someone new to fantasise about. :paranoid:

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:00 am

If only there was someone who was familiar with the club and could step in and take on the role... ;)

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:52 am

I never understood the criticism of Shaw, particularly the snide comments aimed at his shelving business - I don't remember anyone mocking John Williams for his non-football business past. Under the circumstances he seems to have done a fairly good job - his stewardship has seen us achieve stability under Bowyer and a recovery from the conditions that caused us to enter embargo.

The fact he's gone so soon into Lambert's reign raises questions in my mind as to whether he was on board with Bowyer's sacking. The timing seems to coincide with some other major changes at the club, such as Rhodes' departure, which make me think that there may be a link.

So long as we get someone competent in as a replacement I doubt we'll have too many problems.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Kenneth Lay?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:28 pm

Posthumously? :hyper:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:33 pm

Do less damage that way.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:25 pm

Wasn't Derek Shaw responsible for the appointment of Michael Appleton?
Wasn't Derek Shaw responsible for the contractual error that allowed Henning Berg to leave Rovers with quite a sizeable payoff for failing miserably?
These two issues seem to taint Shaw's time at Rovers whether they be true or not.
There also appeared to be an almost childish relationship with Shebby Singh.
It would be interesting to hear Derek's views on these and other issues concerning Rovers owners.
I suspect though that he is at heart a decent sort and rather than say anything bad he would rather say nothing at all. This would mirror really his time as MD of Rovers were he appeared to just get on with it the best he could in what have proved to be challenging times for Rovers.