Derek Shaw

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Derek Shaw

Post by Gibbon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:43 pm

Berg and Appleton didn't really have an opportunity to NOT fail miserably.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:25 pm

Gibbon wrote:Berg and Appleton didn't really have an opportunity to NOT fail miserably.
Berg won one of his ten games in charge and Appleton won four of his fifteen. Hardly inspiring. And to make chumps of them both Gary Bowyer did his caretaker bit winning three of his four games in charge and drawing the other.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:55 am

I know what their record was, both were bad starts, but they weren't given a chance to sort things out. They were fired after a ridiculously short time.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:28 pm

Caretaker Managers always seem to do well, there's no pressure on them at all. Just look at all the games we won with Tony Parkes in charge.
Under Appleton we were awful, but I'm still convinced Berg could have come good given a bit of time. I think Mark Hughes only won 3 of his first 15 games as manager, and he turned out to be one of the best we've had in recent years.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:34 pm

Appleton made some shocking signings, played some shocking football and was pretty awful all round. Berg I would agree never really got a chance.

Though, as unpopular as it will be to say so, that season we should not have dismissed Kean when we did; if he was going to go it should have been well before that, not when we were flying high.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Didn't Kean resign?
I agree with that though, our results were going well at the start of that season and the football was getting better, but the horrible atmosphere and genuine hatred for him from a lot of supporters was never going to go away.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:35 pm

Mutual agreement if I recall.