Remember this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl0aIVc27iA[/youtube]
How can we ever forget? :lol: :mygod:

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Re: Portsmouth issued with winding up order from HM Customs

Post by -BARON-23- » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:59 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Hudson wrote:They've got 7 more players they need to get rid of in order to avoid closing:
The thing is, if they do get rid of them, they'll be left with a youth team and a ten point penalty. Another relegation looks a certainty. Maybe the best thing for them is to close down and start a new club?
But why would they want a new club if it's still possible to save the current one? Think of all the history they lose etc, i know i'd hate that to happen here.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:41 pm

How will they lose their history? People consider Accrington Stanley to be the same team that was a founder member of the league and went bust in the 60s, even though technically they were two different clubs. As things stand, Portsmouth are going to drop out of the league altogether, crippled by debts. AFC Wimbledon have shown you can recreate a club and get back into the league within a short period of time, if you've got the backing of a higher level league club. So what's better for Portsmouth in the long term - hang on to what they've got now in the hope that eventually things will stabilise. Or restart and work their way up from the bottom, benefitting from the momentum that will give them.

I was encouraged to see there were Rangers fans who wanted their club to start again at the bottom. They realised they're in for an exciting few years and likely to get successive promotions. When they get back to the SPL, there will be an acceptance that they've served their punishment instead of resentment that the authorities gave them a helping hand. In Portsmouth's case, they can keep suffering for a few more years, or bite the bullet now but start looking forward to what the next few years will bring.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:33 pm

To me it would just seem to be a completely fresh start and your past history doesn't count for shit anymore.

Yes, it would be fun winning games all the time and getting promoted and yes it is clearly an easy way out but it just doesn't feel good or the same club to me.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:02 am

So are Rangers not Rangers anymore in your view?

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:02 am

I agree with RTT. When you are in debt and cannot pay it back the best thing to do is go bankrupt and serve your time and come out the otherside with a clean slate but with the knowledge of not to get in that kind of debt again. The football map rarely changes. The two better clubs on the south coast will always be Portsmouth and Southampton. Good times and bad come and go and in this case it is Southampton who are returning to the good times. A lesson for us maybe though but to get in a state similar to that of Portsmouth is unthinkable to us. Also for the dingles to be in football terms better off than us is unthinkable.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Rover the Top wrote:So are Rangers not Rangers anymore in your view?
No. It shouldn't be. The went bust and now they're a different name etc

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:46 pm

-BARON-23- wrote:
The team is still called Rangers. :shrug:

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
-BARON-23- wrote:
The team is still called Rangers. :shrug:
Isn't it Newco Rangers now or something?

To me it isn't the same Rangers anymore. I understand why Pompy and Rangers would do this but to me it isn't the same club and it is a whole new club.

Don't get me wrong i'd still support Blackburn if it happened to us but it would be a new Blackburn and anything from the past shouldn't count for anything

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:09 pm

The New Rangers is a different team. They've burnt their history in a failed attempt to wiggle out of the consequences of their actions.

Slightly different I know, but when you consider the Wimbledon FC situation, do you consider their history to be attached to AFC Wimbledon, or MK Dons?

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Gibbon wrote:The New Rangers is a different team. They've burnt their history in a failed attempt to wiggle out of the consequences of their actions.

Slightly different I know, but when you consider the Wimbledon FC situation, do you consider their history to be attached to AFC Wimbledon, or MK Dons?
Neither. They're a new team working through the leagues.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Wimbledon FC are dead. Wimbledon AFC are a new team working through the leagues. MK Dons have the history of Wimbledon FC, being exactly the same football club, just registered under a different name.

My point was, (badly made) that Wimbledon AFC are in their supporters eyes the real Wimbledon football club, but they're not, they're exactly like the Rangers Newco, a completely new team with no history to speak of beyond the one they created when they registered their new company.

Having said that, Wimbledon AFC have made AMAZING progress up the leagues. Rangers Newco havea comparatively easy job to get back to where they were.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Gibbon wrote:Wimbledon FC are dead. Wimbledon AFC are a new team working through the leagues. MK Dons have the history of Wimbledon FC, being exactly the same football club, just registered under a different name.

My point was, (badly made) that Wimbledon AFC are in their supporters eyes the real Wimbledon football club, but they're not, they're exactly like the Rangers Newco, a completely new team with no history to speak of beyond the one they created when they registered their new company.

Having said that, Wimbledon AFC have made AMAZING progress up the leagues. Rangers Newco havea comparatively easy job to get back to where they were.
Yeh that's what i've been saying. They've no previous history anymore other than what they've done to move back through the leagues.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:02 pm

I know. I was trying to agree with you. ;)

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Bad comparison. The change of the owning company name has no effect - same name, same stadium, same supporters, same things in the trophy cabinet - all unlike MK Dons.

And they haven't avoided anything - they've got their comeuppance with both barrels. But they are still the Rangers who won all the titles while massively overspending. Or are Portsmouth not Portsmouth anymore? And which of the changes in owning company made them not Portsmouth? And every other club who get their assets transferred between companies when they change hands... :yeahright: