Lionel Messi

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Joe
Ageing international

Lionel Messi

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 am

I've pretty much become a Barca fan this year, seeing as nearly all their games are on Sky.

And I can now say with no doubt in my mind at all, that Messi is the best player I've ever seen. His second goal yesterday pretty much defines him. Strength, the quickest feet I've ever seen, acceleration and pin-point finishing.

Savory
Promising manager

Re: Lionel Messi

Post by Savory » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:33 pm

I agree but its taken you this long to realise? :hyper:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:40 pm

Joe wrote:I've pretty much become a Barca fan this year,
Traitor.

joep89
Experienced international star

Post by joep89 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:52 pm

I'm going to watch them in May, but cannot decide whether to go to Barca v Osasuna, Sevilla v Barca, or indeed both. I regularly get locked in arguments about Real/Barca, and people jusr randomly criticising English football. Can't wait to see him play, but I'm almost certain that he will be injured when I watch them. Where do we think he rates amongst the worlds best e.g Maradona, Pele etc

For me, I think by the end of his career, he will have been possibly the greatest to have lived, but in the current footballing world, with Ronaldo and Rooney etc it will be much harder to do. Although he is at the right club, so some sustained success over the next 5/10 years will pretty much secure his number 1 status

joep89

Post by joep89 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:53 pm

Savory wrote:I agree but its taken you this long to realise? :hyper:
Everyone knew this, but in the last few weeks he has been absolutely mind blowing. 8 goals in the last 3 games?? 8)

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:38 pm

joep89 wrote:I'm going to watch them in May, but cannot decide whether to go to Barca v Osasuna, Sevilla v Barca, or indeed both. I regularly get locked in arguments about Real/Barca, and people jusr randomly criticising English football. Can't wait to see him play, but I'm almost certain that he will be injured when I watch them. Where do we think he rates amongst the worlds best e.g Maradona, Pele etc

For me, I think by the end of his career, he will have been possibly the greatest to have lived, but in the current footballing world, with Ronaldo and Rooney etc it will be much harder to do. Although he is at the right club, so some sustained success over the next 5/10 years will pretty much secure his number 1 status

I can't really comment on greatest player of all time. But in my time, he's recently surpassed Zidane and the original Ronaldo as the best player I have ever seen. It's also interesting that people who have seen Pele and Best in their prime are starting to say that Messi is probably better than they were now. It's always going to be a tough argument though. It's really a different game to what it was back then.

I'd go to both games. I really want to go to the Nou Camp one day. Also isn't it quite cheap over there for a game?
Rover the Top wrote:
Joe wrote:I've pretty much become a Barca fan this year,
Traitor.
Obviously they're my second team. If we ever drew them in the Champs league, I'd be supporting us. . . . .

I don't know if it's coincidence or not that I've become a much bigger fan of Barcelona, as well as Arsenal, two of the best footballing teams in the world, around the same time as us starting to play the direst football I've seen us play.

joep89

Post by joep89 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:41 pm

Its not so cheap for the big teams and games such as Sevilla v Barca. But I'm not bothered, I'm only here a couple more months and have only been to see Real, so I need to make the most of it

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:53 pm

joep89 wrote:I'm going to watch them in May, but cannot decide whether to go to Barca v Osasuna, Sevilla v Barca, or indeed both.
The Nou Camp is an excellent stadium to visit, but as with many big clubs, the crowd were a bit flat. The Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan stadium, on the other hand, had one of the best atmospheres I've experienced. Plus I think Seville is a nicer city than Barcelona. If you want to see some exhibition football from Barca, go to the Osasuna game. If you want to a more competitive game and to savour the experience, I reckon the Sevilla game will be better.

joep89

Post by joep89 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Think I'm gonna do both you know, why the hell not!! The Bernabeu was a big let down, but I fancy going Bilbao, because they have amazing fans

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:58 pm

More importantly, Real Sociedad are top of the second division... :hyper:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:19 pm

tomthebodz
Regular international

Post by tomthebodz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:37 pm

Please don't put Rooney in the same boat as Messi. Rooney is an arrogant fucker who can only play well up front.

Messi is humble and is a more complete player he can play all across the front 3 (Left and Right Wing and as a striker) I also have no doubt that if needs be he could play in central midfielder. I know who i'd prefer to play for us.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:46 pm

He's not in the same league as Messi. But nobody is.

Rooney's still a hell of a player though. And in the last few years I'd say his personality has improved. Fergie seems to have done him well, and he seems pretty down to earth if I'm honest. I've got every part of my body crossed hoping he won't be injured for the Summer. (I wouldn't mind him picking up a knock to put him out of our game, and maybe a few others to ensure United don't win the league.)

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:02 pm

tomthebodz wrote:Rooney is an arrogant fucker who can only play well up front
well his job is to play up front so just as well, plus he's not arrogant at all, even off the pitch he seems like a decent lad and his feet are firmly on the ground.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:20 pm

I wouldn't argue with calling Messi the best entertainer. But I have seen games pass him by, whereas Rooney will always try to get involved. I think it would be a tough call to separate them if you looked at what makes the complete footballer. I reckon Essien is up there with them, but he does a different job for the team and doesn't make as many highlight reels.