Bubble burst at ManU?

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Darth Rover
Ageing international

Bubble burst at ManU?

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Has the bubble burst at Man U. There as been many claims over the last ten years or more that Man United dominance of the EPL is over. They have always bounced back though. Is it a different story now?...The signs that United cannot compete with big money clubs like Chelsea and Man City are there. The departure of both Ronaldo and Tevez as been unforgiven by United fans. Players like Scholes,Giggs and Neville although still good players are not getting any younger. The current crop of young stars don't seem to measure up to expectation. The manager isn't getting any younger either. Although being second in the EPL and being in the champions league may not suggest a decline united fans are starting to voice concerns about their club. At the height of success there was a long waiting time for season tickets but now this is not the case.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Bubble burst at ManU?

Post by Rover the Top » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:57 pm

I still reckon they'll win the league this year. People seem to have it in their heads that they won every game of the season with previous teams. Apart from a slip up in the FA Cup, which happens to even the best teams every now and then, their season is on track.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:27 am

no, they're just havinan injury crisis.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:59 am

It is right to say United didn't win every game in previous seasons and they do have injuries to first team players at the moment. It is reasonable to assume that United fans will spit the dummy out when things don't go their way hence the current rumblings coming from the prawn sandwich faithful. As i stated previously United have gone through sticky patches before and come out of it as strong as ever. I believe though there are differences this time. Liverpool were like ManU in the seventies and eighties. Alex Ferguson is now 68 and surely quieter life must be calling. He said recently there is about two years left in Ryan Giggs and i think the same could be said about himself.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:40 am

they just never replaced tevez and ronaldo well...

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Savory wrote:they just never replaced tevez and ronaldo well...
Well.....we can use both Ronaldo and Tevez as examples.......its becoming quite obvious that United cannot attract the players they need to maintain the standards we have seen of United teams over the last decade or so nor can they hang on to the quality players they have. All this points to a decline in prominance on the pitch. I can see a further decline once the influences of both Scholes and Giggs becomes less. United have posted a 48 million profit today. Not bad for a team in decline so after all i might be proved wrong in what i'm saying. Thing is i don't see United producing a quality team of young players like when Scholes,Giggs, Beckham, Neville all came into the first team. Also i don't see United being able to attract the worlds best quite so easily especially when there is an increasing amount of money in the game from other clubs. Time will tell whether i'm right or not in assuming all this but for me i think United are at a cross roads.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:34 pm

48 million in profit following selling a player for 80 million and not spending much of it, mind.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:06 pm

Ferguson is turning into Benitez and building a team full of "average-very good" players.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:10 pm

Joe wrote:Ferguson is turning into Benitez and building a team full of "average-very good" players.
what are you onabout?

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Savory wrote:
Joe wrote:Ferguson is turning into Benitez and building a team full of "average-very good" players.
what are you onabout?
Ferguson is turning into Benitez and building a team full of "average-very good" players.

joep89
Experienced international star

Post by joep89 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:19 pm

Joe wrote:
Savory wrote:
what are you onabout?
Haha good one Joe. You seriously don't understand that Savory? Gettin rid of shit, but replacing it with average players, or selling on better players to buy more average players. Get it?

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:31 pm

no i just dont think thats what ferguson is doing at all, benitez yes, but not ferguson.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:35 pm

joep89 wrote:
Joe wrote:
Savory wrote:
what are you onabout?
Gettin rid of shit, but replacing it with average players, or selling on better players to buy more average players. Get it?
I didn't think it took a genius to work out which one of your scenarios covered selling Christiano Ronaldo and Tevez, and bringing in Valencia and Obertan. Sorry.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:56 pm

what you being sorry for?

you said a 'team' tevez was never replaced, ronaldo is irreplacable, valencia's not a bad player. united seemed to be only interested in balancin their books this season.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 pm

I watched a report on sky sports news tonight about the state of finances at United. It is frightening how much interest there paying on debts. It was something like £47,000 per hour. For how long can a club maintain this kind of running expenses and not only survive but compete. We have all heard about financial problems with clubs like Liverpool who may have to sell some of the better players and of course Portsmouth. Maybe having Rovers in mid table and mediocre but financially sound doesn't sound to bad after all.