Portsmouth issued with winding up order from HM Customs

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Portsmouth issued with winding up order from HM Customs

Post by Rover the Top » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Gibbon wrote:Wimbledon FC are dead. Wimbledon AFC are a new team working through the leagues. MK Dons have the history of Wimbledon FC, being exactly the same football club, just registered under a different name.
You might have a point if your facts were correct. But they're not... :D MK Dons are considered to have been formed as a new club in 2004 and formally passed Wimbledon's history and trophies to AFC Wimbledon in 2007. The company, "The Rangers Football Club", have taken over everything associated with the old company, including the team which is still called Rangers. Middlesbrough went through the same thing in the 80s, the team's still called Middlesbrough and still retain the history and honours of the original club even though the registered name of the company is different.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Me and Simon don't do this on purpose by the way. We just happen to be right a lot.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:22 pm

Well bollocks.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:10 am

Portsmouth's team last night: A 35 year old coach, a 23 year old goalkeeper, and 9 teenagers, with a 15 year old as one of their 3 subs. And the news today is that Chainrai fella is withdrawing his bid to bail them out again. :(

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:44 am

News that the Portsmouth fans seem delighted about.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:56 am

You know as well as anyone that that doesn't mean a great deal. ;) But maybe we'll get to see if a Supporters' Trust can work as the driving force behind a club now...

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:42 pm

Not for a team like Pompy.

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:26 pm

Supporter's trust has been working well at Wrexham after years of being dicked around by the likes of Alex Hamilton. Stability and modest foundations to build upon. A glass ceiling for that kind of ownership is probably League One. But it's still workable.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:03 pm

Didn't really want to start a new thread but Hearts are the latest club to go into administration. Another club owned by foreigners like Portsmouth who have hit hard times. No doubt the fans were promised better things to come like those at Portsmouth. I bit like us really too but our saving grace is our owners seem quite good at what they do away from football. I feel sorry for fans who see their clubs existence threatened. Hope it works out for the fans of Hearts.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:06 pm

SPL, who gives a fuck :lol:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:42 pm

Darth Rover wrote:Didn't really want to start a new thread but Hearts are the latest club to go into administration. Another club owned by foreigners like Portsmouth who have hit hard times. No doubt the fans were promised better things to come like those at Portsmouth. I bit like us really too but our saving grace is our owners seem quite good at what they do away from football. I feel sorry for fans who see their clubs existence threatened. Hope it works out for the fans of Hearts.
...and Rangers, Coventry, Plymouth, Southampton... no, hang on a minute... :yeahright:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Darth Rover wrote:Didn't really want to start a new thread but Hearts are the latest club to go into administration. Another club owned by foreigners like Portsmouth who have hit hard times. No doubt the fans were promised better things to come like those at Portsmouth. I bit like us really too but our saving grace is our owners seem quite good at what they do away from football. I feel sorry for fans who see their clubs existence threatened. Hope it works out for the fans of Hearts.
...and Rangers, Coventry, Plymouth, Southampton... no, hang on a minute... :yeahright:
I only quoted Portsmouth :D The point i was making was even though we have foreign owners and have suffered somewhat under their ownership we are lucky not to have suffered the same fate as Hearts and Portsmouth. Not yet anyway.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea all have foreign owners, doesn't appear to be working out that badly for them. My point being, if a British owner wrecks a club, no one highlights where they come from. Yet if they're from overseas, it's always mentioned as if it's part of the problem. I just don't see why it's necessary, there's no pattern to justify drawing these negative stereotypes about foreign owners. :shrug:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea all have foreign owners, doesn't appear to be working out that badly for them. My point being, if a British owner wrecks a club, no one highlights where they come from. Yet if they're from overseas, it's always mentioned as if it's part of the problem. I just don't see why it's necessary, there's no pattern to justify drawing these negative stereotypes about foreign owners. :shrug:
Thinking about this you definitely have a point. Take Wolves for example. Failed more than Rovers in the last two seasons but it is Rovers who have largely received more bad press. Rovers have though given the press more to talk about than say Wolves. In Rovers case there is a strong point to suggest the recent failings are down to errors from the owners. The same can be said at Wolves but because their owners are not foreign then blame for the failings maybe more widespread instead of being directly aimed at the owners. So it is probably more fair to suggest failings at Rovers are more down to inexperience of the owners rather than their nationality. But then Man U and Man City have both foreign owners and have done well in the last few years with new owners :shrug: . Maybe the trick is not to change a successful formula. Something Venky's didn't do. Half way in the premier league with an unpopular manager we would probably take now but nearly three seasons of meddling as caused more trouble than anything.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:51 am

I think in the history of most clubs, there's ups and downs. And they're not just all down to what the club itself does. Man City getting taken over had a knock on effect to all the clubs in the PL, they pushed up wage budgets so that it became more expensive for mid-table clubs to stand still. Teams like Bolton and Wigan were doing well just to stay up. The quality of Rovers' squad was diminishing as we kept having to cash in on players to make ends meet. We may have stayed up for a few seasons longer, but no matter how well the club was being run, the probability of relegation was increasing.

But I agree that the trick is stability. Accept you will have downward spells, dust yourselves down and go again. The problem is, most owners, fans, even players aren't patient enough to wait for fortunes to change. So we have this ridiculous situation where a short term run of bad results means the manager gets sacked rather than gets the time to fix what's wrong with his plans. The problem with that is, the next manager comes in with his own ideas, which will need time to be developed and improved. It's more than likely that they will also then have a difficult spell where their plans stop working, so they get sacked and the cycle starts again. I'm convinced Rovers will eventually bounce back, but it's going to take longer if they keep making changes at the top. I'd rather we stuck with unpopular people and give them the chance to prove immediate impressions wrong.