David Bentley 'gets CL football' ... now who do we buy?

Rovers related transfer rumours and transfer news
RoverWithALimp
Regular international

Re: David Bentley

Post by RoverWithALimp » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:50 pm

Rover the Top wrote:And still no comment on why Bentley isn't worth £60k a week... :numpty; :rofl:
Just think its rather high considering he's on £20,000 atm...

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:53 pm

Rover the Top wrote:By the way, why are we all Technical Architecture Requirements Databases? :-?
You aren't dear

streakyb
Valued squad member

Post by streakyb » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:55 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:And still no comment on why Bentley isn't worth £60k a week... :numpty; :rofl:
Firstly how do we know he is only on £20k. Secondly, what he is on now has little to no relevance to what he is worth now. His salary per week should be comparable to other top quality players. This means that he is worth £60k. Player wage inflation is over the top and stupid, but it does mean Bents should be earning circa £60k.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:56 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote:
Is he? Is that according to Nicko, too?

If it's true, then he's definitely underpaid - in contrast to what a big 4 club would no doubt pay him, not ordinary humans like you or I. As I said earlier, Samba is on something like £32k a week, according to a retired former club employee... I still take that with a pinch of salt, but it seems more credible than an internet rumour.

RoverWithALimp
Regular international

Post by RoverWithALimp » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:00 pm

streakyb wrote:
RoverWithALimp wrote:
Firstly how do we know he is only on £20k. Secondly, what he is on now has little to no relevance to what he is worth now. His salary per week should be comparable to other top quality players. This means that he is worth £60k. Player wage inflation is over the top and stupid, but it does mean Bents should be earning circa £60k.
Because its been mentioned several times that if he moved to Chelsea or Liverpool, they could trebble his wages to £60,000...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 803871.ece

Does a player, that several people feel isnt the finished product yet deserve the same wage Hughes was willing to stretch to in the attempt to keep Craig Bellamy who in many ways, was the finished product when he was at Ewood.

I dont know... :-?

Anyone know what wage Roque is on?
Not sarcasm...? Guess im not the only person who goes back on his word on occasion...? :-?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:10 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote:
Not sarcasm...? Guess im not the only person who goes back on his word on occasion...? :-?
What's that supposed to mean? Seriously, I haven't a clue what you're talking about, it was just a couple of questions... I wanted to know how you could say exactly how much a player earns, even the papers usually guess...

You said that article in the Times was 'one of the most pathetic articles I have read in my life' yesterday. Now you're presenting it as back up for your statement. I still think it's bobbins. But supposing it were true, and Liverpool and Chelsea were going to offer Bentley £60k a week. Surely we have to offer him the same at least? (Now I understand Nicko's comment on BRFCS.)

streakyb
Valued squad member

Post by streakyb » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:38 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote:Does a player, that several people feel isnt the finished product yet deserve the same wage Hughes was willing to stretch to in the attempt to keep Craig Bellamy who in many ways, was the finished product when he was at Ewood.
When you put it like that it seems a bargain. In my eyes Bentley is more important to our team now than Bellamy was, factor in the increase in salaries in the last cpl year and 60k seems good value. So what if he hasnt reached is full potnetial, it just means that when he does he will be worth more.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:42 pm

Hey if only several people think he isn't the finished product, then we're laughing. Sorry, that was pedantic, but it was too tempting to resist... :lol:

RoverWithALimp
Regular international

Post by RoverWithALimp » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:45 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
RoverWithALimp wrote:
What's that supposed to mean? Seriously, I haven't a clue what you're talking about, it was just a couple of questions... I wanted to know how you could say exactly how much a player earns, even the papers usually guess...

You said that article in the Times was 'one of the most pathetic articles I have read in my life' yesterday. Now you're presenting it as back up for your statement. I still think it's bobbins. But supposing it were true, and Liverpool and Chelsea were going to offer Bentley £60k a week. Surely we have to offer him the same at least? (Now I understand Nicko's comment on BRFCS.)
You pointed out the other day that you weren't sarcasm, you just disagreed with people... Im just pointing out the perfect example of your sarcastic activities and that you are in fact... sarcastic...

As for the article, linking Bentley to Chelsea and Liverpool. It is rubbish, but i have read in several different articles the same line. Basically saying, if Bentley moved to wherever. He would have his wages x by 3, to £60,000
That must of come from somebody or someone doing their research, or it wouldnt have been said so many times...

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:58 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
RoverWithALimp wrote:

You pointed out the other day that you weren't sarcasm, you just disagreed with people... Im just pointing out the perfect example of your sarcastic activities and that you are in fact... sarcastic...

As for the article, linking Bentley to Chelsea and Liverpool. It is rubbish, but i have read in several different articles the same line. Basically saying, if Bentley moved to wherever. He would have his wages x by 3, to £60,000
That must of come from somebody or someone doing their research, or it wouldnt have been said so many times...
Bentley was given a new contract 12 months ago after having a real impact in the premiership for us. I would've expected that contract to take into account his progress, and would be very surprised if it was less than £35k per week.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:06 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote:You pointed out the other day that you weren't sarcasm, you just disagreed with people... Im just pointing out the perfect example of your sarcastic activities and that you are in fact... sarcastic...
:clonk: Firstly, sarcasm = saying the opposite of what you mean in a mocking or sneering way, so it's obvious you don't mean it. eg I'm so happy you've fucked up my 606 account by being childish. Above I asked you two straight forward questions. ie I wasn't being sarcastic. I can't even see how you thought I was being. Secondly, I'll happily admit to being sarcastic, although usually I think I'm just sardonic. What I said was, I don't use it if someone has just proved me wrong on something.. As you had just done.
It's a tad naive to think that just because something is repeated, that makes it true. Do you remember the fuss over John Arne Riise's payslip getting published? Do you think anyone would have been that interested if just anyone could get hold of a player's wage details? Sometimes agents leak supposed salary figures for whatever purpose, but they're not always accurate. Sometimes journalists pluck a figure out of the air that they think will be believed (you see the same happen with transfer fees, the same article claims Bentley is valued at £15m - do you think that's the result of research too?). And sometimes, journalists simply copy what has been said before...

streakyb
Valued squad member

Post by streakyb » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:07 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote:That must of come from somebody or someone doing their research, or it wouldnt have been said so many times...
How do you research something that is not avaliable for public access??

And to be honest who cares what hes on now. the point is how much should we offer him and I have yet to see you put up a proper argument against 60k a week.

Head Rover Heels
Valued squad member

Post by Head Rover Heels » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:17 pm

It's more money than i'll probably make in my working lifetime? ;)

(DOn't really know why i put the wink there, it's true i guess)

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:19 pm

Head Rover Heels wrote:It's more money than i'll probably make in my working lifetime? ;)

(DOn't really know why i put the wink there, it's true i guess)
I think that's an argument against putting you on the right wing.

Head Rover Heels
Valued squad member

Post by Head Rover Heels » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:20 pm

I'd happily have a go for a week