Amari’i Bell

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
Post Reply
User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17937
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Amari’i Bell

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:05 pm

‘Massive club’ klaxon.

User avatar
Darth Rover
Ageing international
Posts: 4092
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Amari’i Bell

Post by Darth Rover » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:46 pm

Mowbray speaks highly of Amari'i Bell and also makes reference to Derrick Williams contribution this season. Bell has been signed to create competition at left back. Interesting this one. Williams has done good enough job but Mowbray has gone out and brought in some direct competition for his place. I think this is the first time that Mowbray has signed anyone for a position where there is no obvious need to strengthen in that area.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 2360
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: Amari’i Bell

Post by WacoRover » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:46 pm
Mowbray speaks highly of Amari'i Bell and also makes reference to Derrick Williams contribution this season. Bell has been signed to create competition at left back. Interesting this one. Williams has done good enough job but Mowbray has gone out and brought in some direct competition for his place. I think this is the first time that Mowbray has signed anyone for a position where there is no obvious need to strengthen in that area.
Darth, this IS very interesting; Mowbray must feel we're at a good place right now, if he can add depth. Since I've followed Blackburn Rovers (2012-2013), I cannot remember a time we've done this. It's been a struggle just to hang onto good players.

User avatar
Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star
Posts: 1954
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:45 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Amari’i Bell

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:02 am

He started it off right. Solid signing to see what more Williams has to offer.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17937
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Amari’i Bell

Post by Gibbon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:35 am

Mowbray obviously feels that if anything happens to Williams we’re royally fucked for a solid replacement.

Hart wasn’t deemed ready/good enough, so it stands to reason to bring in competition who can push Williams for a starting place, and has the attributes to develop and play at championship level should we get there next season.

We just did exactly the same with Dack/Payne. Insurance on key roles for the run in.

yankfan
Promising youngster
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Amari’i Bell

Post by yankfan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:35 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 pm
Darth Rover wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:46 pm
Mowbray speaks highly of Amari'i Bell and also makes reference to Derrick Williams contribution this season. Bell has been signed to create competition at left back. Interesting this one. Williams has done good enough job but Mowbray has gone out and brought in some direct competition for his place. I think this is the first time that Mowbray has signed anyone for a position where there is no obvious need to strengthen in that area.
Darth, this IS very interesting; Mowbray must feel we're at a good place right now, if he can add depth. Since I've followed Blackburn Rovers (2012-2013), I cannot remember a time we've done this. It's been a struggle just to hang onto good players.
I grew up playing with Steve Churndalo and he said about his career that once you sign a contract the managers job is to find a replacement for you. Your job is to make sure whoever they bring in isn't better.

User avatar
Darth Rover
Ageing international
Posts: 4092
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Amari’i Bell

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:04 pm

yankfan wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:35 pm
WacoRover wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 pm
Darth Rover wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:46 pm
Mowbray speaks highly of Amari'i Bell and also makes reference to Derrick Williams contribution this season. Bell has been signed to create competition at left back. Interesting this one. Williams has done good enough job but Mowbray has gone out and brought in some direct competition for his place. I think this is the first time that Mowbray has signed anyone for a position where there is no obvious need to strengthen in that area.
Darth, this IS very interesting; Mowbray must feel we're at a good place right now, if he can add depth. Since I've followed Blackburn Rovers (2012-2013), I cannot remember a time we've done this. It's been a struggle just to hang onto good players.
I grew up playing with Steve Churndalo and he said about his career that once you sign a contract the managers job is to find a replacement for you. Your job is to make sure whoever they bring in isn't better.
I think this is the case with Mowbray. The signing of Bell reminds me of Kenny Dalglish buying Tim Flowers when Rovers had Bobby Mimms.

yankfan
Promising youngster
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Amari’i Bell

Post by yankfan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:04 pm
yankfan wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:35 pm
WacoRover wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 pm
Darth Rover wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:46 pm
Mowbray speaks highly of Amari'i Bell and also makes reference to Derrick Williams contribution this season. Bell has been signed to create competition at left back. Interesting this one. Williams has done good enough job but Mowbray has gone out and brought in some direct competition for his place. I think this is the first time that Mowbray has signed anyone for a position where there is no obvious need to strengthen in that area.
Darth, this IS very interesting; Mowbray must feel we're at a good place right now, if he can add depth. Since I've followed Blackburn Rovers (2012-2013), I cannot remember a time we've done this. It's been a struggle just to hang onto good players.
I grew up playing with Steve Churndalo and he said about his career that once you sign a contract the managers job is to find a replacement for you. Your job is to make sure whoever they bring in isn't better.
I think this is the case with Mowbray. The signing of Bell reminds me of Kenny Dalglish buying Tim Flowers when Rovers had Bobby Mimms.
Right competition for a place on the game sheet keeps players from becoming complacement. For those that can't handle being pushed by another are never going to progress any way. The second a player feels his name is automatically on the sheet is the day they let others have an edge.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:58 am
Contact:

Re: Amari’i Bell

Post by stillgrowling » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:42 pm

Can this lad play any position other than lb?

User avatar
Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star
Posts: 1954
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:45 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Amari’i Bell

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:57 pm

I would assume he could push up to left mid in an emergency.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17937
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Amari’i Bell

Post by Gibbon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:32 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:42 pm
Can this lad play any position other than lb?
I’ve seen him described as a wingback more than a straight lb, so we shall see.

Post Reply