Jack Rodwell

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Jack Rodwell

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Signs on a one year deal. Smart business giving him a short term contract, gives him something to play for if interested. Adds depth and possibly a really good addition.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: Jack Rodwell

Post by Dan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:14 pm

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:40 pm

We don’t know the wages but for just a season it feels like a very sensible free transfers. Mowbray comments on it not being an expensive deal for the club so there could be a really positive outcome and won’t be a distaster if he flops.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:30 pm

The last thing we want is a distaster! :hyper:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:51 pm

This is kind of like buying that car you always wanted that was always too expensive. This one has got average mileage for its age but had a few owners of late. Nobody else wants it so its a bargain right?

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:23 am

Quite intrigued to see how he does. He was on 70k a week at Sunderland so I’m assuming he’ll be on a hell of a lot less with us and so hopefully his motivations are to get playing regularly again.

zeffania
Promising youngster

Post by zeffania » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:20 am

Looks a good deal from where I am. He was a very good player, just needs confidence. No reason why we can't get the best out of him again

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:46 am

Feels like a bad move. We've got burned a few times in recent seasons with the likes of Murphy, Guthrie and Whittingham not producing on their obvious talent. Rodwell's career has spectacularly nosedived and it's hard to picture him getting it back.

So now I've said that, he'll be awesome for us... :yeahright:

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:30 am

I was thinking the same, but he's got age on his side a bit more than the likes of Murphy and Whittingham. He hasn't stepped down for an easy way to prolong his playing career for a couple of years, he's still got time left and will hopefully be wanting to prove himself again.

I am sceptical, we can't afford to be giving players who aren't up to the job lots of game time to prove otherwise, but hopefully he can perform well enough in training to hit the ground running if he earns a start.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 am

I think there's a difference in the point of career with the likes of Murphy and Whittingham though, plus its only a month long loan.

In the past we've also had success with players who appear wash ups: Bellamy, Santa Cruz etc.

Seems I'm making the same point as Dan....

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:34 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 am
plus its only a month long loan.
Eh?
Rovers are delighted to announce the signing of Jack Rodwell on a deal until the end of the season.
Who do you think we're loaning him from? :D

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:34 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 am
plus its only a month long loan.
Eh?
Rovers are delighted to announce the signing of Jack Rodwell on a deal until the end of the season.
A Premier League title winner, Rodwell will remain with Rovers until June 2019 and is the club's fifth signing of the summer.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:35 am

Ha! That's incredible ^ :lol:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:51 am

I have a feeling it’ll be a heavily incentivised contract, and Mowbray obviously feels that he can get a response from Rodwell.

He was great at Everton, then made a move to Man City where he got lost amongst the stars.

The move to Sunderland was a sign for me and that he wanted to play, and I think he was unlucky to join a club that had a thousand problems at that point and was in freefall.

The only thing I’m not keen on is where he says that he’s got ‘nothing to prove’. In my opinion he has EVERYTHING to prove at this point.

It’s a gamble, but given his age and circumstances, I think it’s a fair one.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:52 am

Dan wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:35 am
Ha! That's incredible ^ :lol:
:lol:

I'm not sure it's the same as Bellamy and Santa Cruz either - Bellamy had been frozen out at Newcastle because of an argument with Souness, Santa Cruz was still regularly involved with Bayern's first team. Both were capable players, but needed to come here for the opportunity to show their best form. Whereas Rodwell hasn't been able to get a game for a side who dropped two divisions in successive seasons. He's dropped a long, long way from the £15m move to Man City and England caps.