The Champions League Thread

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: The Champions League Thread

Post by theadore » Thu May 02, 2013 9:24 am

I wouldn't say nothing needs to change... although I agree the eulogies are premature.

There are several players for Barcelona who have been found wanting this season... Alexis Sanchez, Pedro and Busquets are all performing dreadfully every time I see them. The lack of centre backs is worth noting, but a defense that contains Pique plus in my opinion the two best full-backs in the game at the moment shouldn't be looking so shaky.

Messi's ridiculous form has covered some of the inadequacy for a while but some rebuilding is required (even if it is from within). I'd like to see....

Fabregas brought into the first 11.... too good a player to hold in reserve.
Where games require, move mascherano into midfield as a ball winner (either move iniesta to the wing, or drop busquets).
A new centre back partner for pique... ideally Puyol from 5 years ago.
A stronger goalscoring threat on the wings.... presuming David Villa's days are numbered as is strongly rumoured.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 02, 2013 9:55 am

They've won 27 and lost just 2 of 33 league games, scoring 101 goals and conceding 35. They reached the Copa del Rey semi-final, and the CL semi-final, only knocked out by other strong sides with equally high expectations in both competitions. That's pretty amazing if their defence is so shaky and a number of players turn out dreadful performances each week... :yeahright:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu May 02, 2013 10:01 am

Indeed... highlights how good some of their players are (and how far behind the rest of la liga/champions league is).

There are simple weaknesses that can and should be addressed though... better to look to improve than stand still.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 02, 2013 10:07 am

Like Rovers sacking Sam Allardyce? :yeahright:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu May 02, 2013 10:09 am

exactly... :)

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Thu May 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Rover the Top wrote:It's good for football to have different teams competing for trophies, instead of the same few clubs all the time.
I'd wholeheartedly agree if I wasn't such a fan and had tickets to the final had we got there!

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Thu May 02, 2013 7:58 pm

theadore wrote:I wouldn't say nothing needs to change... although I agree the eulogies are premature.

There are several players for Barcelona who have been found wanting this season... Alexis Sanchez, Pedro and Busquets are all performing dreadfully every time I see them.
I don't know how much "every time you've seen them" constitutes, but you must have picked pretty much every game Busquets has had a sub-par game to watch. He's been one the most consistent performers this (and the last 3) years. He has dropped off in the last month or so, but like I said the whole team seems to have suffered fitness wise. Agree with you on Sanchez and Pedro though. Pedro hasn't looked the same since Pep left, and Sanchez just doesn't fit in (he's off to Juventus I think).
theadore wrote: The lack of centre backs is worth noting, but a defense that contains Pique plus in my opinion the two best full-backs in the game at the moment shouldn't be looking so shaky.

Messi's ridiculous form has covered some of the inadequacy for a while but some rebuilding is required (even if it is from within). I'd like to see....

Fabregas brought into the first 11.... too good a player to hold in reserve.
Where games require, move mascherano into midfield as a ball winner (either move iniesta to the wing, or drop busquets).
A new centre back partner for pique... ideally Puyol from 5 years ago.
A stronger goalscoring threat on the wings.... presuming David Villa's days are numbered as is strongly rumoured.
I was gonna comment in between quotes but cba...

CBs.....Pique is a good centre half. But is never going to be the number one centre half. He's not got the aura or presence or attitude. Replacing Puyol is the biggest change that needs to be made.

Fabregas brought into the first 11........NO!! Not in the big games anyway. Yes against Majorca. Yes against Getafe. But he just isn't good enough to play in an attacking role against world class defenders. And at the minute there's no room for him in midfield, which is where I think he is best suited. He needs to improve a lot tactically, and make do with rotation until Xavi is gone (even then, I think Thiago is a better player).

Re moving Mascherano into a ball winning position, again I think you underestimate Busquets' quality. He does the job just fine. And the philosophy that has worked is that we defend from the front, with ball retention being the main defensive tactic.

And yup with your last 2 points. I think Humells is on his way. And Neymar too, with Villa heading down the road from me in North London.

rob_of_the_robots
Valued squad member

Post by rob_of_the_robots » Thu May 02, 2013 9:12 pm

I did enjoy seeing Barca brought down a peg or two, people are always over-complementing their oh-so-beautiful (boring) football.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu May 02, 2013 10:01 pm

I never thought Barcelona were boring under Guardiola.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Thu May 02, 2013 10:32 pm

rob_of_the_robots wrote:I did enjoy seeing Barca brought down a peg or two, people are always over-complementing their oh-so-beautiful (boring) football.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yp97KKqjcg[/youtube]

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Fri May 03, 2013 12:36 am

Yeah I don't buy that 'tiki-taka' is boring. The amount of technical ability, both in terms of passing and in their movement, is hypnotic.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Mon May 27, 2013 12:01 pm

rob_of_the_robots
Valued squad member

Post by rob_of_the_robots » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:05 am

Looks like "Give us a free pass to the group stages" Celtic aren't as good as their manager thinks.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:38 am

Now that Rangers are out of the immediate picture, Celtic seem to have realised that they can still win the Scottish league by spending very little. Unfortunately that seems to not be the case with European competition. :lol:

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:53 am

Celtic 1-6 Henning Berg

Not bad