Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Sack race

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:20 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:17 pm
Southampton have sacked Hughes.
I'm not sure he ever turned up to manage them in the first place.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Ha, pretty much.

He did well alright at Fulham but he's been pretty pants everywhere else since leaving us :shrug:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:00 pm

He could have been written off as "pants" here had our board been as trigger happy as some of those other clubs. And that's essentially the problem for all football managers, they're rarely given time to turn around a side that's in bad form. But then they take the jobs knowing what's likely to happen.

Hughes did well at Stoke too and I would have backed them to stay up had they not made the shocking knee jerk decsion to replace him with Lambert. But he walked away from here in pursuit of better things and he's now become another journeyman manager. I wonder if he regrets the decision to leave us?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:10 pm

I agree, I think Stoke were a bit silly when viewed from the outside. Southampton have just learnt from last year.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:00 pm
He could have been written off as "pants" here had our board been as trigger happy as some of those other clubs. And that's essentially the problem for all football managers, they're rarely given time to turn around a side that's in bad form. But then they take the jobs knowing what's likely to happen.

Hughes did well at Stoke too and I would have backed them to stay up had they not made the shocking knee jerk decsion to replace him with Lambert. But he walked away from here in pursuit of better things and he's now become another journeyman manager. I wonder if he regrets the decision to leave us?
The issue with Hughes leaving us was the lure of Man City and the money at the time I guess so from his point of view would have been hard to say no. Like with any prominent former managers and players I keep an eye out for how they do post Rovers and it's been a strange one with him.

My overriding feeling has always been his poor use of money since leaving us. He had to manage his budget with us and work within limits and was generally pretty good at it. When forced to, not every signing was a gem but looking at his first foray into club management and transfers he brought in Benni Mac, Bently, Santa Cruz, Nelson, Warnock and Samba the absolute bedrock of a side that did really well.

At Man City he was given a blank cheque book with little constraint and aside from Zabaleta and possibly a couple of others spent vast sums of money with little to show for it. When back at Fulham I felt there was the signs of him re-finding a formula that worked well with us at a similar sized club with budget constraints but then he decided to walk.

At QPR he was allowed to spend a lot of money again fairly carelessly, either overpaying on players he'd previously bought expecting lightening to striker twice or just paying vast sums for over the hill flops and it was pretty much a disaster.

Stoke is a funny one as he clearly achieved there 2 highest finishes but again started to spend a lot of money but not always that well, although there were some gems in there like Shaqiri and Arnautovic, and things seemed to have gone quite stale and I guess it's an unknown as to whether they'd have stayed up or not.

Southampton just seems like he has become a bit journeyman.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm

Hughes had been shocking everywhere except here... How he keeps getting jobs is beyond me. He's looked absolutely bereft of ideas since he arrived at man city.

At Stoke he bought well (assuming he was in charge of buying) and then took an array of attacking talent and forced then to play insipid percentage football (or sometimes sit on the bench and watch Walters and crouch). He has been every bit as dour as allardyce without the results to compensate.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Dont care about Hughes. Dont care about Southampton. Hopefully no one will tell their new manager about Harrison Reed.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:57 pm

theadore wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm
Hughes had been shocking everywhere except here... How he keeps getting jobs is beyond me. He's looked absolutely bereft of ideas since he arrived at man city.

At Stoke he bought well (assuming he was in charge of buying) and then took an array of attacking talent and forced then to play insipid percentage football (or sometimes sit on the bench and watch Walters and crouch). He has been every bit as dour as allardyce without the results to compensate.
He also bought really badly. Didn’t he spend nearly £30m on Imbula, however much on Affellay too. Plenty of expensive duds.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:27 pm

Mark Hughes could take over at Man Utd? He's already got quite a collection of red and white ties?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Do we think Hughes' departure will help or hinder us trying to get Harrison Reed on a permanent deal next month? :yeahright:

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:10 pm

I think the more important sacking in relation to that was Les Reed. I was reading something about their owners wanting the club to refocus on youth development of their academy as the calibre of player coming through has started to decline.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:28 am